initial automation

I am a new cubase pro 9 user, after many years with Pro Tools. How do I write an initial automation? The manual says it will be done automatically when not choosing to work with Virgin Territory. But it does not work for me

Hi,

Enable Automation Write, and touch the fader while playback.

Thank you, Martin, but my question was really: In Pro Tools there is a very useful function called “Write to all enabled”. If you highlight an area and choose this function, Pro Tools will write automation to all parameters being in write mode over tise area. This way I introduce automation, without having to touch every single parameter and play over the area. And here comes my question: Is there a similar function in Cubase?

No there is not a similar function in Cubase (although there is in Nuendo).

In Cubase and Nuendo, you can Fill Loop.

Yes, although I prefer to enable Fill Start and Fill End if I want to quickly write automation points at the beginning of the track because a) you don’t need to worry about setting locator positions and b) this will give you only a single automation point at the very beginning of the track.

Still, neither of these solutions are quite the same as the Nuendo feature I was talking about, which is called something like “Create Initial Parameters”. This will write an automation point for all the parameters on the selected track.

thank you very much both of you. I will try this

I am still confused! The manual says:
“When no automation data exists for a particular parameter, the starting point of an
automation pass is saved as the initial value. When you punch out of the automation pass, it
is this initial value to which the parameter will return.”
This does not work for me. The automation value remains at the position where I release the touch of it. Just as I would expect it to do if I had chosen to work with “Native Territory”.Where have I gone wrong?

Hi,

Now I (maybe) :slight_smile: know, what do you mean. There is different behavior in Cubase and Nuendo. I would say it’s matter of preferences, but I can’t find the settings right now, so maybe, I’m wrong.

In Cubase, when you start to Write automation, and then stop, the last “release” value is kept as the last one. And the automation curve continues with the last “release” value. Not in Nuendo. When you start to write an automation in Nuendo, the “starting point” value is always kept. Once you stop automation writing, Nuendo adds one more automation point with the init value, which is remembered, so the value, where you “touch” the parameter.

Is this what you are referring to?

Is it clear, or should I provide a video?

We are getting nearer! It seems like I have to get used to how cubase works. I still have a hope that there is some hidden preference somewhere that helps me once I´ve found it!
The thing that still confuses me is the text of the manual compared to how it actually works. This makes me wonder if there is a bug in the version of Cubase Pro9 that I have?

Hi,

I read the paragraph like 10-times in the Operation manual. If I can understand it, :slight_smile: thes description matches to the Neundo behaviour, not to Cubase one. So there is an init Value, which is kept, and Nuendo Returns to this Value, once you stop automation Writing. Not Cubase. So I would say, this is a documentation issue, and it’s wrong in the Cubase Operation Manual.

Very good Martin and thank you. It seems like there is a “bug” in the Operation Manual!
I will have to find another way to work with cubase. The reason why I am so interested in automation is that an automated parameter in “Read” is locked, and it is impossible to change it by accident. I am aware now that you can lock a track in cubase in other ways.
Best regards, Nalle

You also have undo in the mixer now, so if you accidentally ‘knock’ a fader or knob then you can undo it. That’s as long as you notice at the time :slight_smile:

Mike.