Performance on Mac

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Performance on Mac

Postby Steve Helstrip » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:23 pm

I've spent the past 2 weeks on a collaboration which required Logic Pro 9. I am gob smacked by how much more you can throw at Logic before processing power becomes an issue. The project we worked on was over 100 tracks and very heavy on instruments and effects, and never once came close to maxing out the CPU. In contrast, similar projects in Cubase max out well before and require tracks to be frozen or bounced.

I wont be switching to Logic, as I prefer Cubase's workflow, but wow, what a difference! Even the GUI (which I dislike) was very responsive right to the end.


That's all.
Mac Pro i7, 12Gb, OSX10.9 MacBook Pro i7, 4Gb, OSX10.9
Cubase 7.5
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial
User avatar
Steve Helstrip
Member
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:23 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Performance on Mac

Postby David L » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:05 pm

Yep, that was the first thing i noticed when jumping onto Cubase from LP9, as a sofaproducer on an ancient 2.4GHz dualcore macbook pro the differences are astonishing.
David L
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:42 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Performance on Mac

Postby swamptone » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:40 pm

I started using Cubase on a Mac. Never ran very well. So I switched to a PC DAW. Runs great now.

I used to be a Mac Zealot. No more. The new Mavericks OS stinks. Bad.
formerly known as prism
User avatar
swamptone
Member
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:19 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Performance on Mac

Postby David L » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:50 pm

swamptone wrote:I started using Cubase on a Mac. Never ran very well. So I switched to a PC DAW. Runs great now.

I used to be a Mac Zealot. No more. The new Mavericks OS stinks. Bad.

That is your opinion and you're entitled to it but imo this thread was about differences in daw performances on mac, and not mac-win bashfest / how windows daws compare to ones on mac..
David L
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:42 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Performance on Mac

Postby DG » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:54 pm

The performance difference between logic and Cubase is somewhat dependent on what you are doing and what your workflow is. If you are working with Virtual Instruments and are playing in Live mode, Logic can initially appear much more efficient, but there is a tipping point, where everything goes horribly wrong. If you are not using live mode, Logic adds an extra buffer, so in order to get the same performance with Cubase, just increase your soundcard buffer. FWIW this is sort of what ASIO Guard is designed to do.

DG
Nuendo 6.06
2 x Intel Xeon X5675 3.07GHz Hex Core
48GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
DG
Member
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:08 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Performance on Mac

Postby swamptone » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:26 pm

David L wrote:
swamptone wrote:I started using Cubase on a Mac. Never ran very well. So I switched to a PC DAW. Runs great now.

I used to be a Mac Zealot. No more. The new Mavericks OS stinks. Bad.


That is your opinion and you're entitled to it but imo this thread was about differences in daw performances on mac, and not mac-win bashfest / how windows daws compare to ones on mac..


The point is that Cubase runs better on a well spec'd PC than a Mac. Always has. I'm not engaging in a "mac-win bashfest"; just sharing my experience having run both platforms and finding Cubase running on a Win7 platform to be superior.

Even though this is a Steinberg Cubase forum, I don't care if folks want to drag Logic (or Mac, or Logic on a Mac) into the discussion. But don't accuse me of starting a "bashfest" when the thread itself is bound to elicit strong "opinion" that may run counter to your own.

I repeat, Mavericks OS stinks real bad. That comes from someone that has run Macs since 1985. YMMV
formerly known as prism
User avatar
swamptone
Member
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:19 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Performance on Mac

Postby AP » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:45 am

My projects can go up to 48 tracks with FX and Group Channels and my performance meter is always below 50%.
7.5 is Rock Solid on OSX 10.9. Cubase 7.5 has a better and faster workflow Logic Pro X is an inferior DAW unfortunately always behind cubase.
Cubase 7.5.20, MacBook Pro i7, Mac OSX 10.9, UR28M, CMC. Triebwerk, Hypnotic Dance, NI Skanner XT, The Finger, Funk Guitarist. Strum Acoustic Session, EZDrummer.
User avatar
AP
Junior Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Performance on Mac

Postby HowlingUlf » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:36 am

swamptone wrote:
David L wrote:
swamptone wrote:I started using Cubase on a Mac. Never ran very well. So I switched to a PC DAW. Runs great now.

I used to be a Mac Zealot. No more. The new Mavericks OS stinks. Bad.


That is your opinion and you're entitled to it but imo this thread was about differences in daw performances on mac, and not mac-win bashfest / how windows daws compare to ones on mac..


The point is that Cubase runs better on a well spec'd PC than a Mac. Always has. I'm not engaging in a "mac-win bashfest"; just sharing my experience having run both platforms and finding Cubase running on a Win7 platform to be superior.

Even though this is a Steinberg Cubase forum, I don't care if folks want to drag Logic (or Mac, or Logic on a Mac) into the discussion. But don't accuse me of starting a "bashfest" when the thread itself is bound to elicit strong "opinion" that may run counter to your own.

I repeat, Mavericks OS stinks real bad. That comes from someone that has run Macs since 1985. YMMV


Some people prefer sympathy over solutions! ;)
Gothenburg, Sweden
Cubase 7.5 32 | Intel i7 860 | 8GB | Win7 64 | Emu 1820M | BCR2000 | MPD16 via MIDI
and a few cables ... and some more stuff ... and even more than that, would you believe it ?!!?
User avatar
HowlingUlf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:58 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Performance on Mac

Postby curteye » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:46 am

AP wrote:My projects can go up to 48 tracks with FX and Group Channels and my performance meter is always below 50%.
7.5 is Rock Solid on OSX 10.9.


+1
Same here. No probs.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
User avatar
curteye
Grand Senior Member
 
Posts: 4347
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:03 am
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 105 times


Return to Steinberg Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest