[SOLVED] Bug (incl. sample): Audio Warp point quantizing

Thank you, Steinberg!

The new hitpoint quantizing thing is a great thing - it just doesn’t work!!! Thank you! You made a good effort so thank you thank you! It’s no use of making it work well, since it doesn’t work at all now. It’s really not - I only feel great to have such an expensive piece of software with so many features that don’t work! It makes me feel good!

So thank you for the new “mess up quantizing to be even worse than without it”-feature! Now I REALLY can make this awful sounding mixings that I always wanted to!

All the other DAW’s probably would work better but their outcome is annoyingly flawless that the song won’t stick out of the crowd. Well, now that I can use Cubase to ass-quantize my audio, I REALLY can give my clients a possibility to stand out!

Thank you!!!

I feel your frustration but emotions do not have impact on Steinberg! :wink:

Honestly, I think that Cubase is already very complex and the more complex it become the more difficult it is to debug it. Maybe this bug occurs only in very special conditions. Otherwise, people would report it more frequently, I suppose.

Anyway, it would be great if we could just send the affected project to Steinberg’s testers and developers. So, please, moderators, is there such a possibility?

Miloslav

So Tommy - can you supply the ‘before’ downmix drum track to SB to look at themselves…? Have you raised a support ticket…? How long is the actual song (just curious, its not like 18 minutes or anything…! Ha!).

Something definitely seems weird about your described scenario…

You say everything ‘looked’ right - but then you say some of the hitpoint detection wasn’t accurate, which you know you can fix; so its the general malaise of the ‘drift’ of the groove that shouldn’t be happening - especially if later on all the hitpoints/warp tabs LOOK good after quantising, against the grid… I mean, thats just not right…

I may get a chance over the weekend to give this a go myself, see what occurs… (as they say in Wales…!)

bob

I think your chances of getting a resolution will increase by 100% if you can share some version of the project out to Steinberg or (more probably) the forum here, even if you have to cut most of the stuff out of it first.

Additionally, it will serve as proof that you’re not batsh!t crazy.

Hey there!! do you have any linked channel in your mixer? If you do, unlink the channels and quantize again. Let me know!

Hi!
Can you send us the project? It’s entirely possible that a potential issue have been overlooked… that happens since software is written and the Bugs are around. Sure, I know this doesn’t help you right now in the situation, just for the record.

If we can reproduce this issue, we aim to fix it in the next maintenance update.

Best regards,
Helge

Do we say that in Wales ? Not sure i’ve used it :laughing:

Hi, Helge! Thank GOD !! :slight_smile:

I will most definitely send you the complete project with all the audio files etc. etc. Well not everything has to be sent of course but you know what? I’ll put the files on my web server and share the links. Actually I can quickly make a small web page with all the pictures and linked files etc. Whatever has to be done to make Cubase even better! I will do it.

Regardless of my earlier frustrated mails I do want to help since I love Cubase. Too bad that some features don’t work properly. Cannot name anything else thou, since this is the only issue that doesn’t work.

AND I want to emphasize one thing::: When the playback is stopped AND the playback is continued from that very same spot where STOP was pressed, then the drums are perfectly in place - but only for awhile. It seems like some kind of an offset is accumulating over time. It really seems that way. Honestly I can say that I have tried everything. But isn’t the fact that audio warping is fine after restarting the playback some kind of an indication of a bug? I think it is.

So stay tuned my dear friends. I’ll put up all the files next thing tomorrow morning. Now I’m beat and off to bed…

-Tommy

Seems you’ve got a good point there.

…and I thought you were just crazy. Shows what I know.

Curious additionally, so then if you set your loop start somewhere in the middle of the project and render offline, it will lag some time after the loop start in the exported render like it does if you had started there on playback. (?)

Yes, I will demonstrate all that. I’ll start doing a web page for that right away.

And thanks for not thinking I’m crazy anymore :smiley:

Check out this web page of mine: http://pc-professor.fi/Cubase6/warp/warp-quantizing-bug.html

It will demontrate you all from scratch how the quantizing fails.

Also check this thread: [SOLVED] --> BUG - Warp Quantizing - SEE THIS WEBSITE <-- - Cubase - Steinberg Forums !!!

I also posted all the info to Helge Vogt so this issue is under investigation now. If someone missed it, Helge himself posted on this topic.

I did a test yesterday with 8 tracks of drums using the multitrack quantizing method that’s described in the manual and it worked without a hitch. I don’t quantize much and am far from an expert on hitpoints so I’m a little fuzzy on the differences between you method and the method I used which was…

Analyze the kik snare and overheads, group all the tracks, click the quantize window and cut, quantize and crossfade the tracks.

Tried your project and could reproduce with “élastique pro ->time” algorithm, however switching to “standard->drums” solved the issue.
Also, it’s not only starting and stopping playback that puts the drums back in correct timing for me, opening the audio editor or toggeling between musical and linear time base while playing works.

/A

Yes, I know it works when changing on some attribute - I just didn’t mention it on the page. It was its own job to compile the actual page so that it would be clear to everyone what I’m talking about :slight_smile:

But - changing the algorithm to STANDARD - DRUMS worked? WOW! But STILL - shouldn’t it work also with Elastique since isn’t Elastique the “main” algorithm to use with? And if it doesn’t work with Elastique, then why not? I would think that audio is audio regardless of the algorithm used.

Anyway it seems to me like some kind of a bug. I mean what is the use of Elastique algorithm if it fails to work properly under all conditions? Namely I’m a bit afraid that the quantized drums using STANDARD / DRUMS algorithm might sound bad but I’m not sure… I’ve got to try it right away.

Helge, what do you think?

Anyway, thanks for this and I’ll return here if I fail to do it properly.

Of course this should work with élastique, and there is obviously a bug specific to that algorithm, especially since the quantizing is visually correct.

But don’t be afraid to use the standard algorithms just because they are named like that, the “standard-drums” sounds miles better than the “élastique-time” that is pre-set on the audio I received from you for instance.

edit I suggest that you remove [SOLVED] from the title and add “… using élastique” for clarification.

/A

I agree with TwinOak: this issue is not solved! Of course, the timing of the élastique algorithms should not drift in time. I suspected that the problem was related to the algorithm used since I experienced the same problem with “élastique pro - pitch” while correcting some bass guitar recordings.

Miloslav

Hello, Tommy,

have Steinberg people responded to your detailed bug report? Were they able to reproduce it? Now when I’m reading the “Version History” document for the latest version (6.5.1), I suspect that your (and mine, too!) problem might be related to the following known issue - although it is marked as “Mac only”:

28336 [AudioWarp] * If playback runs in
the same cycle loop for several
minutes an offset may occur with
events warped with élastique Pro
after a while (Mac OS X only).

Namely the officially suggested solutions attracted my attention:

Stop then Start playback again or
consider bouncing the audio files.

As we pointed out, only the first solution (Stop & Start again) really works - bouncing does not! So, I hope this problem gets sorted out soon!

Best regards

Miloslav

Hello,

I just wanted to ask if this still acknowledged as a bug. It still exists in Cubase 7.06.