Midi timing suggestion on recorded VST instruments.

Ed,

I’m not disagreeing with you … but let’s just clarify that there are two types of midi timing problems that overlap.

One is the timing problem related to latency in which all the notes are delayed by the amount of the latency … but other than that, are exactly as played. Shift the track and all is well. I think this is the issue the OP is addressing: why cannot this shifting be done more or less automatically if Cubase is already calculating the PDC?

The other midi timing problem, which you introduce here with the link, is inconsistency of how the notes are recording or drifting note positions within the recorded part. This is a much more serious and painful problem.

This second problem is further complicated by what can be a perceived note misalignment due to the serial nature of midi data transmission … all note data cannot be both sent serially, or one discrete midi message at a time, and also arrive at the sound module in the same instant. Which is what happens when playing chords (polyphony). Cubase addressed this issue with its MIDEX line of midi patch bays, unfortunately no longer produced, and Linear Time Base technology.

So, for the second problem, we have two issues, forgetting latency induced delay: does the sequencer accurately record the midi input and does the sequencer accurately play back the midi data.

Presumably, someone could do the equivalent of a ‘null test’ by sending midi from a hardware sequencer routed through a midi splitter and then simultaneously recorded into Cubase and another purportedly better functioning DAW. Then the original midi file and the two recorded midi files could all be placed side by side in a sequencer and examined for differences. This would resolve the question of timing inaccuracies in recording.

Similarly, a standard file midi file could be loaded into Cubase and recorded into another DAW, and the same file could be rcorded from a 3rd DAW into the one used with Cubase. The files could then again be examined.

I have never taken the time to do all this because it has never been that critical to my work.

But the possibility of demonstrating the second error alleged in Cubase remains, as I’ve outlined above.

Como