wavelab8 request(s)

All topics on WaveLab 7 and WaveLab Elements 7

Re: wavelab8 request(s)

Postby tonyyoungblood » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 pm

True Scrub.

I'm still new to Wavelab7, so there's a possibility I'm overlooking this feature, but I cannot find any way to scrub.

True scrubbing is not the same as Jog & Shuttle. Jog and Shuttle will change the speed of the playback depending on where you put your mouse. Scrubbing repeatedly plays a micro loop of the point at which the cursor rests. Usually, you can specify how many microseconds you want the loop to be.

Scrubbing is ESSENTIAL in identifying specifics points in the audio. I used it in Soundtrack Pro and Audition to identify and remove clipping and to make razor cuts on similar sounding sections.
tonyyoungblood

Postby PG » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 am

The kind of scrubbing you mention works like this in WaveLab: start playback of an audio file (not montage), then click in the time ruler and hold the mouse button down. Everytime you move to a new position, playback restarts from that point. When you release the mouse button, the edit cursor is located at the last start position, presumely the position you're looking for.
Philippe
PG

Postby tonyyoungblood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 am

Thank you Phillipe for your quick reply.

This is a actually a little bit more useful than what I'm currently doing: holding down Alt and repeatedly clicking the left mouse button. I'll use the method you suggested for now. But it's still not nearly as helpful as dragging the cursor across the waveform and hearing a microloop (15 ms for example) at the cursor start point. But in order for it to really work, you need a set microloop of a specific time, which your method does not have. Your method plays back until you move the cursor. Scrub is sort of like sending out a sonar pulse to gauge your position.

Scrub is essential for those of us who insist on editing by sound and not just the visuals of the waveform. I got addicted to it way back in 1997 on my trusty old Roland VS-880 digital 8 track recorder, which couldn't even display a waveform, so no visual editing at all. I used scrub all the time to find specific start points on Soundtrack Pro. Once you start using it, it's hard to use a program without it.
tonyyoungblood

Postby Donx » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:56 am

If you click on the time ruler while in PLAY, the playback starts there. If you did not move the cursor after clicking, then you can click again starting at the same spot. Do this repeatedly for a looping effect. Move to another location and do the same. Until you find the part you want. Then drop a marker.
Donx

Postby greggybud » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:57 pm

A decent pdf or paper user manual? Like what existed in WL6?

Automation? Effect morphing works but I'm referring to the Cubase type automation.
Windows 7 x64, Wavelab 8, Cubase 7.5 x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
greggybud

Postby Arjan P » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 pm

greggybud wrote:A decent pdf or paper user manual? Like what existed in WL6?

Right, exactly! +1
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 8.5.10 | Cubase 6.5.5 / 7.5.20 | HALion Sonic 1.6.3 | Win7 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 ----- SoundByte Studio
Arjan P

Postby Bane » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:02 am

Upgrade path from Elements to full would be nice. :)

A stereo imaging tool would come in handy. Something like what Ozone has.
Asus R500A-RS52, Windows 8, 2.6gHz i5 -3230M, 6GB RAM,

Cubase Artist 7.0.6, Wavelab Elements 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, The Grand 3, Melodyne Essential, Superior Drummer, EZDrummer and Pop! EZX, Samson CO1, Yamaha P-35, Mackie MR5mk2 monitors, and more....

My tunes on: Soundcloud
Bane

Postby Arjan P » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:07 am

What I would very much like to be added to the spectral editing feature is the representation of audio in the stereo field, like Roland R-mix does. That would be really helpful - and obviously with that the possibility to only edit in that stereo field position. Not equally L & R channels.

Quoted from here: Spectral editing topic
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 8.5.10 | Cubase 6.5.5 / 7.5.20 | HALion Sonic 1.6.3 | Win7 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 ----- SoundByte Studio
Arjan P

Postby Southae » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi, Philippe!

While we're on the subject of "nice to have's" in WL8, I've discovered that the import mechanism for earlier version WL 4/5/6 presets doesn't fare too well when attempts are made to import such settings into WL7.

