Midi timing suggestion on recorded VST instruments.

Hi

I agree with the OP on this. Cubase should be able to compensate.

The argument raging here is I believe due to a few misconceptions.

Firstly, playing through Cubase is obviously affected by latency.
Secondly, exsisting midi parts are subject to PDC by Cubase. Cubase does trigger notes early ONCE THEY ARE IN PARTS to compensate for known variables (overal system latency plus any user defined latency in the external instrument plugin interface).
Thirdly, and crucially, a musically aware user will naturally compensate WHEN PLAYING IN for the delay of the system. This explains the incorrect early midi data. Be clear here - the user is naturally playing ahead of the beat. The human brain is smart.
Put these facts together and you have a situation where Cubase is behaving on the (erroneous) assumption that the recorded MIDI is positioned where the user wanted it. It’s not. It’s early, by a time factor that involves the latency of the system at the time the MIDI recording was done. Add to this that Cubase is also playing these DATA earlier than displayed on key edit, as it must compensate for the system delay on playback.

The OP is absolutely correct. We need Cubase to (perhaps optionally) recognise that the “talent” is playing early by an easily calculable amount of time.

I am plagued by this every day of my life (on Nuendo actually but I’ve tested Cubase too).

Turning off PDC during record slightly helps, as the “talent” is now compensating by a smaller amount.

The situation affects all flavours of MIDI be they plugins or external instruments. The mileage may vary between the two owing to the different sums of latency in each case.

Clear now?

Thanks.

BB