ADAT to ADAT - 2 sound cards - 2 computers

why bother just use Vienna Ensemble Pro (network based)

So…connecting 2 sound cards via ADAT is ok I’m assuming?

Yes.

Why bother, if you just can use 2 audio interfaces with ADATs?

umm lets see much simpler, far far less expensive (unless you already have the cards)
not limited to 8 tracks
did i mention simpler (no sync requirements)

I use 2 RME digifaces with 2 PCs, connected via 3xADAT. Advantage: I can interconnect any softwares.
I use VEpro5, too. Advantage is: dynamically spread the VST workload within ONE project.

Both habe disadvantages and advantages.

Digital Sync depends on the cards used.

I send SPDIF out of #1 to SPDIF in of #2 and Sync #2 to #1 via SPDIF. The digiface features sync via ADAT, too, I believe… Not sure though…

Only One cubase license in use, so no vst system link for me. Its either MTC or MIDI clock via MIDI, depends on the hosts in use…

For spreading the workload of ONE project, I use VEPro5, cause it has ONE huge advantage: the data is saved in the host project! There’s no need to load one project on one pc and the dedicated project on the other pc. EVERYTHING is managed on ONE pc, the other pc “only” computes, and is controlled via VNC on the master pc…

I use Gbit net. Haven’t touched I/O bandwidth limits, with multiple VNC solutions like Maxivista (use slave PCs physical screen as extended screen of Master PC via network, remote control other PCs screen via VNC) and interconnect midi/audio via VEPro5…

You won’t be able to gain much with VEpro5 with 10/100, I guess.

Linking to pcs via adat for spreading workload really is uncomfortable and unergonomic…

Have you tried the VST System link, this would seem to be the cheapest option, all you need is two computers running a system link supporting application, two ASIO audio cards with digital I/O and a digital cable to connect them.

Simple I think, not that I’ve ever tried it :laughing:

Vstack is x32 only I believe. As is fxteleport.

without investments, just try to use adat linking systems with digital syncing supported by your cards, and a midi cable for syncing hosts with MTC or MIDI clock. You can’t sync Cubase to clock though, so unless you copy tempo maps and sync to MTC you will have trouble with tempo dependent applications, at least. Maintaining multiple projects on multiple systems for ONE logical project lead to other troubles… It’s simply cumbersome…

No

Yes

Yes

Word clock is a pure digital sync clock only signal - no audio.

Both ADAT´s and SPDif´s channel coding, also transmit digital clocking within the audio signal.

VStack is a (2nd) host

Just to add that although word clock is not necessary in this instance, if both your interfaces have it then it would certainly do no harm to use it. If you have a really good A/D with low jitter, then use that as the master.

I use an older computer running Linux (and occasionally XP with the STeem Atari ST emulator) with an E-MU 1010 PCI card synced via ADAT into an RME RayDAT and it works a treat. I make the RME the master in this case as it has the better clock, but the sync happens via ADAT.

Still think System Link would be good for your setup, you have two sound cards with Spdif I/O and two digital cables two computers and two vst hosts then you have everything you need, it’ll take care of all the midi and audio and you don’t need to buy or download any software,

Split is right. System Link is worth your time researching, especially as the “slave” system can be any Cubase version, even the freebies they give out with audio interfaces.

Yes, one can and one does, on a regular basis! Doing so also means you can cross the boundaries of proprietary operating systems and integrate e.g. Linux sound synthesis into Cubase, or pull stuff off ancient hardware MIDI sequencers, transfer archive material from things like Dr. T’s KCS (the Amiga version, just to make it challenging) and all sorts of fun such as some of the the algorithmic composition applications written for the Atari ST back in the day.

Start experimenting now.

You don’t need vstack, VST system link. Use any host on the slave, connect the two machines via midi/audio and off you go with your new external sound canvas :wink:

I bet the First thing you’ll change is get rid of multiple keyboards/mice, then add your second PCs screen to your desktop :wink:

Have fun! :slight_smile:

You can set the master fader on Computer 2 to output across the system link, thus use the mixer on Computer 2 as a sub mixer and bring that into the Mixer on Computer 1 via a stereo channel.

And of course all timing, Audio and MIDI should be sample accurate. I think that all versions of Cubase including and beyond VST 5.1 are system link compatible?

I’d like to know if there’s any VST system link enabled host FREE of charge. I’ve bought enough hosts already :wink:

AI 6 is and I would presume the other OEM versions that are bundled with things are to?

Maybe look for a giveaway with a magazine!

Sell your other adat card and get Vienna Ensemble Pro. It’s SUCH a much better solution (I’ve tried everything for years)

Audio/midi networking is such a cheap, though old school option that still works fantastic, even today. I’ve used it for a few years now. All it takes between 2 computers is ‘one midi cable’ from your main DAW machine, and ‘one audio cable’ back from your slave machine, simple. Initially, it’s a bit of work routing midi from one machine to the other, but once you figure out how the receiving DAW’s midi transformer/filter etc works, you’re good to go. And you can make a template to reuse.

Of course there are other options that work great to, each takes some amount of a learning curve to get working. One never really knows what works best for ‘them’ until they try it. I don’t know about here in the Cubase forums, but I’ve been reading on other forums, that there are still many who use a multiple music computer set-up.

I once asked for a “Pepsi Free” :wink:

You’d THINK Steinberg would somehow allow users to only need one license ‘while using’ VST System Link, just as long it’s across a single VSL network. Maybe your dongle could somehow just ‘know’ another machine is connected. But, there are ‘options’ …as said above, low cost/free System Link capable Cubase versions…maybe that’s why Steinberg abandoned V-Stack.

Though Vienna Ensemble Pro seems to currently be the most popular method of using multiple computers, I still see some people on various forums using System Link.