Steinberg - Please fire your website designers

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: Steinberg - Please fire your website designers

Postby jamusic » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:15 am

I'm not bothered by this site's design, layout or a few extra clicks here & there.

Much better things to focus on these days.

But hey - who am to say?
-C7.5.20 -Win 7-x64 Home -Intel i7-2600k -ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro -Antec High Current 520w -16 Gigs RAM
-Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler -3 SSDs -WD 1TB Black Caviar Hard Drive -2 WD & 1 Touro 1TB External USB 3 Drives
-TC Electronic SK 48 Audio Interface -Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Mixer -Roland UM-550 MIDI Interface
-Neumann TLM 103 Mic -DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip Pre Amp/Comp -ART DPS II Tube Pre -Amp
-Yamaha P-200/88 & Nektar Panorama P6/61 Keyboards -V-Drums/Roland TD-6
-4003 Rickenbacker Fireglow Bass -5 Guitars -4 Sound Modules

jamusic

Postby Ed Doll » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 am

papi61 wrote:
Ed Doll wrote:This is why web browsers have this brilliant feature called bookmarks. It's not like every user has the same priorities and interests when browsing our website content and this is why some pages require more than one click.

That's not a good excuse for clunky web design. Most sites have site maps where you can reach every part of it with a single click. You should consider it, but then again you made it abundantly clear that you think your website is blameless and perfect and therefore you don't accept any suggestion. Pity.

Why is everything either black or white these days? Of course, the website has room for improvement - a lot actually - and the guys we decided not to fire are currently working on improvements. Judging the website by taking the separate forum (it's just phpBB) as an example isn't the best choice me thinks ;)
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Ed Doll
Site Admin

Postby David L » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:11 am

Webdesigners don't prioritize content? Isn't that the job of usability experts and business experts?

Anyways, more clicks are often preferred these days, as opposed to link-spaghetti where you struggle to find the one link you're looking for. I don't find the Steinberg site particularly bad at all. And when i need the forum i'll just type www.steinberg.net/forums and hit enter, suddenly i'm on the forum reading this thread. Goes fast.

If i were to point to anything particular that i'd personally ask of Steinbergs web crew, i'd ask them to make the link menues more accessible to mobile users. I use my iPhone to surf more often than a computer these days, and those links in those dropdowns can be hard to click in time(?) (have to zoom in or else i'll hit the banner beneath for some reason)
David L

Postby BriHar » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 am

I don't see what the fuss is all about, this forum is not much different to others I've been on (Forums that is).
Much ado about nothing, and all the result of a single disgruntled one-time poster! :roll:
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.20 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby jamusic » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:16 pm

Ed Doll wrote:
papi61 wrote:
Ed Doll wrote:This is why web browsers have this brilliant feature called bookmarks. It's not like every user has the same priorities and interests when browsing our website content and this is why some pages require more than one click.

That's not a good excuse for clunky web design. Most sites have site maps where you can reach every part of it with a single click. You should consider it, but then again you made it abundantly clear that you think your website is blameless and perfect and therefore you don't accept any suggestion. Pity.

Why is everything either black or white these days? Of course, the website has room for improvement - a lot actually - and the guys we decided not to fire are currently working on improvements. Judging the website by taking the separate forum (it's just phpBB) as an example isn't the best choice me thinks ;)

+1

And you wanna talk about a messed up forum, find a time machine, jump in it, strap yourself down, hold on tight & and go back to within the last 12 months or so over at the Cakewalk forums.

Boy oh boy what a freakin' mess that was and it took the better part of this last year to finally fix it.
I'm talkin' about double & triple posts, strike-through lines crossing out sections of your post - but only certain sections - and only sometimes.

Others not being able to post at all, etc. etc.

When I bought Cubase this summer, I was relieved to be back on a working, fully functional forum after dealing with that mess for a year or so.

If Cakewalk, a 'software-selling' company, let that forum software debacle go on for a year, despite countless complaints, and yet still kept on using that web design group, firing anyone here seems far too harsh, don't you think?

I mean - think about perspective customers who joined their forums and what their first impressions must have been.
Surely some of them would have thought, "Gee, do I really want to purchase this software when they [or whomever they've hired] can't even get their forums right?"

So I see no need to rock this boat after that one damn near sunk!

And some guy joins this forum, posts one time and his first suggestion is to have people fired here?

The nerve!
The audacity!

And just who is this guy anyway?

Someone from Protools or Logic or Reaper or something?

With all due respect, shouldn't he be the one to be 'let go'?
-C7.5.20 -Win 7-x64 Home -Intel i7-2600k -ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro -Antec High Current 520w -16 Gigs RAM
-Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler -3 SSDs -WD 1TB Black Caviar Hard Drive -2 WD & 1 Touro 1TB External USB 3 Drives
-TC Electronic SK 48 Audio Interface -Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Mixer -Roland UM-550 MIDI Interface
-Neumann TLM 103 Mic -DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip Pre Amp/Comp -ART DPS II Tube Pre -Amp

jamusic

Postby foolomon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:13 am

Ed Doll wrote:
The dman wrote:
papi61 wrote:How many clicks does it require to get from the Steinberg home page to here?

WAY TOO MANY.

No kidding. No other forums I visit take as many clicks to get to where I'm going. Maybe the web designer worked on V7 and is used to the extra clicks. :)

Two clicks here... way too many indeed! ;)

No clicks here. Sign in once, check the Keep Me Logged In box, then set a bookmark to the Steinberg Lounge forum. I type in three letters in the address bar and here I am with no clicks. ;)

"Just call me Larry."

Dell Lattitude E6430 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit + 16GB RAM)
AMD-Phenom II based system (Windows 7 64-bit + 8GB DDR3 RAM)
Tascam US-144 / M-Audio 2496 interfaces

Other hardware: Too much to mention here
Software: Cubase 6.5; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, FabFilter, Native Instruments, Sound Toys, and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!
foolomon

Postby twilightsong » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:22 am

I get here to the Forum(s) using just one click, a bookmark. I have a separate bookmark for the overall steinberg.net site, which I don't visit often
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember
twilightsong

Postby jamusic » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:01 am

twilightsong wrote:I get here to the Forum(s) using just one click, a bookmark. I have a separate bookmark for the overall steinberg.net site, which I don't visit often

Ditto! A bookmark that takes me right to the login - which is saved. Just 2 clicks & I'm in - too easy.

jamusic

Postby curteye » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 am

BriHar wrote:Much ado about nothing, and all the result of a single disgruntled one-time poster! :roll:

Major +1
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
breaking in a Mac Pro.

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Jarno » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:44 pm

BriHar wrote:I don't see what the fuss is all about, this forum is not much different to others I've been on (Forums that is).

Nothing wrong with forum IMO. It's Steinberg website, which is a mess.
Cubase4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl drumkit | Olympic by Premier drumkit | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier
Jarno

Postby Ed Doll » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:43 pm

I guess, it is okay to close this one now. Updates for the website are in the making.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Ed Doll
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Steinberg Lounge