Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks: CI1 distorts sound

e.g. in youtube it sounds like i’m playing a very run down vinyl with a lot of glitches. as soon as i change the output medium to the internal macbook speakers everything runs fine.

this is very VERY disappointing (given that you had MONTHS where Mavericks was in beta and available to developers…)

if you sell your products at a premium price i expect them to work with new versions of my OS

As you might know, Apple’s Mac OS X 10.9 has just been released. Currently we are testing all Steinberg products for OS X 10.9 compatibility. The testing is still going on, so we cannot provide you with the final results.

However, what is known so far is that all Steinberg software products (except for Cubase LE / AI / Elements 7.0.6) are affected by an issue with the CoreAudio2ASIO component when using audio hardware in class-compliant mode which may lead to dangerous digital noise. Some Steinberg hardware products need to be updated as well to ensure full compatibility with the new OS X version. We therefore recommend you not to upgrade to OS X 10.9 yet.*

We are already working on updates for affected products in order to make them available as soon as possible. We will keep you up to date. Please continue to visit www.steinberg.net for news and updates.

*In case you are using Cubase 7 and want to update to OS X 10.9 anyway, please make sure to deactivate the “Display have separate Spaces” option in the Mission Control Preferences.

hi.
I use a CI1 with mavericks. It works fine for me. Are you sure you are using the latest drivers? (1.7.2)

I have Mac OS 10.9 and have done an uninstall and reinstall of the new driver according to instructions. All audio stutters and is distorted … sound from the DAW (ableton), from browsers, from movie playbacks, from iTunes. Are there any known issues — programmes working in the background, etc. — that mitigate against the C1 working in 10.9. It worked just fine with Mountain Lion …

Thx

In case you use a fusion drive, please read this:

I’m having the exact same problem as Yacaaba using my CI2+ interface. It runs fine for a little while, but then the sound drops in to weird glitches untill I restart the audio application in use. Having the same problem with Spotify, browsers etc. Running an 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 15" (so no fusiondrive!) on Mavericks Os X 10.9.1 and just installed the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.8.3 which should work with Mac Os X 10.9.x.

Is this problem solvable in the next Steinberg update or should we wait for Apple’s next step? Could you please clearify the problems steinberg encounters? Looking forward to hearing a suitable solution! Thanks!

As soon as we have news on this, we will let you know!

The Mac OS X 10.9.2 update is available and I hope that it addresses the issues.
The version history states “Fixes an issue that may cause audio distortion on certain Macs” and I suggest to try it again now!