Rewire and Cubase AI6 64bit

Does Cubase 6AI 64-bit support Reason 6 64-bit via rewire? I cannot find that option when I open Devices under Cubase. Reason 6 says it automatically installs the 64-bit version when it detects a 64-bit DAW and I am definitely using the 64-bit version of Cubase 6 AI. Thanks for any advice, information or help.

I think 64bit rewire for Cubase will come with a future update, the advice is if you need rewire to use the 32bit wersion.

Hi Donny,

I took advantage of the great Reason 6 name your price for the upgrade offer and was excited about Reason finally supporting 64bit rewire functionality too. Unfortunately, Cubase 6 does not support 64bit rewire yet, and this issue will be addressed in a future update. I have been using the 32bit version for now and Cubase 6 and Reason 6 are still an impressive combination.

Thank you.

Can you guys at Steinberg give us 64 bit users some indication of when rewire 64 bit will be available in Cubase 6. The idea of reverting back to a 32 bit environment is not an option as I am taking advantage of the extra capacity a 64 bit system gives.
Please, please give us some indication. You must have some time scale you are working to. We’ve paid a lot of money for these products so the least you can do is keep us up to date. It’s been weeks since Reason 6 was released and personally I don’t think it should take this long when you’ve got lists and lists of requests in various forums. I work in IT and client requests are tuned around in days not weeks. Steinberg you have dedicated followers (your clients) who want to keep up with the latest technology so please support these needs.
Why don’t you employ Joao at JBRIDGE to do the work?
I’m sure he’d turn it around very quickly. :cry:

They already have discussed it, do a Cubase 6 forum search, Reason 6 only came out a week before the last Cubase update so there was not enough time to write and test it before that release so they are trying to get it out before the next major Cubase update

However, Cubase 6AI 64bits is news to me, I had no idea they has shipped an 64 bit version of AI and there is no mention of that version on the Steinberg site, when did it come out?

The last Cubase 6 update was on the 16th November, Reason 6 shipped on the 30th September. It is now 19th December so there is no excuse for such a late delay. Steinberg need to respond to user needs in order to retain it’s loyal customers otherwise they will go elsewhere. I’m a big Cubase fan and love their products but get realistic, in a world of fast moving technology they need to keep up with the flow. I work in this field and this sort of stuff should be turned atround in days not months. Just take a look at the likes of JBridge. The guy responds immediately so why can’t Steinberg?

Cubase is an immensely complex real time application with a team of coders, JBridge is in comparison a very simple bridging code for translating 32 bit plugin to 64bit, programmed by one person. There is no comparison to be had.

As you will understand, it’s not just a case of amending or adding a bit of code and chuck it out to the public.

Well, you’re both right. Certainly Steinberg has had access to pre-release versions of 64 bit Reason/rewire well before it was released. There is no comparison to implementing 64 bit rewire into Cubase and developing JBridge, though I wish Cubase’s bit bridge were nearly as good as JBridge. Reaper’s is. I’ve heard that Sonar’s is pretty good.

Anyway, Cubase updates feel better now than in the old days. I’m very happy with it, never been more productive, but having moved nearly everything to 64 bit, and having a copy of Reason 6 on the way this week, I’d love to see 64 bit rewire soon! I understand that Reaper has 64 bit rewire…will know by Christmas. I like Reaper, but it isn’t dragging me away from Cubase. Cubase feels like home.

Looking forward to getting this 32 bit thing behind me.

Yes but NOT release versions, testing against pre-release versions is less than useful in a situation like this since it is not the version that is being shipped, and BTW Propellerhead did not release the full development kit until they released the shipping version of Reason 6 even if pre-release versions of the Reason itself were floating around, understandably from a competitive standpoint

And there is no point in comparing it to other companies 64bit rewire implementations since there are no 64bit third party rewire implementations at the moment, the 3 64bit sequencers that have shipped them are not actually shipping 64bit rewire implementations, they are flat thunk bridges, i.e. the transport protocol is the old 32bit version of rewire with a 64bit frontend for the sequencer

This is all moot anyway, the original question is asking for support 64bit rewire support for a 32 bit sequencer … and AI6 is a Free/OEM version of Cubase anyway, I can understand users of Nuendo screaming for updates having paid what they do, being outraged that AI6 does not support all the latest and greatest is stretching it a bit

No excuses just give us 64 bit rewire for Christmas :cry:

That’s how it’s done (software development between dependent technologies), in spite of your assertion that it’s less than useful. It should be and usually is.

And there is no point in comparing it to other companies 64bit rewire implementations since there are no 64bit third party rewire implementations at the moment, the 3 64bit sequencers that have shipped them are not actually shipping 64bit rewire implementations, they are flat thunk bridges, i.e. the transport protocol is the old 32bit version of rewire with a 64bit frontend for the sequencer

You’re right here. Reaper x64’s implementation of rewire is 32 bit, so works only with 32 bit Reason. Confirmed with Reason 6.

the main “Reason” for 64bit is access to more memory… everybody’s making huge libs these days… so we these things to talk to each other (like they used to)… having Reason as a swizz army knife of stuff is essential to many of us. So get that stuff fixed asap Steinberg. It cannot be THAT hard.

Just called the Steinberg helpdesk Rewire 64 bit could take as long as April before it’s ready. :frowning: