Feature Addition Request: Save As Template WITHOUT MEDIA

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Feature Addition Request: Save As Template WITHOUT MEDIA

Postby mart » Wed May 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Scenario:
You are Recording a Band 5 Song Session.
After Song 1 is done the project setup and mixer levels etc are nicely in place so you decide you want to save a Template
However Cubase keeps all of its links to Audio files when you save this Template

Now start a new Project using this new template. The project opens up with all settings, tracks etc but also all Audio files. But what you really want is a blank canvas. So you decide to select all and delete and then go to the Pool and Delete Thrash.

Go back to Song one in the session and load it. All of your audio is now deleted forever.

Surely, as in Protools, there should be an option when saving a template to include or not include media at this stage. Minimal programming effort involved.

The same goes for the save selected tracks feature. Useful when you want to save a 16 mic track setup for another song. But there is also no option to NOT include media. Also while we're at it, when you import a stereo file from a save selected track XML file the stereo input will always be set to NO BUS and have to go through each one reassigning it.
2008 MAC PRO 8 Core, 6 Gig Ram running BOOTCAMP Windows 64 bit Ultimate. Cubase 7.5.2. 1 OCTO UAD, Protools HD3, Vienna Ensemble Pro with Slave Machine.
mart

Re: Feature Addition Request: Save As Template WITHOUT MEDIA

Postby HughH » Wed May 04, 2011 12:31 pm

I simply save the project - then delete all the media from the time line AND the pool (specify "remove from pool", not "Delete").

Then save as a template and close the project - making sure NOT to "save project" when you close.

Now you can use the template as many times as you need.

Hugh
Cubase 7.5.2 64bit
W7 i7 12G ASUS MB Studio Machine, Dual Monitors
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn) / Novation AutoMap (Nocturn)
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
VEP5
W7 i7 Sony VAIO Laptop 8G Slave/Remote Machine
RME Digiface PCIe for both
HughH

Postby mart » Wed May 04, 2011 12:38 pm

The point is that you need to go to those lengths, being careful not to delete something you shouldnt (as in all of the audio for song one)
2008 MAC PRO 8 Core, 6 Gig Ram running BOOTCAMP Windows 64 bit Ultimate. Cubase 7.5.2. 1 OCTO UAD, Protools HD3, Vienna Ensemble Pro with Slave Machine.
mart

Postby JasonL » Thu May 05, 2011 8:19 am

I think this would be an awesome feature.
JasonL

Postby Chris Beuermann » Thu May 05, 2011 10:18 am

The same goes for the save selected tracks feature. Useful when you want to save a 16 mic track setup for another song. But there is also no option to NOT include media

Make a Track Preset and you are done. Doesn't take more then a second

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Beuermann

Postby Sonik » Thu May 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Chris Beuermann wrote:
The same goes for the save selected tracks feature. Useful when you want to save a 16 mic track setup for another song. But there is also no option to NOT include media

Cheers,

Chris

But one Track Preset for all the tracks? Or for each one you've to save it as Track Preset?
MacPro 8 core 12gb HD 5770 10.8.5|Cubase 7.5.20|Wavelab 8.03|Protools 10|Logic X|3xUAD-2|
Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|API 512c|Avedis MA5|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Neumann M147|Apogee Symphony|Apogee Rosetta 200|RME Fireface 800|Euphonix McMix x2|
Halion Sonic|Komplete8|Korg Legacy|Stylus RMX|VSL Strings|EW|ReFx Nexus 2|Autotune 7|Waves 9|Vocalign 3|Melodyne|Soundtoys|Softube|Brainworx|SPL
i7 3,40ghz|Asus P8P67|16GB GSkill 12800|GTS450 1gb|Win7 64|Cubase 6.5.4|UAD-1|UA-25|
Sonik

Postby jaslan » Thu May 05, 2011 5:24 pm

This is a good topic to read. I never realized the possible consequences that using my templates could have on the project they are created from.
It seems like a template should break all ties to the original project.
I suppose the template has to point to the audio in the original project UNLESS Cubase used a separate "template audio" folder.
The more I think about the concept of a template, I think the DEFAULT should be to have no content (just based on the definition and the traditional use of templates (i.e. Word documents, etc.) BUT I also see the advantage of having "content" already in the project after creation from the template.
J.L.
EDIT: I assumed when I created a new project from a template that Cubase would make a new copy of everything in the project in the new project folder thus "disconnecting" the new project from the old one. If this is not the case, perhaps it should be.
Last edited by jaslan on Thu May 05, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby HughH » Thu May 05, 2011 5:30 pm

As long as you don't save the project after deleting content to make a template - you're fine.
Close and reopen first.
No connection at all. I do it a bunch.
Possible Cubase will say there is a newer version of the project - if so ignore it.

