AnyOne Using A Trackball?

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.

Re: AnyOne Using A Trackball?

Postby Strophoid » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:24 pm

Ah cool, I didn't know it could do button combinations too, that's clever.
I'm happy with my trackball too, I think that for a DAW it's a great input device.

I'm also firmly of the belief that mice have their place, as a (former) competitive gamer I would NEVER use a trackball to play my shooters. (Just like using a controller btw, you simply don't get the speed and control you can have with a good mouse.)
So it all depends on what you use it for, but as I said, for a DAW a trackball is great.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby jamusic » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:19 am

Good!

Can't wait to start leaning mine when it arrives!
-C7.5.20 -Win 7-x64 Home -Intel i7-2600k -ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro -Antec High Current 520w -16 Gigs RAM
-Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler -3 SSDs -WD 1TB Black Caviar Hard Drive -2 WD & 1 Touro 1TB External USB 3 Drives
-TC Electronic SK 48 Audio Interface -Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Mixer -Roland UM-550 MIDI Interface
-Neumann TLM 103 Mic -DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip Pre Amp/Comp -ART DPS II Tube Pre -Amp
-Yamaha P-200/88 & Nektar Panorama P6/61 Keyboards -V-Drums/Roland TD-6
-4003 Rickenbacker Fireglow Bass -5 Guitars -4 Sound Modules

jamusic

Postby jono not bono » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:57 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:Not at all, John. Holding down the left button with my thumb and rolling the ball with index and middle fingers.

When I lay my hand on it without aiming, my thumb rests on the left button, ring finger on the right button, index and middle fingers rest on the ball naturally.

The ball has enough weight so I can sort of throw the cursor across the screen, then grab control when it arrives at the target. It was easy to get precise with it.

It felt very natural from the first time I used one, like in 1998.

I'm talking about this one:

I have just ordered one and looking forward to getting to grips with it!
jono not bono

Postby Patanjali » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:24 am

I used to have a small trackball on a laptop many years ago, and at least once a day I had to take it out to clean off the lint.

Now its small size might have made it more prone to such issues, but are there issues with the large ones?

I can appreciate that a larger ball has the momentum to propel the cursor hands-off.

Upside down mouse
One thing that modern mice have these days is that they are optical with no moving parts, so no dust jamming issues (at least if your desk is not a dust bed!).

Just as an experiment, I turned my optical mouse bottom up, and used my finger to swipe over the optical sensor. Besides forward-back working the opposite to the way left-right did, and the instability of resting on its curve, operation was reasonably accurate. Makes me think that they could just as easily get rid of the ball out of trackballs and go optical as well, so that you could have a mouse-shaped (as opposed to large and flat pad) control that you didn't have to move.
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. Music available from CD Baby (MP3/FLAC) and the usual culprits. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx4+2 : UAD-2Q : Dell S2340Tx2 & Samsung 55" 4K.
HW: Nmn U87 Ai : JA251x2 : YRG : Korg padKontrol+uKEY2 : RME FF400+800 : M-Patch-2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win 8.1 Pro 64 : Cubase 7.5.20 64 : iC Pro : RX3Adv : Ozone5Adv : Goliath/SO PP/Pianos/Gypsy : Sup.Drum 2.0 : AT7.
Patanjali

Postby jono not bono » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:41 pm

I can happily say that I am glad I bought the Kensington Expert Mouse. I received it yesterday and although I am still getting used to it, it feels great. I can see how it speeds up workflow, for example, The scroll wheel really helps for scrolling vertically within the project window and combined with either the CMC-AI Jogwheel for horizontal navigation (and/or shortcut keys G and H), navigating through a Project with a massive track count is amazingly fast!

So glad I've moved from a normal Mouse.
jono not bono

Postby Strophoid » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Patanjali wrote:I used to have a small trackball on a laptop many years ago, and at least once a day I had to take it out to clean off the lint.

Now its small size might have made it more prone to such issues, but are there issues with the large ones?

I can appreciate that a larger ball has the momentum to propel the cursor hands-off.

Upside down mouse
One thing that modern mice have these days is that they are optical with no moving parts, so no dust jamming issues (at least if your desk is not a dust bed!).

Just as an experiment, I turned my optical mouse bottom up, and used my finger to swipe over the optical sensor. Besides forward-back working the opposite to the way left-right did, and the instability of resting on its curve, operation was reasonably accurate. Makes me think that they could just as easily get rid of the ball out of trackballs and go optical as well, so that you could have a mouse-shaped (as opposed to large and flat pad) control that you didn't have to move.

Yes they collect dirt over time, but it takes 10 seconds to clean. On my Kensington Orbit Scroll you can lift the ball out instantly, just swipe your finger over the lights (the sensor is always clean, it's the red leds that get dirty as they touch the ball) and you're good to go again.
I see what you mean about using an optical surface instead of a trackball, but the momentum of a physical ball is really nice, you just give it a whirl and it'll speed across the screen. To achieve the same thing with an optical surface you'd need some acceleration algorithm in software (like windows mouse acceleration, or what they use on trackpads), but I personally prefer a 1-to-1 mapping of my mouse and screen.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Previous

Return to Computer / Studio Hardware & Setup