Zero Four

Let's hear what you have made using our products!

Zero Four

Postby TheNavigator » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:54 am

Wrote this many, many years ago and recorded / programmed / mixed and mastered it a few months ago:

https://soundcloud.com/the_navigator/th ... -four-demo

It's called "zero four" because in my "Voyetra projects\ideas" - folder it was "04" (had a serious hangover when I did it for the first time back then).

However, this is the 2013 version, enjoy!
Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 7, Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, lots of other nice stuff

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

My homestudio
TheNavigator

Re: Zero Four

Postby Jonathan5456 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:22 am

Lol @ that naming convention.

Anyway, I thought the opening piano motif was cool, but honestly I was expecting it to turn into a fast paced electronic piece, which I think I'd have preferred given the synths used at the start. The slow tempo after that synth intro was just such a drag and I usually like slow things. Idk why I assumed it was going to turn into some kindof faster DnB kinda hybrid. Maybe it reminded me of something from Ridge Racer 4 videogame for playstation, or Unreal Tournament.

I thought the tambourine hits were too loud. I used to learn Yngwie, Vai, Satriani songs all the time when I used to play guitar so I get the instrumental guitar style. But I think the odd fast scale/arpeggio really goes a long way to holding the listeners interest (in this kind of instrumental since it's not based around a specific strong theme.) Granted, it takes a lot of practice to be able to do that to such a precise standard and personally it makes me wish I hadn't invested several hours a day, everyday, for years just to be able to do so lol.

I like the overall atmosphere of the track and it was certainly easier to listen along to once the pacing was upped. I did enjoy it when the pace picked up. The piano at 2:14 could really do with some faster notes now and then for interest, similar to the end part actually or at least in unison with something else. I think the sound of the synths work well with the other instruments. Some cool ideas anyway, gg.
Jonathan5456

Postby shadowfax » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Strange change a 1.26? not sure about it..otherwise excellent, good tune and nice mood at the beginning which was my favourite part of the instrumental...tamb and crashes a tad too loud but tune and mood come first in my book...Kevin
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... https://knmac.bandcamp.com/... Cubase 7 64 bit on W7 intel i7-2700 CPU@3.50GHz, SSD..16GB ram, Yamaha N8, Shure KSM 32 mic,SPL Track one preamp, Nexus, Trilian, Omnisphere, EZ drummer, LASS,8Dio strings, Realitone "the Ladies", Jamstix, Ozone 5 pro, Lexicon PCM, Genelec 8030BPM monitors and Genelec 7050 BPM sub bass,
+ home made soundbooth and too much other stuff+ dog that farts in stereo...
shadowfax

Postby TheNavigator » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Thank you, guys! :-)

Next version will have softer tambourine and crash, hehe.
Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 7, Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, lots of other nice stuff

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

My homestudio
TheNavigator

Postby ethansight » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:26 am

I really liked this! I normally don't find myself listening to the more "rock"y side of the genres but this was a very enjoyable piece; especially how the guitar and piano interacted within the chords. Obviously soundcloud it not the best judge of mix quality but I do agree with Kevin in that the symbols might have been a bit loud... other than that I coudn't hear any outstanding problems. Great job!
Cubase Artist 7 - Lenovo ThinkPad: 12gigs i5
Passion for Trance/Electronic - and really anything over 140 bpm
ethansight

Return to Made with Steinberg