Research Project

Well, we all like a good buffet, :laughing: … however, I can offer a little personal history Paul.

First exposure to sampling was on the Ensoniq Mirage around 1985? , 8 bit, floppy based. We were pretty stoked by what we could suddenly do with a keyboard. Graduated to Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000s, our studio eventually had four of them, there was not much RAM to work with in those, but the 12 bit samples were a big step up from the Mirage. oooh! :laughing:

Next was the Roland S550, finally 16 bit… after which I took a long sabbatical from the business. Always the issue then was sample time, it surpassed the predecessors, but still, not much RAM.

When I re-entered the recording world about 10 years ago, much had changed, and ROMplers were everywhere, for music composition one did not really need to sample anymore (assuming the sounds you want already exist). Add to this the advent of the DAW, one can drop samples wherever you like, the need for hardware samplers seems to me to be far less important. Depends on what Genre you’re into, and what sort of work your getting.

I was recently given an ancient Emu e64, I racked it, turned it on once so far in the last three months… hard to get excited.

As for quality, I cant really see the need to go beyond the level we are at now. The human ear has its limits, and seeing as the world likes compressed audio these days, its less important to go so high end.

As for remixers, I don’t believe in it, however sampling may be important to them that do, but I cant buy the ethics.

My 2 cents :nerd: