Steinberg / Arturia V-Collection

OK, I opened an empty project and it works. Maybe I just had some glitch…

No I only have Mac. I quickly installed the demo, and attempted to throw the J8V into a busy project. It appears to be working now (?) Looks like I avoided another ‘fight’ .

In all of this, I ran thru the Prophet. The low end on it, wow. The organs, whew. Yeah I need the collection. This may sound better than the TAL stuff, TAL cuts thru the mix, but these sound more true… I guess.

Glad you got it going. Now you can help ME !! lol

Sorry, what is ‘TAL’ ?? Is it a plugin in manufacturer ??

Togu Audio Line, they emulate the JUNO line, quite nice, although I have never to my knowledge heard a Juno solo/live, so I don’t have a real basis. It’s a tiny more forward in sound, but the real deal is the way they design the controls, they feel smooth, the interpolation, even using a mouse, is something you don’t see a lot. With this J8, it looks like a minor issue, there is not a lot of knob travel space to hear the transitions, say if you wanted to really fine tune a setting. You can get the free TAL chorus, and a few other goodies as well.

Ok, cheers I had never heard of them (Togu) before.

I won a Juno 6 on eBay just before Xmas. The seller was a DORK and did not package it up properly (and charged me £50 postage) !! I opened a dispute and got £20 back for the P&P. I think the seller was gutted he let it go for so cheap. In any case, it was not damaged and I got it for only £400. Its having a mini service at the moment and also a modified ‘Chorus’ component because the current one is a bit ‘hissy’ (though this is a very common fault).

I think Potentiometers on the JP8 are not quite as smooth as they could be (for fine tuning). But I can live with it.

Yeah I’m so sorry to troll the forum with my posts, but I can imagine the real JUNO is a lot better to play the real thing, it seems more for immediate action, whereas the J8 VST you can just hit a key and let it sustain, which suffices for a VSTi. But yeah the GUI is tough. I can’t get anything from the cutoffs. Thats like the most important section of the entire synth. It’s like 350 to 700 on the mouse and nothing in between, if I use any contextual keys it just freezes? No precision at all eh? I don’t like that but I can live with it, it’s just the sound of that synth. I got such a good supersaw sound I can’t complain!

I did see the delay mod on the left btw, I don’t have time for that :slight_smile:

I actually prefer the Prophet to this overall! Just seems richer.

Hi again,

There is an update for SPARK DRUMS available. I have SPARK DRUMS included in my Arturia V-Collection. When I click on the update link (which was emailed to me from Arturia) :-

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/Spark2/resources.html

it says SPARKS 2 vst. I am really not sure if this is an appropriate update download for the version of SRARKS I have in my bundle collection ? Is the number ‘2’ meaning an update number, or literally a superior version ?

Thanks a lot guys,

Paul

Guys, these are all back on sale, individuals are at $50 USD.

Collection at $199.

Hi guys,

Has anyone used/bought the ‘Arturia Lab’ (49/61 x note) keyboard controller and its related software as yet please?

I was thinking what it would be like to use this (with a laptop) on a live gig (say, with a Nord Stage or a Fender Rhodes piano) for (retro type) synth sounds?

I have the ‘V-Collection’ (vsti’s) already from the ‘Valentines Sale’ earlier in the year but I see that the ‘Lab’ comes with its own dedicated software which (as I understand) comprises a scaled down version of the affore mentioned (around 4,000 x sounds depending on which keyboard size you buy). I assumed that you would be able to use the full ‘V-Collection’ with the ‘Lab’ controller but apparently, even though there is less content in the latter mentioned, it seems to be preferred (and somewhat advised for the sake of simplicity) to use this because everything regarding Mapping/Routing/Controllers etc has been already fully configured for each and every sound (so that you can use it right out of the box!)?

I could not see any in depth discussions on this matter so I decided to just tag it onto this already up and running thread. In any case, here is a link to an SOS article outlining the essentials (I kind of thought the ‘Lab’ was a very new product but I just noted the date on this review which is almost 2 x years old if I am correct!) :-

I do have other Q’s but I will leave it as this for now until it is time to move on.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

While I am not having any issues with my Collection, the more I read, the less I want to get too complex with Arturia.

People are having software issues, reports of the older versions with issues.

It also feels like they are trying to improve things as I see an Arturia rep answering forum questions lately.

I would probably wait to see what’s around the corner and make sure future products are going to be smoothly compatible. They have new software, and they will probably be incorporating it into newer firmwares.

Thanks mpayne,

So an Arturia rep has been answering questions on this Steinberg forum?

You think they may bring out another software and controller to replace the whole ARTURIA LAB (keyboard/software) package?

Maybe I should check the Arturia forum then. But as I say, I only became aware of this package at the weekend and was quite excited bout it to be honest!

Ta,

Paul

yeah, his name is Kevin. It looks like he has been trying to help a lot on Gearslutz and KVR

I’m just theorizing. It just seems like they need to re-solder their connections together again, because there were things that weren’t fixed that are apparently still issues, and they are introducing new stuff, I would wait till they iron this stuff out first.

I think it’s $99 upgrade? It looks good but there are a lot of $99 things right now, like Cubase 8 LOL can’t have em all.

Mpayne,

Thanks a lot.

I did not realize that it was such wiring issues with the controller itself. Thats not good at all!

Sorry mate, what is a $99 upgrade please? You mean from ‘Arturia Collection (V or 3)’ to the LAB version?

I posted a (this) question yesterday and joined the Arturia forum.

Best,

Paul

No, I only mean ‘solder’ as a figure of speech, my bad, I should know that is confusing.

I mean they just need to get everything updated and working together smoothly, rather than add on to the broken stuff.

The $99 upgrade for upgrade from V3 to V4, which includes 2* additional synths. Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

*edit, actually 3 new items, the Solina, the Matrix, and the Vox.

Thanks,

Oh I see. Yes, I think they now have a SOLINA STRINGS and an OBERHEIM vsti’s.

Ta,

Paul

*** sorry, just seen your update! lol**

I can’t remember what the exact title is of the one I have. I thought it was ‘V Collection’ but when I looked on the Arturia site the ‘V’ is $399 and (I paid half price in the Valentines Sale) and I am sure it was not as much as $199? The original Steinberg link is dead. May I have a scaled down version though it does contain about 8 x vsti’s!

The Keylab looks interesting.

I suppose that would make it a lot easier with the tiny on screen knobs.
Let us know how you get on with that, if you will.

Hi,

Yes, as I say, it was for live gigging than for studio use.

So would you say go for it or not mate? Nobody replied to me on the Arturia forum? I don’t think it gets as much traffic as on here.

Ta,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks, have you tried Gearslutz?

They are active there, since releasing V4. I believe on KVR they have their own support forum branch as well.

Hi MPayne,

I am a member but I don’t really like the site to be honest. Its very hard to stay focused on there and the threads seems to jump topic so much. Plus it is so vast and quite daunting!

They are active there, since releasing V4. I believe on KVR they have their own support forum branch as well.

No, I never heard of this one. I will give it a look ta.

Paul

Here is a quote from Toby at Arturia for some context. From GS

just to let you know A LOT of bugs were fixed in the existing products, they have never been so stable so you really are getting quite a big improvment to the existing plugins with the new v collection. cheers

I don’t know what that means for the hardware, but it is good to know.

Thanks a LOT MPayne.