wavelab8 request(s)

All topics on WaveLab 7 and WaveLab Elements 7

wavelab8 request(s)

Postby da goose » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:25 am

Undo function for saving a mastersection preset or something like an AB.
Render WITH playback of sound when using external gear (should have been in wl6 already..)
www.mastering-online.nl
da goose

Re: wavelab8 request(s)

Postby Jperkinski » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:49 pm

I would love to see the ability for Wavelab to take the CD-Text info and embed it to rendered WAVs and mp3s as meta data when rendering files from the montage. Artist, album, song name and track number ( IE: 1 of 12 )

I'm doing less and less CD masters these days and mostly digital masters for hosting online and then 24-bit vinyl masters.

Along the same lines, I think there needs to be a way for Wavelab to add the track ID number to the start of the rendered file name so that when you render a generic folder of WAV or mp3 files, the files appear in the correct order. I know this can sort of be done with an extra step currently, but it's still very confusing and weird to me so I do it manually for nearly every project still.

The bug where the CD-report is unavailable sometimes until you load a new session and then go back to the one you were working on needs to be fixed ASAP.

I think this has been addressed, but the fact that WAV lab shows you every rendered file when it's done drives me nuts. I typically render a montage and then do other light tasks and it always goes back to Wavelab file view when a file is done which makes getting anything else done very annoying. Telling it to open files in a montage doesn't always work for the workflow I'm doing because sometimes I'm rendering one file at a time from the same montage and muting all other tracks since I'm sometimes mastering 6 versions of the same piece rather than a normal audio CD.

If there is any way to speed up the rendering that would be great. I think Wavelab only uses one processor core to render the montage. With the needed plugin power always going up, it's taking a REALLY long time to render a normal album when I have a UAD plugin and Ozone 5 on the master fader. This is using a pretty new Mac Pro tower so it should be able to do it faster if it would be able to use more than one processor.

It would be nice if when you group track or regions, everything is mirrored including fade-ins.

I don't think this will ever happen, but I still think that having the master section automatically tied to the montage makes the most sense like most DAW's. I've gotten in the habit of always loading the correct master section, but when you're trying to do quick work with many montages in a day,
it can be easy to forgot to load the proper master section. Would it be possible to have an option of how you want Wavelab to work? As is, and then a new way where the master section is always loaded with the montage?
Jperkinski

Postby Sound Restor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Hello!

A monitoring section "A la Nuendo"...

Sound Restor
Sound Restor

Postby etl17 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Sound Restor wrote:A monitoring section "A la Nuendo"...

+1
I am using a small chain of effects (including Toneboosters Isone and an EQ) on my Cubase / Nuendo monitoring section. It would be nice to have that option within Wavelab as well.
Nuendo 6 / Cubase 7.5 / Wavelab 8 / Windows 7 x64 / Custom build PC 990X, 24GB RAM / RME HDSPe / UAD 2 Quad / PoCo MkII
etl17

Postby Southae » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi, Folks!

Whilst on the subject of WL8 requests: I was heartened to see the Expander plug-in in WL7, and as I spend some time restoring older compressed recordings, it would also be nice to add a "Peak-Unlimiter" which could be used to help restore dynamics to heavily compressed or "air check" recordings.

What would also be "cool" would be to incorporate presets which emulate both creating and undoing such "old warriors" as Volumax and Levelmax compressors, and other such "relics" of analog broadcasting and recording, like Pultec's, dBx, Dolby A & B, etc. The only "rub" is that there might well still be legal restrictions or proprietary protections on these hardware items "functionalities" that would restrict implementations into the software plug-in realm without expensive royalties. [Akin to the recent release of Lexicon's Native Reverb plug-in algorithm bundles!]

As I'm "blue-sky" thinking, including some of the older pre-RIAA or RIAA "modifiable" EQ's might be helpful for those ancient 78 rpm, Columbia LP's, and EU HMV recordings that used their own disc equalizations prior to the standardizations applied for black disks and tapes (e.g., AME, CCIR, etc., pre-NAB standards). Allthough admitedly, this is a pretty tall order to ask, and would require some research into exactly how some of these very old record-playback EQ's were implemented.

Just thinking out loud here! :idea:
AES ;:-)

Just my 2 bits, 0 and 1!

ASUS Z-87 Expert MOBO, i7-4770K HASWELL Processor, 32GB RAM
ASUS GTX 770 Video, Corsair H-60 CPU Cooler & 550 Quiet Case
w/Samsung 512GB SSD Boot, & WIN 7 - 23% Overclocked
Echo Layla 24/96
Mackie 1604 VLZ/XDR
AKG, B&K, DPA, Royer, Schoeps & Sony Microphones, & Homebrew Quadriphonic Jecklin Disk
Pushing Way Over 10 Terabytes of Storage (GAD!)
And AWAAAAYY We Go!
Southae

Postby BrownswoodArchiving » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Batch Error Analysis. I beg you.
BrownswoodArchiving

Postby BrownswoodArchiving » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:46 pm

I think someone else mentioned it before but realtime rendering/monitoring. Specifically the monitoring of the external plug in.
BrownswoodArchiving

Fix Pan and Volume Envelope selecting

Postby Donx » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:28 am

Add ability to Select a Group or Select All Clips and be able to change the visible Pan or Volume envelope, all at once.
Right now it is very much broken and the only for sure way to change visibility is 'one clip at a time'

This lack of ability has become a nightmare to accomplish easy panning while working on multi-track mixes with many clips on each track.
Donx

Postby Aivaras » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:57 am

Render WITH playback of sound when using external gear (should have been in wl6 already..)