For instance efforts to bring in "Q", "MultiBand Compressor", "DeNoiser", "DeClicker", "NaturalVerb", etc. presets into WL7 result in error notices. To an extent this is understandable as the newer 'plugs' are considerably different, and likely more sophisticated. But if such is the case, why bother with an import function? Is there any way that such settings can be transferred into the newer 'plugs', perhaps through a lookup table to apply the older settings to the newer 'plugs'? It would at least get things into a comparable "ball park" for the earlier setting transitions to the newer plug-ins.

Again, just some more idle thoughts from Narragansett Bay!

Thanks for everything you do for us users! The WL Software is just fantastic!
AES ;:-)

Just my 2 bits, 0 and 1!

ASUS Z-87 Expert MOBO, i7-4770K HASWELL Processor, 32GB RAM
ASUS GTX 770 Video, Corsair H-60 CPU Cooler & 550 Quiet Case
w/Samsung 512GB SSD Boot, & WIN 7 - 23% Overclocked
Echo Layla 24/96
Mackie 1604 VLZ/XDR
AKG, B&K, DPA, Royer, Schoeps & Sony Microphones, & Homebrew Quadriphonic Jecklin Disk
Pushing Way Over 10 Terabytes of Storage (GAD!)
And AWAAAAYY We Go!
Southae

Postby PG » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:06 am

Normally, "Q", "MultiBand Compressor", "DeNoiser", "DeClicker", "NaturalVerb", that are referred to old Master Section presets should be recongnized (on Windows). Else that's a bug. Is that what you mean?
I understand the interest of the idea to map settings from old plugins to newer plugins, but in practise, this is impossible because the algorithms have changed.
Philippe
PG

Postby kj » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:50 am

A decent pdf or paper user manual? Like what existed in WL6?

+1
kj

Postby Cubic Spline » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:05 pm

Hello,

A nice thing would be some more advanced options on the spectrometer :
- a slope setting (like on the free voxengo span) : for exemple, in 3dB slope, pink noise has a flat frequency response, white noise a +3dB/oct rising slope. It corresponds better to the human hearing.
- L and R signal separatly.
- Speed setting (= averaging), to see "RMS like" value at each frequencies, independantly of the FFT block size chosen.

Thanks !
Cubic Spline

Postby Cubic Spline » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:53 am

Cubic Spline wrote:Hello,

A nice thing would be some more advanced options on the spectrometer :
- a slope setting (like on the free voxengo span) : for exemple, in 3dB slope, pink noise has a flat frequency response, white noise a +3dB/oct rising slope. It corresponds better to the human hearing.
- L and R signal separatly.
- Speed setting (= averaging), to see "RMS like" value at each frequencies, independantly of the FFT block size chosen.

Thanks !

Perhaps it can be integrated in WaveLab 7 also !
Cubic Spline

Postby Muziksculp » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:55 pm

A complete re-design (modernization) of the overall Wavelab GUI is needed.

Hopefully, Wavelab 8 will look much better, and offer great workflow, new features, misc. improvements, ...etc.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Cubase 7.5, Halion 5, Halion Sonic 2, Padshop Pro, RND Portico EQ & Compressor, Wavelab 8, 3 X PC systems, 2 X RME UFX Audio Interfaces.
Muziksculp

Postby Arjan P » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Muziksculp wrote:A complete re-design (modernization) of the overall Wavelab GUI is needed.

I disagree. We've just been through a complete redesign going from WL6 to WL7, thank you. What is needed is some refinement fo the present HUI and functional improvements/ feature enhancements. And most of all, a good pdf User Manual in a printable (A4) format - or an optional paper one.
Arjan P

Postby Aivaras » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:39 am

Something like this in Audio Montage:

1. Control-clicking on track panels lets you select two or more tracks (say, tracks 1 + 7 + 8);
2. Pressing tab (or some other dedicated key command) rotates between the selected tracks by smoothly soloing each in turn (1 > 7 > 8 > 1... etc.).

