Recording Skype calls, what am I missing

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.

Recording Skype calls, what am I missing

Postby n1kki6 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:07 am

All,

I just picked up a UR44 to replace an old alesis usb mixer that died on me. I used to be able to record skype calls on the old mixer without problem by sending the stereo mix to usb, it wasn't optimal because both myself and my buddy were on the same track. I could get us on separate tracks by panning left and right.

So when I started looking for a new interface the usb mixers were all normal usb with stero output like my last one and I really wanted the ability the usb 2.0 multi tracking moving forward just in case. The UR44 looked to have more and better features and the presonus and focusrite at the same price. Overall I am super happy with it, but for the life of me I can not get my DAW to recognize skype calls unless I output from a lineout into a line in.

I am using adobe audition, I can select any of the 6 inputs without problem and they record and sounds fantastic, what is weird, is that I can't get adobe audition to record the skype call, the skype call is coming out of my speakers and headphones. Also, for the inputs I only have lines 1-6, i do not have an option for stereo so this is probably why. I can get the call recorded if I patch one of the headphone outs into a line in, or patch one of the lineouts to a line in. The linouts however seem to be balanced right a bit and lose a bit of bass. Within the dspmixer it also doesn't appear I can assign my outputs their, so it is all in the DAW, input 1, go to output 3.

I am obviously missing something but don't know what or where to start. Do I have to use cubase, are their plugins I need to load into audition?

My audio devices are disabled except for the UR44 as my default recording an playback device, in dspmixeffects I can also see the skype call meter.

Ultimately I would like my voice and the skype call on separate tracks.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
(110.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
n1kki6

Re: Recording Skype calls, what am I missing

Postby BriHar » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:17 am

I think this is an example of where the loopback function might be of use.
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.30 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby n1kki6 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks, I will try using that.
n1kki6

Postby n1kki6 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Loopback worked great for getting my pc audio back to the DAW. Now to figure out how to separate tracks. When using loop back the PC audio is limited to inputs 1 and 2 in the daw. The problem now is that all interface inputs loopback.
n1kki6

Postby n1kki6 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:24 pm

I kind of have a work around. If I record mono and pan the mic input all the way left it won't pick up on the loopback allowing me to record split channels between the skype call and the input. Not sure if this is the optimal solution though, any other input would me great.
n1kki6

Return to Computer / Studio Hardware & Setup