Zero Four

Let's hear what you have made using our products!

Zero Four

Postby TheNavigator » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:54 am

Wrote this many, many years ago and recorded / programmed / mixed and mastered it a few months ago:

https://soundcloud.com/the_navigator/th ... -four-demo

It's called "zero four" because in my "Voyetra projects\ideas" - folder it was "04" (had a serious hangover when I did it for the first time back then).

However, this is the 2013 version, enjoy!
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

PC watercooling and overclocking afficionado.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

"Storms can't kill the faith in rainbows"
TheNavigator

Re: Zero Four

Postby Jonathan5456 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:22 am

Lol @ that naming convention.

Anyway, I thought the opening piano motif was cool, but honestly I was expecting it to turn into a fast paced electronic piece, which I think I'd have preferred given the synths used at the start. The slow tempo after that synth intro was just such a drag and I usually like slow things. Idk why I assumed it was going to turn into some kindof faster DnB kinda hybrid. Maybe it reminded me of something from Ridge Racer 4 videogame for playstation, or Unreal Tournament.

I thought the tambourine hits were too loud. I used to learn Yngwie, Vai, Satriani songs all the time when I used to play guitar so I get the instrumental guitar style. But I think the odd fast scale/arpeggio really goes a long way to holding the listeners interest (in this kind of instrumental since it's not based around a specific strong theme.) Granted, it takes a lot of practice to be able to do that to such a precise standard and personally it makes me wish I hadn't invested several hours a day, everyday, for years just to be able to do so lol.

I like the overall atmosphere of the track and it was certainly easier to listen along to once the pacing was upped. I did enjoy it when the pace picked up. The piano at 2:14 could really do with some faster notes now and then for interest, similar to the end part actually or at least in unison with something else. I think the sound of the synths work well with the other instruments. Some cool ideas anyway, gg.
Jonathan5456

Postby shadowfax » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Strange change a 1.26? not sure about it..otherwise excellent, good tune and nice mood at the beginning which was my favourite part of the instrumental...tamb and crashes a tad too loud but tune and mood come first in my book...Kevin
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... https://knmac.bandcamp.com/... Cubase 7 64 bit on W7 intel i7-2700 CPU@3.50GHz, 2xSSD's..16GB ram, Yamaha N8, Genelec 8030BPM/Genelec7050BPM monitors...SPL track one, Shure KSM32 and a homemade soundbooth.
shadowfax

Postby TheNavigator » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Thank you, guys! :-)

Next version will have softer tambourine and crash, hehe.
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

PC watercooling and overclocking afficionado.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

"Storms can't kill the faith in rainbows"
TheNavigator

Postby ethansight » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:26 am

I really liked this! I normally don't find myself listening to the more "rock"y side of the genres but this was a very enjoyable piece; especially how the guitar and piano interacted within the chords. Obviously soundcloud it not the best judge of mix quality but I do agree with Kevin in that the symbols might have been a bit loud... other than that I coudn't hear any outstanding problems. Great job!
Cubase Artist 7 - Lenovo ThinkPad: 12gigs i5
Passion for Trance/Electronic - and really anything over 140 bpm
ethansight

Return to Made with Steinberg