L/R EQ Effect on Bass

Your bass is distorted too. What are you using for a DI?

Very interesting.
I believe this is the technique employed by the PSP PseudoStereo plugin which I use quite a bit.
The extra benefit of this method (EQing vs. phase alteration /delays) is that it appears to collapse to mono in a very transparent way.

More info here->
http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/tools_and_meters/psp_pseudostereo/

Well, this wasnā€™t the raw signal. I exported the track from the song into a WAV file, which I then tinkered with. So youā€™re getting this:

Fender Jazz > EnVoice MKII > NI Supercharger > EQ trick

The EnVoice was set to enough tube saturation to keep the saturation indicator from going into the red. Since I know you have the dual-channel version of this, you know what I mean. The Supercharger was using the Bass preset, which is about 1/3 compression, 100% wet. But this is a coloring compressor, so Iā€™m sure any distortion youā€™re hearing is coming from that.

Interesting. I never heard of PSP. :confused:

Maybe the secret trick is ā€¦

a stereo bass . :confused:

Like a Rickenbacker or an Epiphone Zenith ( discontinued now , but Iā€™ve got one :wink: )

Interesting point. Iā€™m simply concerned with making the bass cut through the mix a bit more without the listener being able to detect that thereā€™s actually something going on with the bass line. Consider this as an analogy: playing a stereo bass but making the listener think itā€™s mono. :laughing:

I vote we ban Tomā€™s avatarā€¦ :open_mouth:

Larry,

Nice experiment. The only thing to consider is the human earsā€™ " equal loudness contour". 9db in this area for many of us has a lesser perceived loudness than say 1kHz. And even that will vary a bunch even just based on age. Too bad we all werenā€™t born with the same base line

Heheā€¦ For some reason my logo transformed into a sexy cow! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I realized this at the time. Higher frequency = more energy = smaller dB boost are needed to achieve the same result.

Fool em, foolomon!

Turn that bass to stereo on the sweet parts, and back to mono when it needs to be solid, or vice versa.

No one will know what hit em.

I like to have several basses loaded (as VST) for different character but when I need it to function as a bass, in comes olā€™mono.

I donā€™t follow either of you here. Why would a 9db boost be less perceived in the lower octaves vs higher? I understand the fletcher munson curve. The curve is static at fixed volumes. I just did a test here and a 9db bass boosts is as noticeable as a trebleā€¦ Ya lost me.

Hi Tom,

Possibly another way to illustrate it is to say that the perceived loudness of a tone at 1kHz would require an increase in spl of a 30Hz for the 30hz tone to be perceived as equally loud as the 1kHz tone to the human ear simply as a limitation of the mechanics and the neuro function of a normal ear.

Thatā€™s just 'udderā€™ly ridiculous! :laughing:

Now thatā€™s just called: ā€˜milking itā€™!
{ā€˜-ā€™}

'Mooooā€™ving on ā€¦ does anyone know if itā€™s possible to automate my high/low 'passā€™tures?

Me too! :mrgreen:
My Ricky, visible in my Avatar, has 2 jacks.
One called Standard for Mono play, and one for what they call Rick-o-Sound, whereby you can split the top 2 and bottom 2 strings into 2 individual tracks for separate recording & processing. :slight_smile:

[Sorry for going a little OT.]

I guess that went Past-your-eyes.
:laughing:

Hahaha!

:laughing: