My first Pop production after a long break

Let's hear what you have made using our products!

My first Pop production after a long break

Postby fucoso » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Hey there,

i just wrote something for a competition.
Started collecting ideas in Cubasis and finished it in Cubase Artist 7.
It´s with german lyrics, that are not written by me
(the task was to compose the music to the given lyrics).
I´m not really statisfied with the Sound at all; but I had to do the singing (with a Little cold) and the mixing / mastering in just an evening to meet the competition deadline. Feedback welcome!
Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSY1DbTHWMA

cheers
fucoso

Re: My first Pop production after a long break

Postby shadowfax » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:54 am

Hi, production is ok though the snare becomes a little insipid during the chorus..could maybe be eq'd differently around there..didn't understand a word of course but lyrics are not the first thing i listen to..vox was a little dry for me but good work all the same.....Kevin
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... https://knmac.bandcamp.com/... Cubase 7 64 bit on W7 intel i7-2700 CPU@3.50GHz, 2xSSD's..16GB ram, Yamaha N8, Genelec 8030BPM/Genelec7050BPM monitors...SPL track one, Shure KSM32 and a homemade soundbooth.
shadowfax

Postby fucoso » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:31 am

Hi Kevin,

thanks for your reply and your valuation!
I´ll keep your hints in mind for the next try.
Cheers
Ingo
fucoso

Postby Jonathan5456 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:07 am

Immediately the strings at the intro just don't have the dynamic expression with peaking, dipping, swelling and constant subtle changes that a real human would do. Yeah, they're samples but if you just start from say 20-30 dynamic and swell them up to like 60-70 (or at that kind of interval, maybe slightly less of a gap) over like 2 bars and then back down it really makes a lot of difference toward the listener thinking they are real. The note choices fit well enough.

Kinda hard to comment on how well the tone of the music fits the lyrics given that the little German I remember from school is stuff like "wo wohnst du? mit dem flugzeug." I only really know basic phrases to get around if I were ever lost there lol.

I thought the music was fine overall, fairly upbeat with some nice moving bass parts. But at like 2:39 there seems to be an uncomfortable harmony clash that, to my ears at least, just isn't pleasant: perhaps it fits the lyrical message/tone?

Production sounded good enough to me. Nothing that really caught my attention enough to comment on, aside from the strings.

Good luck with the competition, hope it goes well.
Sample Libraries: EWQL Hollywood Strings Diamond, Hollywood Brass Gold, Hollywood Woodwinds Gold, Symphonic Choirs, Silk, Stormdrum 2. Native Instruments Alicia's Keys Piano. All sample libraries at 1 mic position only.

Plugins: QL Spaces, Waves REDD, Waves API-2500, Waves J37/Kramer Tape, iZotope Ozone 5 Basic.
Jonathan5456

Return to Made with Steinberg