Steinberg CI 1 and 3.5mm Microphone Compatability

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.

Steinberg CI 1 and 3.5mm Microphone Compatability

Postby dmaurath » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:47 am

I purchased to a Steinberg CI 1 to enable digital dual-recording of two study participants at the same time.

The microphones I am using are attached to Plaintronics Gamecom 1 headsets and use a 3.5mm stereo connector. To connect them to the Steinberg CI 1 I bought two 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters at Radioshack. However the Steinberg CI 1 does not recognize (no light by the input) the microphones when plugged in.

My Windows 7 PC recognizes the Steinberg CI 1, but when I tried a test recording, there was only silence. There was also silence when I tried to listen to the microphone in the headset. To me this indicates that the sound is not being sent to the PC, thus an issue with the Steinberg CI 1 not recognizing the microphone.

Any ideas on how to remedy this situation? Are the microphones not compatible with the Steinberg CI 1?

Thanks!
dmaurath

Re: Steinberg CI 1 and 3.5mm Microphone Compatability

Postby Split » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:02 am

First off, the microphone should be plugged into a microphone input, not a 1/4" line input (wrong sensitivity)

Second the microphone input is a balanced input and most likely the headsets microphone is not balanced!

Maybe try a 3.5mm to 1/4" unbalanced adaptor, plugged into a 1/4" to XLR adapter, into the interfaces Mic input!?
??????Split
slightly uncertain principles

i7 2600k 16 gig C6.5.3 W7 64
2x24" + 1x19" monitors

and more stuff than a stuffy thing in stuffy land
Split
Grand Senior Member

Re: Steinberg CI 1 and 3.5mm Microphone Compatability

Postby dmaurath » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Split wrote:First off, the microphone should be plugged into a microphone input, not a 1/4" line input (wrong sensitivity)

Second the microphone input is a balanced input and most likely the headsets microphone is not balanced!

Maybe try a 3.5mm to 1/4" unbalanced adaptor, plugged into a 1/4" to XLR adapter, into the interfaces Mic input!?

Oh ok I see. I did not know there two different types. I tried searching for a specifically unbalanced adapter but no luck. Any recommendations for sites to find one?
dmaurath

Return to Computer / Studio Hardware & Setup