That is for the purpose of comparing two or more tracks in the audio montage setting. Presently, it can be done, but not very conveniently.
Aivaras
Kranto studijos, UAB
www.krantostudijos.lt
Aivaras

Postby babaorum » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:33 pm

- an option to keep last checked or unchecked 'audio monitoring' box in the record windows.
Cubase 7.5.10 64bits- Windows 8.1 pro 64bits - wavelab element 8.0.3 - core i7 920 - 12 Go RAM - 250 Go SSD + 32 Go SSD + 4.750 To HDD. Creamware/Sonic Core Luna + Pulsar II.
Netyourmix online studio
babaorum

Postby Transistor » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:45 am

Can we still make wishes? If so, I'd like an enhanced spectral editor, with better selection ("magic wand", "lasso"?), better stereo options etc. Secondly--and obviously--a manual.

r,
j,
i7-860/8192/Win7-64
C7.0.7(64)/WL8.5(64)/Motu128/RME/Mytek 8x192
Plugins. Hardware.
Transistor

Postby tonyyoungblood » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:54 am

Donx wrote:If you click on the time ruler while in PLAY, the playback starts there. If you did not move the cursor after clicking, then you can click again starting at the same spot. Do this repeatedly for a looping effect. Move to another location and do the same. Until you find the part you want. Then drop a marker.

Donx, see above. PG already covered this. It's hard to effectively illustrate how important a true scrub feature is unless you've tried one. Try the scrub in Soundtrack Pro (or a good old Roland VS-880) to see what I'm talking about.
tonyyoungblood

Postby damienc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:48 am

1. I'd like to see a full suite of metadata processing tools incorporated into the batch processor. This would include the ability to create meaningful UMID (SMPTE ST 330:2004) and USID (EBU R 99), add data to existing data namely in Coding History... I could go all day.

2. An ability to extract audio data from Audio CDs that have problems reading tracks. For example, we deal with some CD-Rs recorded way back when on stand-alone CD Recorders that required finalising. If they weren't finalised properly, we can't get the last track of them, even though the audio data is on there. Luckily, we can send them back to the source who still have the CD recorder but that won't last long.

3. The ability to communicate directly with mass CD ingest robots so we could use Wavelab to rip CDs as it does things the software that came with the machines cannot, namely, rip audio in pre-gaps.

4. Not having to wait for version 8 to see some of these features ;)
Audio Preservation
National Preservation Projects Section
Operations and Preservation
[bold" target="_blank">National Archives of Australia[/bold" target="_blank">
120 Miller Road, Chester Hill NSW 2162
Locked Bag 4, Chester Hill NSW 2162
t +612 9645 0100
naa.gov.au
damienc

Postby ceeboks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:00 pm

please make my old q-metric plugin working again with wavelab 8 and i will upgrade.
otherwise i'll stay with wl7. i'm satisfied with that version so far.
ceeboks
ceeboks

Win 7-64bit, SP1 | P7P55D-E Deluxe | Intel I860, 2.8Ghz, 16GB | ATi PowerColor HD5750 | RME HDSP9632 | WaveLab 7.2.1.600
ceeboks

Postby BrownswoodArchiving » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:00 pm

A fail safe or a dialogue that pops up when samples have been dropped during a recording. At the moment, there is no flagging of this in Wavelab (nor was there in v.6). I would rate this feature as highly important!

Many thanks.
BrownswoodArchiving

Postby rockville » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:21 am

An update from WL6 bypassing the WL7 train crash would be good.
rockville

Re: Fix Pan and Volume Envelope selecting

Postby BrianO » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:09 am

Donx wrote:Add ability to Select a Group or Select All Clips and be able to change the visible Pan or Volume envelope, all at once.
Right now it is very much broken and the only for sure way to change visibility is 'one clip at a time'

This lack of ability has become a nightmare to accomplish easy panning while working on multi-track mixes with many clips on each track.

Aye, aye. This worked, quite nicely, in WL 6. In WL7 it is busted, and a horror to work with.
In fact, why wait for WL8? How about 7.3? :)
BrianO

Postby gugu » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:24 am

iXml metadata support .....
gugu

PreviousNext

Return to WaveLab 7 | WaveLab Elements 7