Changing project tempo - Sliced audio trouble

So I want to change the whole project’s tempo - a project containing audio, midi, multiple sliced loops, audio parts, etc.

I opened the pool window, selected all audio and set the tempo to project tempo. Then I clicked on Musical mode. Most all files got selected except for the sliced audio which cannot be set to musical mode.

Now, when I play back the project, it plays fine except the sliced stuff is playing unaligned to the project. It looks like the audio events have been moved around, causing overlaps with nearby audio parts.

How do I fix this? What’s the one-shot way to change the whole project’s tempo without any mishaps?

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by the following…
“Most all files got selected except for the sliced audio which cannot be set to musical mode”
But, in any case, what you should do before changing the tempo (in addition to setting the files to “Musical Mode” in the Pool), is to make sure that the audio tracks in the Project window are set to Musical Timebase (in the Inspector, or the tracklist, make sure that the icon shows a “quarter-note” rather than a “clock”).
If that still doesn’t fix the problem (i.e. you should at least now have the slices starting at the correct positions, but is their tempo, once they start, correct?), let’s investigate your original statement, above :wink:.

I meant REX files. And also the stuff you get where if you slice audio within cubase - it has those slices in audio parts?

But, in any case, what you should do > before > changing the tempo (in addition to setting the files to “Musical Mode” in the Pool), is to make sure that the audio tracks in the Project window are set to Musical Timebase (in the Inspector, or the tracklist, make sure that the icon shows a “quarter-note” rather than a “clock”).

Yup, I think that’s the case. By default my audio tracks are all in musical mode. I haven’t changed that.

If that still doesn’t fix the problem (i.e. you should at least now have the slices starting at the correct positions, but is their tempo, once they start, correct?), let’s investigate your original statement, above > :wink:> .

When I see the problematic audio track, the issue is this: the slices are nearby, so when I increase the tempo, they’re brought closer together causing all sorts of overlaps. How do I avoid this?

I suppose this problem will go away if I bounce those parts, but I’d like Cubase to handle everything for me.

OK, so, said a different way, all the slices are still starting at the right place (because the track is in Musical Mode), but the audio in the slices hasn’t sped up (because, apparently, not in Musical Mode), causing them to overrun into the next slice?

So (because I’ll try to recreate that here), could you describe exactly how you are slicing the audio within Cubase, what the audio source is (is it a library loop from MediaBay, etc.?), and/or how the Rex files have been imported.

Here, for example, if I take a clip of “regular” audio, cut it up manually, say, at the beginning of every bar, then spread the slices out, so that there is a gap of one bar between each slice, then speed up Cubase, so long as the original clip is in Musical Mode, and the track is in Musical Timebase, everything plays correctly, and each slice has remained in Musical Mode.Likewise with a loop dragged from MediaBay.
Are you doing this differently? (before we start looking for some corruption somewhere in Cubase)?

Hi keyman_sam - Just to say, that is not possible :wink: . By that I mean a track can only be in Musical Time Base or Linear Time Base, it can’t be in Musical Mode. And by extension, an audio clip/part can be in Musical Mode or not, but can’t be in Musical Time Base.

To warp audio, it has to be in Musical Mode. Sometimes the track it’s on needs to be in Musical Time Base, or sometimes Linear Time Base, depending on what you need.

I really wish they had named them differently to cut down on confusion, but it is what it is. It sounds like you know what you’e doing, with help from the maestro vic_france, but I’m writing this just for other folks who might come across this who might get confused by the terminology. Sorry for being so pedantic, “don’t tase me bro”!