Control Surface [Poll]

All about Steinberg's Advanced Integration Controller CC121.

Would you be interested in a multi-fader control surface according to the spec below?

Yes.
68%
No, I'm satisfied with the thirdparty non-integrated options.
16%
No, I think Steinbergs current options are enough.
16%

Total votes : 19

Control Surface [Poll]

Postby Svenne » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:03 pm

When I posted this thread:
http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 30&t=45410
I wasn't aware that members could start polls.

However, it would be interesting to know how many would be interested in a serious control surface with the following specifications (to begin with) manufactured by Steinberg/Yamaha:
a) full integration with Cubase/Nuendo
b) 12 motorized faders (8 for switchable channel banks and 4 fully programmable for ques, sends, masterchannel, etc.)
c) LED scribble strip for all faders.
d) 16x16 knobs and 8x8 buttons programmable matrix for VST/VSTi plugins. (A LED screen would be nice.)
e) Pricerage €2000-2500.

Please feel free to add suggestions for additional features.
Cubase 7.5.30 [64bit] + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 8, Cubasis 1.8.2 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.9.4 (Mavericks), Firewire Audiofile (to be replaced), iPad Air (128GB)
Svenne

Re: Control Surface [Poll]

Postby Strophoid » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:06 am

Bit of a worthless poll there, noone is against having more options in any pricerange with any featureset ;).
It'd be too expensive for me to justify the costs, although I'd like to have one. I'd like a Nuage as well so there you go.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby Svenne » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:37 am

Strophoid wrote:Bit of a worthless poll there

Is it? If the development department at Steinberg/Yamaha sees that there is sufficient interest/demand, they might do something about this hole in Steinberg product line (that's how businesses work). One can only hope.

If you can't afford it now, start saving. Saving up €2000-2500 is feasible for most people, in a reasonable amount of time. Saving up €20 000 (or whatever a Nuage console costs) is not.

Even if you can't afford it now. Cast your vote, and start saving. Should Steinberg decide not to make a control surface, you still have your savings and that can only be a good thing, Don't you think?
Cubase 7.5.30 [64bit] + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 8, Cubasis 1.8.2 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.9.4 (Mavericks), Firewire Audiofile (to be replaced), iPad Air (128GB)
Svenne

Postby Strophoid » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:46 pm

noone is against having more options in any pricerange with any featureset

That's my main point. The only people who could genuinly be uninterested at all are those who already have a controller that's far out of that pricerange like Nuage. Everyone who does not own one yet would at least be slightly interested.

When I say I can't afford it that doesn't mean I don't have the money, but I don't think a controller is worth that much money for what I do.

But as you wish, I'll vote I'd like to see what they can come up with.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby Svenne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:24 am

C'mon guys. Start voting. Are are there only 3 people out there who would like to see a serious control surface for Cubase/Nuendo?
Svenne

Postby TheNavigator » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:50 am

Let me be open here.

I have, more or less, put EUR 2.500,- aside for the one manufacturer who can provide me with a proper control surface of 12 - 16 channels with plugin / channel strip control.

Avid (Artist Control + Mix) almost got it, but I don't want to risk writing off the money one day just because Avid or Steinberg decide not to support their "most valued competitor" anymore... and using Pro Tools is not an option for me, because I have spent lots of money on VST plugins (which Pro Tools doesn't support, so it's basically blacklisted for me).

MCU is not an option, because it's huge (the chassis wastes a lot of space for nothing) and not really innovative anymore.

I'm waiting for MY control surface to come my way and holding my money back.
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

PC watercooling and overclocking afficionado.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

"Storms can't kill the faith in rainbows"
TheNavigator

Postby HarrySound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:50 pm

i'm not sure i'd want one at that price.
I'm not a pro, I just fumble my way through music.
I have a CC121 and I do love it.
Personally I think they missed a trick by not allowing us to customse it.
You can of course set the Function buttons....it's just a shame they didn't really expand with this idea to allow shift functions.
I don't even know why those buttons have LEDs behind them :roll:
HarrySound

Postby cmaffia » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:51 pm

HarrySound wrote:i'm not sure i'd want one at that price.
I'm not a pro, I just fumble my way through music.
I have a CC121 and I do love it.
Personally I think they missed a trick by not allowing us to customse it.
You can of course set the Function buttons....it's just a shame they didn't really expand with this idea to allow shift functions.
I don't even know why those buttons have LEDs behind them :roll:

Currently I am using a Tascam DM3200 that just controls the basics of Cubase. I wish it had more control of the more advanced functions such as plug-in parameters and all editing functions but it serves its purpose and is a fantastic desk with integrated sound, preamps and all the other bells and whistles. You can't beat the price either and I am sure I am not utilizing the full MIDI programable functions that could probably overcome some of these omissions but it would be nice if they were integrated "out of the box". It would be nice if Steinberg partnered more with other manufactures to get more advanced control into products such as this but I suppose that would put them in direct competition with their own products which are either not professional enough or completely out of the price range of the average user (ie NUAGE).
Tascam DM3200 - IF-FW/DMMKII - IF-AN/DM - Tascam DA-3000 Mastering Recorder - Cubase 7.5.20 32/64-Bit - i7-3770, 3.4GHz Quad Core - 8GB RAM - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - UAD-2 Solo - UAD-2 Duo - Steinberg CC121 - Frontier Tranzport - Wavelab 8.03 32/64-Bit

Hear the collection: The Sweats
cmaffia

Return to Steinberg CC121