"Quit" Cubase? - I Don't Want To, So I'll Always Use The "X"

To me, to “quit” something connotes a meaning of leaving something, most likely permanently. So it’s weird to me that Steinberg uses the term “Quit” as the name of the function to “exit” or “close” Cubase.

Luckily, I don’t think I ever used the “Quit” function to close Cubase and now I am wondering if that is the reason my Cubase runs perfectly with no real issues. I’m thinking that maybe it is bad luck to use the “Quit” button. If used, maybe Cubase will never start again? Maybe the users who always report that they have the big stability and/or corruption issues use the “Quit” button?

Scary thoughts for sure, but for me… I’m stickin with that “X” button. :wink:

Regards :sunglasses:

I usually just go outside and unplug my main electric meter when I want to end a Cubase project :laughing:

But I bet there are some who feel the same way about the ‘X’ as you do the ‘Quit’ button …I’d assume they both point to the exact same command function… but maybe Steinberg put in a secret code in the ‘Quit’ button :bulb: :question: :smiling_imp: :ugeek:

Steinberg is a german company to start with, and they also began back in the Atari ST days. I did not use Windows until Win 95, so I cannot speak on it, but File > Quit was used on Atari ST.

As for the word Quit, I would say that there is nothing wrong about the context it is used in. Even dictionary.com have examples of the term relating to repeating or temporary situations, e.g. “She quit what she was doing to help me paint the house.” and “They quit the city for the seashore every summer.”.

What about [Alt + F4], the keyboard shortcut? Could be a mind-blower!

beenden

Nobody likes a quitter, since Cubase, I have few friends :confused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

I suppose that every time I actually say I am going to quit something I do… well at least until I do that same something again. So I guess I actually just exited or closed that something. What the…? :wink:

I dunno… I’m still sticking with the “X” button.

Regards :sunglasses:

Aloha guys,

I don’t seem to have an ''X". Perhaps it is a PC thang.

On the other hand:

I love conspiracy theories.
All conspiracy theories.
And I believe them all.

Tell us more more more more more.
{‘-’}

:laughing: Aloha Curt …they sure are a lot of fun anyway :smiley:

And never having been on a Mac myself, I guess Macs not having an ‘X’ is another conspiracy :wink:

Well, the ‘X’ supposedly marks the spot…

A Ha! I knew it!
Now we are on to something!
What that is tho’, I don’t have a clue; other than this very weird thread. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
{‘-’}

Quit is because the program is written in C or Delphi.

I thought Cubase was written in Q+, which evolved from B, C, C++, C#, etc. I thought this was also the reason why so many people out there seem to think the name is really Qbase (or even Qubase). Well, that goes to show that complex thoughts are not always rational, sometimes even oddly irrational with a semi-rational but illogical reasoning (or using unreasonable logic, for those who prefer it back asswards).

I see this has been noted. Interesting. I posted about the Quit “issue,” here, My top feature damand! for the new version (tic)! - #5 by Stephen57 - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums

I reluctantly use the Quit command, but don’t like how it feels to say “Quit” after spending hours with the sounds I’m working on. I think I would like “Close Cubase” more than Quit. Clicking the X is probably the best way out, like ripping off the band aid quickly. I’ll try that, but, no matter what my DEMAND still stands! :laughing:

Tnx :wink:

This is the real X files.

Don’t tell anyone. The truth is not out there, the truth is here.

I always save the file before quitting (CTRL-ALT-S before CTRL-SHIFT-S), and have never had the problem so oft-described.

Do the folks who have the problem not save the project before quitting?

Here’s my departure procedure:

1. Save Project (perhaps as New Version)
  2. Close Project
  3. Exit Cusbae, using the deprecated Quit command or clicking X

My crashes, if I have them, are on loading projects, not exiting the program.

Exactly the same as mine, and I don’t think I’ve ever had a crash on quitting.

Cubase, I can’t quit you!!!