MIDI control mapping in Cubase Artist 7.5

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.

MIDI control mapping in Cubase Artist 7.5

Postby timjg » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:56 am

Hi Everyone,

I did a search on this and am surprised that I'm not finding any posts on it, not even for those using totally current MIDI devices. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology?

I'm trying to map the controllers of my MIDI keyboard to the VST instruments in Cubase Artist 7.5. I'm on a brand new iMac running 10.9.2.

First up, I see no instructions at all on this in the user manual. Why is this not covered in the manual? Is there something I'm not seeing?

Secondly, here's the issue. I'm using a brand new M-Audio Keystation 61es. I'd like to map the MIDI control slider to various controls on the VST instrument so I can alter the sound while I'm playing, but can not figure out how to do it. The instructions with the keyboard require you to assign numbers from the VST controls to the slider of the keyboard. But nowadays there are no apparent numbers associated with the knobs on the VST instruments. If I try to do it using the Device Setup box and choose "VST Quick Controls" (Generic Remote won't recognize the keyboard!), Cubase recognizes the slider on my keyboard when I check "learn", but when I assign a parameter of the VST instrument to quick controls in the Inspector to match this slider, it just adds that new control on top of the already existing default control (volume or portamento usually, depending on the instrument). So then my slider is working two or three different parameters at the same time! To top it off, after working fine for several minutes, Cubase suddenly decided to stop listening to the pitch wheel on the keyboard. I know the pitch wheel works fine via using other software and synths and from checking it with the app, MIDI Monitor. So Cubase is ignoring it. Thanks for any help anyone can give. There's almost no information on the web about this that I can find, and I do not find that the user manual accurately reflects the functions and options I see on my actual software. Getting frustrated.

Cheers
timjg

Return to Computer / Studio Hardware & Setup