I'm using W7 and do hear the playback while rendering my external processing chain. Must be a configuration issue.
Aivaras
Kranto studijos, UAB
www.krantostudijos.lt
Aivaras

Postby da goose » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Aivaras wrote:

I'm using W7 and do hear the playback while rendering my external processing chain. Must be a configuration issue.

well.. then you must have found a hidden feature because this is not possible without re-recording what is played back. That is the only way to listen to what is rendered.
www.mastering-online.nl
da goose

Postby toader » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:44 pm

1) I see when I enable the "audio input" plugin, I can monitor through Wavelab in realtime by using the "Play" button... however, I cannot bypass the plugin? I want to bypass it so I can listen to an audio file as a reference. Then I could re-enable the plugin, to go back to what I am working on in real-time.

2) Is there a way to have an audio file looped that is constantly playing in Wavelab? - and then I can enable/disable the audio input button to go back and forth between the audio I am working on, and my reference audio that is continuously looping?

Thanks,
Todd
toader

Postby Bane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:31 pm

BrownswoodArchiving wrote:Batch Error Analysis. I beg you.

+1

And a stereo analysis tool.
Asus R500A-RS52, Windows 8, 2.6gHz i5 -3230M, 6GB RAM,

Cubase Artist 7.0.6, Wavelab Elements 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, The Grand 3, Melodyne Essential, Superior Drummer, EZDrummer and Pop! EZX, Samson CO1, Yamaha P-35, Mackie MR5mk2 monitors, and more....

My tunes on: Soundcloud
Bane

Postby Aivaras » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:04 pm

da goose wrote:well.. then you must have found a hidden feature because this is not possible without re-recording what is played back. That is the only way to listen to what is rendered.

"Hidden" is relative to the operator as is "not possible." I kindly invite you to spend more time troubleshooting the configuration of the ASIO external gear plug-in in connection with audio streaming settings (playback, recording, ASIO plug-ins). Setting it all up is indeed a perplexing endeavor (this section of Wavelab needs basic re-thinking in the direction of intuitiveness and simplification, Cubase is more advanced and more streamlined in this respect).
Aivaras
Kranto studijos, UAB
www.krantostudijos.lt
Aivaras

Postby S-EH » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi,

Please tell "How you setup routing and configure with External gear"
and don't forget tell what Audio Device and Mixer hard/soft, external gear,
digital or analog gear etc with WL7

simply why is, because some here saying it doesn't work at all
and here I read it works !?

confusing !

regards S-EH
RME Fireface 800, WaveLab, Cubase...
S-EH

Postby Aivaras » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm sorry, I'm away from my studio, and thus cannot report my settings with proper exactitude (I literally set & forget).

But think it this way: if W7 can render an external processing chain (using the external gear plug-in), then it must be able to output (playback) a signal in real time. From here, it's a simple question at what point you create a copy of the signal for your monitoring purposes. I monitor either past analog chain before the AD converter (via an analog router), or past the AD converter before W7 (routing a copy of the converted digital signal via the RME Total Mix back to the DA converter).

Now what I do not do and thus cannot confirm or deny is whether it is possible to monitor the returning signal past the inputs of W7.
Aivaras
Kranto studijos, UAB
www.krantostudijos.lt
Aivaras

Postby maxlz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:49 am

...option to save the mastersection with the audiomontage... :mrgreen:
Please, please, please make it possible to have the possibility to connect these two steps...

Thanks. max.
cubase 7, wave lab 7, macbook pro OSX 10.8, rme fireface 400
maxlz

Postby Arjan P » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:10 am

maxlz wrote:...option to save the mastersection with the audiomontage... :mrgreen:
Please, please, please make it possible to have the possibility to connect these two steps...

This was already possible in Wavelab 6..
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 8.5.10 | Cubase 6.5.5 / 7.5.30 | HALion Sonic 1.6.3 | Win7 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 ----- SoundByte Studio
Arjan P

Postby PG » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:48 am

This is already possible:
Options > Audio Montage preferences > Active Audio Montage > Auto Save Master Section preset.
Philippe
PG

Postby Aivaras » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:11 pm

I am yet to find a way how to use a mono plug-in (e.g., EQ, comp, reverb, etc.) on a single channel of a stereo track, say, for sum & difference processing to address just the sum or just the difference part of the signal. It could be a special routing plug-in, it could be a channel routing matrix built into each track. At preset, I must resort to Cubase 6 when I want to do just that, and I'd rather stay in Wavelab.
Aivaras
Kranto studijos, UAB
www.krantostudijos.lt
Aivaras

Postby Rat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:49 am

Hi ...

