IcAir with Leap Motion

All topics on Cubase iC Air

IcAir with Leap Motion

Postby atlatnesiti » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:56 am

Hey guys, has anyone tried icAir, Cubase 7 with Leap Motion controller?
Is it useful, does it work ok? Thinking about getting Leap Motion and any opinions and feedback will be greatly appreciated...
iMac i7 2.8GHz 16GB RAM, OS X.10.10, iOS 8, iPad 4 64GB LTE, iPad Air 128GB LTE, iApogee Quartet, M-Audio Axiom PRO 49, Cubase 7.5, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live Suite 9, Reason 7, Tracktion 5, WaveLab Elements 8, various iOS Apps, VSTi's, AU's and hardware synths...
atlatnesiti

Re: IcAir with Leap Motion

Postby Pixie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:47 am

I have it, but haven't tested it thouroughly yet.
Will try to do so in the weekend and get back to you...
|MSI X58 Pro Intel i7 4096 Mb Ram|RME Fireface 800+Steinberg MR816x+ART TubeOpto 8|Cubase 7.5.20 |Windows 8.1 32-bit|Korg Microkontrol|Steinberg Houston|
Pixie

Postby jconstantine » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:41 am

What kind of camera do I need for try the Air Intel?
Which is better the camera or the leap thing?

Regards
Windows 7 64,i5 3 Ghz,16 RAM, M-Audio Delta 1010LT / Yamaha 2496 x 2,Macbook Air i5 2014,Cubase 7.5, Wavelab 8, Halion 5, Pro Tools 11, UAD 2, SSL Native, Waves,Liquid Mix 16,Prophet 12 ,Tempest,Elektron MKI,Nord g2,Virus TI,Waldorf XT,Moog Slim Phatty,Sub Phatty,Supernova,Drumstation,MC909,MC505,MC307,Nord 3,Nord 2,Juno 106,Matrix 1000,Jomox MBase 11,Mbrane,Korg z1,Electribes,AN1x,DX200,X0XBoX,Micro Q,Pulse,Virus Classic,SH32,Korg MS20,CS6x,Akai S2000,S3000,Micro X,Korg R3,JV2080,Procussion,JP8080,MS2000,ART Pro VLA II.
jconstantine

Postby sming » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:53 am

jconstantine wrote:What kind of camera do I need for try the Air Intel?
Which is better the camera or the leap thing?

Regards

Hi there,

For the Intel variant, it is said that there will be more to come. At the moment though, Creative Senz3D is the only depth camera in the market that supports Intel Perc. Comp. SDK 2013.
More details @ http://us.creative.com/p/web-cameras/creative-senz3d

From the CIA point of view, both are equally well with subtle differences. For more details, please refer to the recommendation mentioned in the separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=222&t=50435#p307633

Thanks for your interest!
cheers,
SMing

Software Research Developer
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
sming
Steinberg Employee

Postby G-string » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:29 pm

yes it's a useful tool if you don't want to keep flapping around for your play and stop buttons , I found it to be pretty responsive with the commands and the play and stop commands are so simple , the zoom takes a little getting used to but again it is pretty responsive .
Considering this is version 1 it's not bad ;-)
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Postby Pixie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:49 am

I dabbled around with it yesterday for a while.

My first impression: At this moment it's too sluggish to considered a tool. At this moment I consider it more to be a gadget.

Play, stop, forward, rewind and work well, but react too slow to be able to be precise.
Zoom is also working, but it is quite difficult to right. I suspect it will improve with a bit of practice.
I have not been able to get the swiping to switch tracks working yet, so I hope that the tutorial which are coming will make these gestures more clear.
I had some problem getting the shuttle control to work, but I managed to get it working a couple of times. This made me realise it is more about me learning to hold my hands in the right positions (especially the right height) and practising the gesture than it is about poor functionality.

I can see myself using this quite a lot in the near future is the responsiveness can be improved.

As for functionality: at this moment it looks as if I can't go from forward or rewind straight into play. I always have to use the stop gesture before I can resume playback.

It would also be quite handy if rewinding and forwarding would only take place as long as the gestures are made. Right now, if you start rewinding or forwarding, the cursor continues to move after you have stopped the gesture.
So in order to stop rewinding, you have to make the stop gesture. It would be much nicer if playback would just resume as soon as you stop making the rewind or forward gesture (only if you started these gestures during playback of course. I you started these gesture during standstill, playback should not resume).
|MSI X58 Pro Intel i7 4096 Mb Ram|RME Fireface 800+Steinberg MR816x+ART TubeOpto 8|Cubase 7.5.20 |Windows 8.1 32-bit|Korg Microkontrol|Steinberg Houston|
Pixie

Postby G-string » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:11 am

uummmm I can't see where your sluggishness is coming from because as soon as you make the correct gesture it works straight away .
I agree about having to stop every time you forward wind and rewind but the track selection is easy enough ,just one simple swipe across the device either direction moves up and down .
As soon as the gestures are recognized it does exactly what it says on the tin . The hardest part is learning the gestures and getting them exact .
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Postby Pixie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:00 pm

G-string wrote:As soon as the gestures are recognized it does exactly what it says on the tin . The hardest part is learning the gestures and getting them exact .

Well, that's exactly were the sluggishness comes from. It seems to take a while for the gestures to be recognised.

But then again, I have to add: I noticed yesterday that the leap controller was having problems with the overhead lights and therefore had to compensate.
This might be influencing the speed.

And as you said: the hardest part is indeed getting the gestures right.
Pixie

Postby Armand Rochette » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 am

Hi Pixie,

Thank you for your feedback,

It can actually take a while yes before mastering the different gestures. Hopefully our forthcoming video tutorials will speed up the overall learning curve for everyone.
Did you also test the Ai Knob feature by any chance? What's your thoughts about it?

Cheers,
Software Engineer
Hamburg, Germany
Armand Rochette

Postby sming » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 am

Pixie wrote:But then again, I have to add: I noticed yesterday that the leap controller was having problems with the overhead lights and therefore had to compensate.
This might be influencing the speed.

Bingo. Leap is sensitive to the lighting condition. For instance, when the room lighting is TOO bright, or when the FOV is interfered by some sunlight through the window, this may to some degree degrade the hand detection. Technically, it is related to the interfered infra red field seen by the sensor. And, the similar limitation may apply to the Intel variant too, from our experience.

Pixie wrote:And as you said: the hardest part is indeed getting the gestures right.

Yup, the secret: Practice makes Perfect.
We're looking forward to see another certified "TaiChi" master from your side soon ;-)
Keep up and thanks for your kind feedback and sharing!
cheers,
SMing

Software Research Developer
Hamburg, Germany
sming
Steinberg Employee

Postby Pixie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Armand Rochette wrote:Did you also test the Ai Knob feature by any chance? What's your thoughts about it?

Up to now, I've restricted myself to the main transport gestures, so I haven't given the AI-function a try yet.

As soon as I have time to delve into it, I will definately give some feedback.
Pixie

Return to Cubase iC Air