Hugh
Cubase 7.5.2 64bit
VEP5
HughH

Postby HughH » Thu May 05, 2011 5:34 pm

No, jaslan. If you leave wav files - content in the template - then, yes, it will use the same files.

However, you can immediately "backup" to a new folder and all will be new.

In many cases you wouldn't want Cubase to create new copies of stuff. Loops, etc, until needed.
Cubase 7.5.2 64bit
VEP5
HughH

Postby njsmooth » Thu May 05, 2011 5:41 pm

I think what Chris is saying is in regards to your individual track settings. You can save level, eq, comp, etc. as a track preset and then use the presets as needed. You can probably then create a template with those track presets and you should be all good.
Cubase 6.02 | Mac Pro Quad 2.66 | OSX 10.6.5 | Gear List on my site
njsmooth

Postby gamelany » Thu May 05, 2011 5:45 pm

jaslan wrote:... I think the DEFAULT should be to have no content (just based on the definition and the traditional use of templates (i.e. Word documents, etc.) ...

Yes, I would agree completely. Templates should never hold data.
SW: Win7(32) , Cubase latest, GA3, HS2
HW: IntelQuad/Asus , Delta2496
gamelany

Postby ceanganb » Thu May 05, 2011 5:51 pm

That would be good feature, very useful, time saving and safer as well, not risking to loose important data that might have been saved with a template and deleted later.
A. Cabreira
Cubase 7.0.3 / Windows 7 X64 / M-Audio Fast Track C400
Intel Core i7 2700K / 8 GB RAM DDR3 1333 Mhz / Asus P8H67-M EVO
ceanganb

Postby paulito » Thu May 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Good topic!

last week i was at a studio that uses Logic.
In Logic, when you have a project open, you always have access to any other project.
You have a list where you can choose what you want to import to your current project:
Tracks with or without media, with or without plugs ...and so on.
I find this much better and easier to handle than using the track presets or templates in cubase.
Maybe that is something Steinberg should examine.
(This is NOT a Cubase vs. Logic post!)

Regards,
Paul
Cubase 7 - Macbook Pro i5, 8GB Ram -MacOS 10.8.2 - Yamaha n12 - CC121 - Lot's of Plugins -
paulito

Postby mart » Wed May 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Chris Beuermann wrote:

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris... I think you misunderstood the problem.

I believe Save as Template should have the option to not include media

I also believe Export Selected Tracks should have to option not to include media so that you can save tracks and settings for work on another project

Saving Track Presets only saves the settings (plugins etc) of a track but wont get you 16 new tracks set up the way you want them.
mart

Postby VariMu » Wed May 11, 2011 10:12 pm

You could, theoretically, open an empty project and Add Track From Preset from a multi-track preset. I think that's what Chris meant.

However....

I recently tried to do something very similar (save an "all tracks" preset from one project, then load the preset to all tracks of another project with identical track configuration), and had a few problems.

1.) Folders did not load properly. Perhaps folder structure is not one of the attributes stored in a track preset, but if so, track presets should not be considered a comprehensive solution for template loading.

2.) Sends to insert sidechain inputs did not load--a big issue when one's default project has all kinds of triggering/ducking going on.

(This was using 6.02.)

For what it's worth, I think that those seeing no need for audio/pool data in templates should consider those who work with samples and might want to load a familiar audio library with each new project. I do not personally do this, but I can at least see how that could be useful to some.

