(de)activate AI knob by gesture?

All topics on Cubase iC Air

(de)activate AI knob by gesture?

Postby TabSel » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:33 pm

I have to admit I didn't try ICAir yet, although I have a LeapMotion since months, but watching the tutorial videos, I asked myself: Why do I have to use the mouse to toggle between AI Knob and DAW Control mode?

Isn't there a gesture to switch AI Knob behaviour on/off on the fly?
Win7x64Prof, Cubase 6 x64
TabSel

Re: (de)activate AI knob by gesture?

Postby sming » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:03 am

Hi TabSel,

Thanks for the question and constructive suggestion.

No doubt, it would be more intuitive and flexible to have a dedicated gesture to en/disable the AI mode.
The reason or motivation behind the current setup is that, writing automation or changing parameter level is a serious business in music/audio production as we all know. Thus, by requiring users to (de)activate the AI mode explicitly, the absolute reliability and accuracy is guaranteed when using the corresponding virtual control.

As a result, it rules out the possibility of any accidental mode switch amid a serious mixing process, take for example, if a false detection suddenly occur at the sensing layer. We don't wanna trigger a STOP accidentally when writing our automation smoothly during the process, do we?

As the technology gets more mature and robust over time, things can definitely be improved in this area. Thanks again.
cheers,
SMing

Software Research Developer
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
sming
Steinberg Employee

Return to Cubase iC Air