Kit sample .wav files - location, dragging and management

[Ref GA one as supplied with Cubase Elements 7]
I have successfully tweaked bits of a standard GA kit. I’m fussy about snare roll so I have also managed to load some of my own .wav samples of snare from my hard drive to a GrooveAgent Pad via the pool (or an audio track in Cubase) then dragging and dropping. :sunglasses: But…

I have some questions:

1. I have deleted some layers from GA pads by dragging to the trash bin in the “LCD” display. Where do these go and are they retrievable from trash before it is emptied?

2. I would like to copy one lower tier layer from an existing pad (that I wish to remain intact and continue using) onto another pad as layer 1. I cannot find a method to copy without GA either swapping or deleting the source pad. I have tried ctrl,alt or shift when dragging but no joy. Is there a way of over-riding the GA default action?

3. It would be nice to store all my kit sample files together. I have tried to find the .wav files for the included drum kits by searching the sample file names on my laptop. I cannot find them. Where are the GA drum kit .wav files normally stored?

Can anyone please help? Thank you.
X

Q2: My way around it was to copy the source pad to an empty pad in the same kit, then drag the copy to another instance of GA residing on another track. Keeping 2 GA windows (one for each track) is pretty efficient.

The 2nd instance of GA normally contained an empty kit that I would build into an “all star” kit, or a “cattle call” kit to be used for auditioning SDs (say) in the context of an existing part.

Storing/Retrieve Custom Kits

1. R-click on the currently loaded kit name. “Remove Kit” to clear it as a target.
  2. Load pads. Edit names, colors, parameters, etc… (I embed the source file name into my pad name with a 2 letter + 1 number code.)
  3. R-click on kit name to “Save Kit As…” I distinguish my kit names by starting with a lower case letter.
  4. To find it at a later date: R-click on the current kit name, select “Load Kit…”, and set the filter (left pane) to Logical. Now the kit list in the right pane contains your saved kits, just scan down the list to find whatever you called it.

Obviously, it’s good to use distinctive names for custom kits. My kits also have no *s in the rating column, so that speeds up the search.

Colin, thanks for your reply.
Thanks for your suggestion re the 2nd GA track - I’ll give that a try. Was thinking of that route for a jam track with cues etc vs an ultimate track for final draft so that will not further clutter the sceen. Now I know why those pros have another monitor etc!
Regarding the location of samples - I have already done the modifying/saving of bespoke kits but it was the location on my hard drive of the original Steinberg supplied samples (that are used on the original pad layers) that I was after. I just like to be in control and know where everything is or some way down the line I need to move to another PC and stuff’s all over the place! I don’t know if they are given a prefix or whatever on top of the name I see in the “LCD” window.
Thank you. X

You can see the file names in some of the GA libraries. For example, load a Beat Agent kit, then set the right side of the GA pop-up to Edit, Main. File names appear above the wave form display and below the Main/Pitch/Filter/Amp… buttons. Finding these file on your system is a new challenge. (I don’t have that answer.)

Bear in mind that drum sounds in Cubase are produced in different and sometimes incompatible ways. The whole thing could be brought into a unified system if only Steinberg would add MIDI channel assignment to individual drum lines in Beat Designer. I imagine it would be easy to do. The whole issue was explored in my thread:

In my original post, I indicate which kits are sampled, why Acoustic Agent is different (despite being in GA), other sound libraries you’d want to use for percussion that are inaccessible from GA, and how this is awkward. Raino then pointed out that my proposed solution wouldn’t work on MIDI tracks such as these, and I came up with a new proposal - MIDI channel on Beat Designer drums.