AI Knob: Single Parameter only?

All topics on Cubase iC Air

AI Knob: Single Parameter only?

Postby islandmusicpro » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi all,
Some thoughts: I consider proper motion control for a DAW a classic killer app for e.g. the Leap Motion controller. So I ordered one after holding back for quite a while, it's not here yet, however.
I commend Steinberg for it's forward thinking, but here's my question: Can I really only have one single gesture (i.e. hand up/down) attached to a single value using the AI knob? And: Is this single gesture indeed mutually exclusive with the preprogrammed gestures available?
If so, this would be a shame.
My vision is this: I use a hardware controller (ZED R16 mixer) for transport functions, but would love to zoom and scroll using gestures to keep my hands off the keyboard while tracking. I'd rather not use gestures for transport, since the risk of a major screw-up with unintended stuff happening is too great at the moment.
I'd also love the iC Air team to stay on top of the Leap Motion thing, since apparently they have version 2.0 coming out with GREATLY improved hand/finger tracking!

Another thought/question: Could I theoretically use a "composite generic remote" to have some messages generated by my ZED, and others by, let's say a Geco plugin + virtual MIDI interface? That would be very, very, cool. But I guess for this SB would have to fix the generic remote first, as in: Save/Load a specific configuration with the project... ;)

Cheers,
Benji
Cubase Pro 8.0.0 x64, Windows 8.1 Update 1 x64
Synthogy Ivory 2, UAD2 Duo PCIe, Superior Drummer 2.3 NY extensions
i7 3770K Gigabyte Z77-UD5H, 32GB Crucial ULP 1.35V RAM
Allen & Heath ZED R16, UA LA610 Mk2, Neumann TLM49, Shure SM7B, Mackie HR624 Mk2
https://www.facebook.com/islandmusicpro
islandmusicpro

Re: AI Knob: Single Parameter only?

Postby sming » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Benji,

Thanks for the notes.

Yes, the AI Knob mode is exclusive when it is activated. In other words, the transport controls & co are temporary unavailable when AI mode is active. This is to ensure a high control reliability when doing automation or controlling the attached parameter. Note that, this could even be used during a live performance (when VST plugin is involved), such as adjusting the reverb, overdrive level, etc on stage while holding an instrument.

Cubase iC Air are designed to react on the dedicated gestures only, so it is unlikely to trigger the DAW accidentally by random movements, unless the user has mistakenly performed certain moves in the FOV that matches a particular gesture. Note that this is analogous to pressing your keyboard accidentally with your elbow, etc.

We do have the vision to support more than this, such as 2 separate AI for 2 hands, etc. This relies heavily on users wishes and feedback though. Presumably, if the demands are high, v2 could be a reality soon ;-)
cheers,
SMing

Software Research Developer
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
sming
Steinberg Employee

Postby islandmusicpro » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi sming!
Thanks for your quick answer!
Yes, I realize that it's designed to track only certain gestures to avoid unintended consequences with transport commands. That's good.
One important remark: As usual, anything I say or suggest is solely meant to improve your fantastic R&D and Cubase product and not to be interpreted as whining or entitlement or anything like that. Just to make sure.

So: Better would be to keep things as intuitive as possible for the users and to try and keep as much of a "traditional" touchscreen interface paradigm as you can, i.e. pinching and swiping and so forth. I have zero understanding on how to do any of this, and I know that the team must have gone through many brainstorming sessions, but that's my input nonetheless.
I'm sure you have seen this:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/leap-motion-upgrade-track-just-fingertips-entire-hand/9742-1_53-50159511.html, but at 3:00 they have a hint at version 2.0 of their interface that should make things easier for you guys. Also, the idea of dedicated gestures to do limited things is great, but it should be much more customizable. I'd LOVE pinch-to-zoom and swipe-to-scroll. Just that.

On another note: Where do I need to go with my generic remote issues/suggestions?

Cheers,
benji
Allen & Heath ZED R16, UA LA610 Mk2, Neumann TLM49, Shure SM7B, Mackie HR624 Mk2
islandmusicpro

Postby islandmusicpro » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Just this: I realized I can set the GR to All MIDI In, and that would likely work as a "Composite Remote", accepting commands from the ZED AND the gesture stuff.
My Leap Motion will be here in a few days, and then I'll try my ideas...

Cheers,
Benji
islandmusicpro

Postby sming » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:23 pm

islandmusicpro wrote:Just this: I realized I can set the GR to All MIDI In, and that would likely work as a "Composite Remote", accepting commands from the ZED AND the gesture stuff.
My Leap Motion will be here in a few days, and then I'll try my ideas...

Cheers,
Benji

Hello Benji,

Thanks for the kind sharing and interesting ideas.
Sure, as the technology gets more mature and powerful, the potentials expand tremendously too. We are certainly looking forward to that too ;-)

As for the Generic Remote related ideas, could you please kindly post your valuable feedback in the Cubase forum? This would make your interesting ideas directly visible to the corresponding team who specialize in this topic. Certainly, I can help reflecting this internally, but customers' direct wish and opinions are often more important than employees. So, please do give Cubase forum a try, thanks! ;-)
cheers,
SMing

Software Research Developer
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
sming
Steinberg Employee

Return to Cubase iC Air