daisychain MR Direct monitoring Workarounds anyone ?

this painful issue is still a PITA. specially with recording a band with singers and percussive instruments… the singers always feel they are in a “space” with even the smallest latency…( i checked it myself and its indeed takes the feel and its annoying when u hear your own sound from chest and body with latency from headphones :blush: )

also the MR extension is really limiting with routing,samplerate not syncing with adat is also a PITA ! maybe a firmware upgrade to set samplerate from front panel, if it can’t be synced automatically via adat,also made MR mirroring Analog inputs to corresponding Adat outputs, i need to disconnect and connect second MR when connected thru Adat 'to computers Firewire port 10 times a day to change things there… its unbelievable !!!

Wakeup steiny give multiplie MR users some “Freedom” .talk to yamaha to invest some more… even with small fee to upgrade firmware with some liberty to it.

Syncing with adat is fine here. I uninstalled the MR Extension so I can use the MR editor independently of Cubase.

I set my slave MR to sync via Adat and master MR to internal clock, but slave MR won’t sync and change sample rates according to master MR changes. (Not daisy chained only via Adat toslink cable)
When daisy chained and launched cubase the special scene I made in MR editor to use slaved MR routed via Adat is replaced, and I have no control to change it from cubase… This integration thing is not deep and not working that well… (It’s only good with one device)I’m considering removing the MR extension !! It’s annoying when those things are halfed backed and no improvements are considerd.

I mentioned this last year, it’s true that the salve MR’s do not follow the master sample rate. I have two MR’s slaved to my UR824 and I have to have them both connected via FireWire so I can change the sample rates manually every time I have to.

MC

in the manual they mention to set slave MR word Clock via Adat(when connected with adat) to be synced to master word clock… what that mean to sync word clock ? its different than follow samplerate by master ? the last sentence i highlighted in RED from manual means its not automatically follows samplerate !!?
the quote from the manual

The transmitting
device is called the “word clock master” and the
receiving devices are called “word clock slaves.” On the
MR816 CSX/MR816 X, the word clock can be transferred
via either the WCLK (Word Clock) jack, the S/
PDIF jack or the OPTICAL jack.
Because some digital equipment can operate only as
the word clock master or slave, you may need to set the
word clock source on the MR816 CSX/MR816 X. If such
a device is connected to the MR816 CSX, make sure to
set the Word Clock Source parameter on the Control
Panel of Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver or the MR Editor
on the computer.
When using the MR816 CSX/MR816 X as the word clock
master, set the Word Clock Source parameter to
“INTERNAL.” When using the MR816 CSX/MR816 X as
the word clock slave, set the Word Clock Source parameter
to “ADAT” or “S/PDIF” or “WCLK In” > > then set the
Sample Rate to the same value as that of the master
device.

is it confirmed by steinberg somewhere that samplerate not following only if daisy chained ?
seems Admins ignore questions if there is no “good” answer to it regarding MR816 , its a shame !

some how when i uninstall MR extension MR units goes wrong… no device, stuttering etc… not sure why this happens.

the slave MR via Adat is just not controllable, i cant even use the HP filters nor phase invert on the inputs…unless connecting it with FW port, which means :stop the session ,shutdown the system connect slave mr to FW, turn system on, do adjustments to slave MR save settings ,shout down again disconnect slave MR, turn system on.(and if the setting didn’t come as i wanted i need to this all over again). :confused:

i think a firmware update with front panel controls to adjust sample rate, turn HP filter and phase invert (as phantom power and Pad has) is a must !!
please consider this steinberg…

Good luck!

:wink: Thanks. or maybe its gonna be “good lock” :unamused:
probably they won’t invest and update, but hopefully they could understand that MR series used by many is seriously limiting and gave hassle to configure as slave in Adat mode. if possible technically i think its a common sense to update and let their customers be happy with their products.i think most user even pay a little fee to purchase such improved workflow.

This has been a source of anger for me since I bought my 2 MRs back in 2009 - when they claimed to have BOTH daisy chaining and direct monitoring. Back in 2009, they promised a software fix… then then after the 3 year statute of limitations on false advertising had expired, they came denied that they ever claimed multi-unit direct monitoring was a feature (even though they did exactly that in all their adds). Then, Steinberg informed all of us there would be no fix forthcoming. I have spoken to Steinberg and Yamaha people over and over - the last time at NAMM - and each time they offer their apologies and offer to get back to me, but … crickets… nada… zip…
Someone should have filed a class action lawsuit against them for false advertising. The sad reality is the only way to have 0 latency monitoring with more than one unit is to use an external mixer. Really disappointing. I will never buy another piece of Steinberg hardware again.

i have been through all this discussiones too… sadly they didn’t/couldn’t fix the daisychain direct monitoring issue.
but there is also no basic control to MR if its slave to ADAT !! have to connect it to FW for every basic change… its not supposed to be like that…!!!

i have been through all this discussiones too… sadly they didn’t/couldn’t fix the daisychain direct monitoring issue.
but there is also no basic control to MR if its slave to ADAT !! have to connect it to FW for every basic change… its not supposed to be like that…!!!

They fooled me too. I originally bought 6 MR’s. Steinberg have permanently lost me as a hardware client as well.

Same situation here…
I want to use direct monitoring for a small band (6p) two vocalists, piano, bass, drums (edrums stereo) and was hoping to devide the members over my two mr816’s; thereby using both headphone outputs on both pieces for the four cue mixes.

Sadly I found out it is not possible to direct monitor the inputs of another mr816 from which the headphone is connected to. (hope you understand the situation?).
I read all about it in this tread ( Feature Request Direct monitoring multiple MR816's - Steinberg Hardware - Steinberg Forums ).

I noticed a workarround provided by steinberg here ( https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/mr816-monitoring-without-latency.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[filter_1]=3 )

but I get lost halfway.
Does anyone know if that article culd solve my problem and can provide me a tutorial that is more easy to follow? (or explain it better )?
Also the screendumbs on the article are all versy small and hard to find the right settings…

If someone can help I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!
Jim

Here’s a workaround:
Connect your second MR to the computer and set it up as standalone, all inputs routed to adat outs and all adat ins routed to analog outs and hook up this to your first unit with two lightpipe cables.Assign the two headphones to, say, the first two stereo analog outs
Disconnect your second MR and connect your first.
Now, you should see your second inputs coming in on your main adat ins.
You can use your 2 headphone outs on your main unit as usual and use 2 (stereo) adat out pairs (on main) to send to your second unit, then assign those 2 pairs to the second unit’s headphone outs.

This way you can use direct monitoring and send 4 independent phones mixes.