However, I do think that a.) track templates (even hugely multi-track ones) are not complete enough to be considered a template replacement, and b.) having to save a dummy project, remove events, empty the pool (while hoping you don't press the wrong button and delete days of work), THEN save the template.... is a quite tedious, and involves a step that brings the user within a single mouseclick of a very serious, non-undo-able, non-recycle-bin-recoverable delete operation. It's what I currently do, but I don't like it, and I think that a 'Save Template with No Audio' function would be incredibly helpful.
Core i7-3740QM | Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Cubase 7.5 | Wavelab 6 | Plugins by Waves, Slate, URS, Celemony, Antares, SoundToys, Voxengo, iZotope, etc.
VariMu

Postby A100DRUMZ » Wed May 11, 2011 11:54 pm

gamelany wrote:
jaslan wrote:... I think the DEFAULT should be to have no content (just based on the definition and the traditional use of templates (i.e. Word documents, etc.) ...

Yes, I would agree completely. Templates should never hold data.

yea i feel that the audio option should be just that .. an option!
A100DRUMZ

Postby ffg » Thu May 12, 2011 2:15 pm

There are 2 ideas here which would both be useful

1 Save as Template - with option to include or not include media

2 New Templates open with COPIES of the media from the original project (much like Archive Pool) - that way you have access to your media, but no risk of deleting the originals.

I've been saving projects as Templates for ever, and I still get it wrong sometimes in the heat of the session and delete the files from the original project. Infuriating.
best

David

I'm going to to let the situation mature...

Nuendo 5.5
Cubase 7.5
MacPro 3.3 6-core OSX.9.x
MacPro 2.8 8-core OSX.8.x
Macbook Pro
RME Fireface 800
ffg

Postby droutloaf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:01 am

I posted about this quite a few months ago. It would be amazing if they had an "import session data" like pro tools does. And then just select what you want from tracks and busses..
Cubase 6.5, Cubase 7, Pro Tools 9, RME Fireface 800, Fireface UCX, A-Designs MP2A, Lavry AD10, Audient ASP008, Peavey 6505+, Mesa Boogie Mark V, Boogie Cabinet, Bogner Cabinet
droutloaf

Postby Split » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:21 am

Totally agree, I've been caught out with this too. A better solution would be well received.
??????Split
slightly uncertain principles

i7 2600k 16 gig C6.5.3 W7 64
2x24" + 1x19" monitors

and more stuff than a stuffy thing in stuffy land
Split
Grand Senior Member

Postby mart » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Hoping this gets noticed as a major usability improvement for Cubase. Protools has this kicked for many years now.
mart

Postby Kev Vin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Save As Template Without Media gets my vote!
Kev Vin

Postby droutloaf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 am

This has to be such an easy feature to impliment.. it's basically there.
Cubase 6.5, Cubase 7, Pro Tools 9, RME Fireface 800, Fireface UCX, A-Designs MP2A, Lavry AD10, Audient ASP008, Peavey 6505+, Mesa Boogie Mark V, Boogie Cabinet, Bogner Cabinet
droutloaf

Postby Kev Vin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Agreed. What I'd love to see even further is import template into existing projects. Initially I requested a save as folder track preset but this could work just the same.
Basically a way to easily bring in multiple tracks with everthing intact ie. Inserts, sends, routings, names, instruments, colours etc.
Kev Vin

Postby HowlingUlf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:14 pm

HughH wrote:No, jaslan. If you leave wav files - content in the template - then, yes, it will use the same files.

However, you can immediately "backup" to a new folder and all will be new.

In many cases you wouldn't want Cubase to create new copies of stuff. Loops, etc, until needed.

This should work!
Save the first song.
"Backup to new folder" after the first song.
Now all ties with the first songs is cut off.
Delete all the parts and the stuff in the pool.
Finally you can safely save as template.
This leaves you with one empty template, the saved first song and ready to rec the second song from the template. 8-)

But a Key Command would be faster! :?
Gothenburg, Sweden
Cubase 7.5 32 | Intel i7 860 | 8GB | Win7 64 | Emu 1820M | BCR2000 | MPD16 via MIDI
and a few cables ... and some more stuff ... and even more than that, would you believe it ?!!?
HowlingUlf

Postby Ganax » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:42 pm

+1
Intel I7 quad core- Win 7 64bit
Cubase 6-Wavelab elements 7
RME Multiface & Aphex convertor
UAD-1 & UAD-2 solo

Novation Nocturn Midi controller
Ganax

Next

Return to Steinberg Lounge