Strange Distortion

Sorry for a bit late reply. Been “busy” (driving to beautiful Finnish countryside, rowing a boat to a small island in the middle of a lake and spending a nice day with my sister’s family there) today.

Yes, this sounds like sample rate mismatch. This is a common problem when using one audio interface for Windows Audio (for example Internet streaming) and ASIO (for example Cubase).

The best way to get rid of this for good is to use different audio interfaces for each task (as I already recommended). Now, If you want to use same speakers for both tasks, you have 2 options:

1. Buy a small-scale analog mixer and connect outputs of your Scarlett and your PCs audio interface to stereo inputs of the mixer and speakers t the outputs of the mixer. You can get a suitable Behringer one (shhh … don’t tell anyone, I recommended B-brand) for $50 or so.
  2. Since you Scarlett is an intelligent audio interface, I think (not absolutely sure, if this possible) you should be able to connect your PC’s internal audio interface’s output to a pair of Scarlett’s inputs and route these inputs to your speakers inside Scarlett DSP mixer.