I would like to see a simple batch stereo interleaver. One where you can drag a few mono files (that are designated 'L' and 'R') which are then converted to stereo files to be saved in a specific location ... no change to sample rate or bit depth.

A lot of my clients send me separate mono files exported from ProTools and at present I use an external interleaver utility to 'make' these stereo for ease of management.

Of course, it may already be in WL and I have just missed it.

Thanks
Regards,
Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Intel i7 860 at 2.8GHz, 4 GB platinum memory RAM, ASUS P7855D E-Evo, Windows 7 Professional, 3X SATA internal (Seagate/Raptor) and 2X firewire HD, 2X external DVD drives: Plextor/Pioneer, RME HDSPe AIO, Mytek converters

WaveLab 8.5 current release, iLok, Waves, DMG (Dave Gamble), Sony Oxford, Weiss, Class A Solid State and Custom Stuff
Rat

Postby Southae » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi, Folks!

As I began to think more about audio restoration, it occurred to me that although various WL compression algorithms use flexible bandwidth capabilities (I'm thinking of the earlier Multi-Band Compressor, here), the new Expander does not have mult-band capability. Just another thought from Narragansett Bay. :idea:
AES ;:-)

Just my 2 bits, 0 and 1!

ASUS Z-87 Expert MOBO, i7-4770K HASWELL Processor, 32GB RAM
ASUS GTX 770 Video, Corsair H-60 CPU Cooler & 550 Quiet Case
w/Samsung 512GB SSD Boot, & WIN 7 - 23% Overclocked
Echo Layla 24/96
Mackie 1604 VLZ/XDR
AKG, B&K, DPA, Royer, Schoeps & Sony Microphones, & Homebrew Quadriphonic Jecklin Disk
Pushing Way Over 10 Terabytes of Storage (GAD!)
And AWAAAAYY We Go!
Southae

Postby LutzR » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:51 am

Rat wrote:Hi ...

I would like to see a simple batch stereo interleaver. One where you can drag a few mono files (that are designated 'L' and 'R') which are then converted to stereo files to be saved in a specific location ... no change to sample rate or bit depth.

A lot of my clients send me separate mono files exported from ProTools and at present I use an external interleaver utility to 'make' these stereo for ease of management.

Of course, it may already be in WL and I have just missed it.

Thanks

Maybe I tell the obvious, but you can easily drag your mono files into a montage with two mono tracks, panned left and right, and then render to a stereo file. The best way would be to save a preset of this montage setting which you can instantly open.
The working setps would then be: Open preset, insert mono files and render to stereo. Looks quite fast and easy.

edit: I now noticed you said "batch stereo interleaver". Still you can accomplish this in Wavelab:
Use the montage as described above and insert all mono pairs to the left and right channel. Then add Track Markers with the CD wizard and render all regions to stereo files. This works like a batch converter...
Lutz
Wavelab 7.2 (32 bit)/ Windows 7 / Intel Core i7 / 3,5 GHz / 16 GB RAM / Algorithmix / Waves / PSP / Voxengo...
LutzR

Postby maxlz » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:29 am

PG wrote:This is already possible:
Options > Audio Montage preferences > Active Audio Montage > Auto Save Master Section preset.

...thx PG, I was not aware of this!

m.
cubase 7, wave lab 7, macbook pro OSX 10.8, rme fireface 400
maxlz

Postby KORAS » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi
If I may have suggestion for future update/upgrade release of WL. There is a function called “Blur peaks” in Spectrum Editor. Since I often work with classical guitar material I would love to have something to clean excessive breath noise captured by microphone. I was thinking about opposite thing to “Blur peaks” so it leaves stronger signal unchanged but lowers the background. It could be very useful also as noise remover I surgical meaning.

Thanx ...W
KORAS

Postby Rat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:20 am

LutzR wrote:
Maybe I tell the obvious, but you can easily drag your mono files into a montage with two mono tracks, panned left and right, and then render to a stereo file. The best way would be to save a preset of this montage setting which you can instantly open.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

This is how I am already doing it within WL and it works well.

The utility I was looking for was much more straight forward and more or less 'automated'. No file by file save and no need to create and render from montages. Completely off line.

At present I use the one that Rail Jon Rogut was kind enough to provide which I don't think is freely available (at least I've checked his site and it's not there).

It's not a big issue.
Regards,
Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Intel i7 860 at 2.8GHz, 4 GB platinum memory RAM, ASUS P7855D E-Evo, Windows 7 Professional, 3X SATA internal (Seagate/Raptor) and 2X firewire HD, 2X external DVD drives: Plextor/Pioneer, RME HDSPe AIO, Mytek converters

WaveLab 8.5 current release, iLok, Waves, DMG (Dave Gamble), Sony Oxford, Weiss, Class A Solid State and Custom Stuff
Rat

Next

Return to WaveLab 7 | WaveLab Elements 7