Cubase iC Air - Give us your feedback and ideas

All topics on Cubase iC Air

Re: Cubase iC Air - Give us your feedback and ideas

Postby Keezix » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 pm

thedarris wrote: One feature that I think a lot of Cubase composers would love is the ability to automate tempo on the fly. Basically a way to conduct our pieces real time during playback. This would allow us to create a more realistic tempo phrasing for our pieces. Anyway, I would love to see this feature in a future update.

Chris

Today I tried to do this very thing by using the "Learn" function in the Cubase iC Air "Settings" window, and then selecting the "Tempo Rec." slider in the Tempo editing window. (This requires variable tempo to be activated of course). I then tried changing tempo with slight upwards/downwards gestures. The only result I could get was the tempo making very large and quick jumps between 240 BPM and 1 BPM. Changing the "AI sensitivity" control in the "Settings" window made no difference. I also tried making the setting of "ramp" (rather than "jump") in the tempo editing window. That also made no difference, so at this point it is not quite useable for this worthy purpose. I'm not certain if I'm missing something, or if this is something which can be made to work properly in a future update, but I too would very much like to get tempo control going using the Cubase iC Air.

If anyone out there can find a way to get better results, please let us know!
Cubase 7.5.30 (32 bit)
Apple Mac Pro Intel Xeon Quad-core w/4 gig RAM
running OSX 10.9.5
MOTU 2408 Mk3/ PCIe-424
MOTU midi express XT
Apple iMac - Intel Core i3 w/4 gig RAM,
also running OSX 10.9.5
Alesis io|14
A couple dozen MIDI devices, including 64 channel digital mixing console
Keezix

Postby thedarris » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:32 am

Keezix wrote:Thedarris:

Having given this some further thought, I realize that you are actually on to something! Inside the Cubase tempo editing window is a virtual fader for controlling tempo. Using a mouse to control it sucks, so I never do that. However, if this tempo control fader could be assigned to the IC Air, it could be controlled in the same manner as can already be done with volume faders. So it should be certainly be possible to do intuitive in-the-air conducting, albeit with a much lower energy requirement (no need to wave the arms around). That would indeed be cool!!

Unfortunately.....:/

That fader, when used during playback, is a "look ahead" automation because it is impossible for Cubase to adjust tempo on the fly in real time. Thus, it is very difficult to anticipate your tempo changes since you can't create a pulse with your hand for tempo, you are just raising or lowering the tempo so the music can react a few milliseconds later. Hans Zimmer (in VI-Control) mentioned he had a guy create a mod to control this and realized very quickly it was just worthless. It is a cool feature but after spending a few hours working with it to see if I could figure out a good way to run it, it is just worthless to me as a feature currently. It is a cool feature nevertheless but I would love to see someone who actually uses it in an intuitive way and yield amazing results. Oh well, it is a good idea but needs serious scripting and modding to be useful.

Side note, I am about to test (tomorrow) clapping my retardandos and accelerandos into audio and using beat detection to get a tempo map that has a natural feel versus automating it. I figured I would mute everything and have cubase only give me a 4 count intro and start my claps right on the measure I want to slow down or speed up. The rest is obvious. I will post back my findings.
thedarris

Postby Keezix » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:13 pm

thedarris wrote:
That fader, when used during playback, is a "look ahead" automation because it is impossible for Cubase to adjust tempo on the fly in real time. Thus, it is very difficult to anticipate your tempo changes since you can't create a pulse with your hand for tempo, you are just raising or lowering the tempo so the music can react a few milliseconds later.

I can't say I understand why it can't work. Nor do I understand the need to create a pulse if the music you are responding to already has that. It seems to me that it should be straightforward, just manipulating data like everything else in Cubase (or anything else). Raising the hand to speed up, and lowering the hand to slow down sounds good to me, if it could be made to work, that is.

Your experiment with claps sounds and beat detector sounds interesting. My working methods are actually the exact opposite. I tend to initially record myself or other musicians in free tempo, without a click, such that I have the natural tempos right away. At that point I do a tap tempo track; then use the "Merge tempo with tapping" feature in the MIDI menu to create a tempo map (this requires first putting tracks in "time" rather than "musical" mode), whereupon I can then do tight overdubbing with a new click track that follows the natural tempo, including quantizing if needed. This method has worked great for me for many years, and I don't have to be slave to a rigid click. :)
Cubase 7.5.30 (32 bit)
Apple Mac Pro Intel Xeon Quad-core w/4 gig RAM
running OSX 10.9.5
MOTU 2408 Mk3/ PCIe-424
MOTU midi express XT
Apple iMac - Intel Core i3 w/4 gig RAM,
also running OSX 10.9.5
Alesis io|14
A couple dozen MIDI devices, including 64 channel digital mixing console
Keezix

Postby thedarris » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:19 pm

Since I do midi mock-ups/orchestration, I write solely to a straight click as I tend to hate my 'freely' played performances. After I've written out my cues, I go in and adjust the tempo mapping to add in the tempo swells when needed to add life. The problem is, they sound automated versus natural. That is why I thought of doing the claps. I can get the starting tempo and just natural clap the tempo flux I want and then merge it into the tempo track. Seems like a good idea, I haven't had a chance to test it out though.
thedarris

Postby KingRoy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi there,

Finally got the chance to use ic Air , really cool and finally proper use of my leap motion controller.
Unfortunally I didn't see a record on/off gesture ... this would definitely improve the usage ...

I can put a record command to the IC Air but online in AI mode, wich deactivates all other gestures that's really a shame ....

So maybe the chance in a future update , would even pay for it :lol:

Byebye

Roy.
KingRoy

Previous

Return to Cubase iC Air