How to run VST plugins?

This is probably the stupidest and most elementary question you’ll find on this message board, but I need help with running plugins in cubase le5. Not how to USE plugins, but how to RUN plugins like halion and the other pre-loaded plugins. Where in the software do I go to find and open them? Is it under a specific menu, tab or screen? Thanks.

An intersellar blast… I sincerely hope that you are just trying to make friends by pulling our chain.

But… BOOM… supernova… if not, I’d suggest you allocate a few hours and read the Cubase “Operation Manual”.

It’s not a stupid question you are asking, you are asking for someone to teach you the basics of a DAW.
Check youtube, maybe there are some there.

I am not pulling anyone’s chain. I prefaced my opening post by saying that my question was probably going to come off stupid and looking like a joke. Again, I am not asking anyone to teach me HOW to use a plugin or DAW. I am trying to figure out how to RUN plugins in cubase le5. It’s a simple question and probably had a simple answer but it looks like I’m too dumb to figure it out. I keep reading about accessing plugins through the “VST Instruments” option in the “Devices” menu, but I do not have “VST Instruments” listed anywhere. Instead I just have “Plugin Information”, “VST Connections”, “VST Performance”, etc. I’m try to figure out if I’m missing a step somewhere or overlooking something. Any help is appreciated.

“Add Instrument Track …”

Where can I find that option at? Thx.

Ok I located that option. However, the only instrument that is listed is Halion. I can see approximately 30 different plugins listed in my “Plugin Information → VST Plugins tab”, including Halion. Why aren’t the other 29 plugins listed when I try to add an instrument track?

Some plugins are instruments.
Some are effects added in the “inserts” of the channel.

IF you cant follow the manual, check You Tube. Most elements, even the most basic, are covered there in one way or another. Even if there not specifically aimed at Le5, you’ll find them relevant and helpful.

Any VST or plug-in is swimply a file that of the type: *****.dll. So, whenever you download a new plug-in, you must put it in the VST plug-in folder of you DAW (Cubase, Audition, Reaper, …whayever). It is that simple. I hope this advise is helpful.

What OS are you running?
On a PC, you access VST Instrument Rack by pressing F12.
This will bring up instruments only, such as HALion and synths.

Effects like compressors and delays are accessed by clicking on an insert to an audio channel, group track or effect track.
I think - and do not take this the wrong way - that you really need to spend some serious time with the manual.
I could wear out my fingers typing, and still not cover everything you need to know

I think the Instrument rack is F11 on the PC. F12 is the performance meter. OP should take a few and read the manual . Especially the differences between Midi and Instrument tracks as I think the latter is way less flexible though easier to use. Also consider buying the Tutorial mentioned in the main forum

I know that this is an older thread…but I couldn’t help but add a bit more… Cubase5LE …DOES NOT have the VST instrument option in the devices menu. Neither does Cubase6 LE…Just a suggestion…but it’s always healthy to realize, that just because someone is new to the scene…it doesn’t always mean that they are the ones that need to do the searching around the forum…assuming they haven’t read the pdf…etc. And if you don’t know the difference between using a VST and getting a VST application to run in your DAW, then maybe you should think twice before giving a beginner that DOES know the difference, your advice. No harm intended by my comments here…I just can’t help but remember when I was learning and posting on forums. Many times coming up empty because somebody shut me down, assuming I hadn’t done the leg work. BTW…I am now a professional audio engineer and there is never a day at the studio that I am not grateful for those in the forums that were kind enough to understand what it was like to be in the overwhelming position of a novice.

I was a noob once too, a LONG long long time ago, when there were no proper “forums” and not much more than the manual that came with the software. It was then properly read and used for reference if needed. This is part of the reason that some can answer questions in this forum. The absence of such self actions is also partly the reason that too many cannot resolve their own situations.

There is a reason why the electronic acronym RTFM and its various shapes have come to exist.

People (not all, but all too many) anymore seem to ask before they even look at the operation manual. And some almost lean towards demanding a resolution. That is plain ridiculous, lazy and extremely rude to fellow persons, IMO.

I don’t think anyone in the forum mind helping those who want to help themselves.

While I agree that many people are looking for shortcuts, I have to disagree that you can assume this is the case or that they haven’t tried to resolve the issue by reading the manual first.

I just purchased Cubase 7 and have been struggling to setup and run the Toontracks EZDrummer VST instrument plugin with very little success. I reviewed the manual to see what I was doing wrong. Setting it up In Cubase Studio 4 ( my previous version) was a breeze - almost automatic.

I studied programming for a year back in 2000 and I learned there are 2 types of people -
Type 1 who have a sense of how these things work after reading even an incomplete or confusing manual (such as the one I got with Cubase 7) and through intuition or whatever can resolve these issues rather quickly. These are technical types.
And Type 2 (myself included) who really need a step by step walk through or to be shown by someone who gets it. My intuition doesn’t work that way and and I find myself reading and rereading the manual to find the missing tidbit that will resolve some technical issue often not found in the manual at all. More the artistic type I think.

I suggest that if you don’t want to help those of us who struggle, you shouldn’t respond at all instead of making the problem worse or laying a guilt trip on them. “Try harder” is not a solution.

Well said “spacecadetrg”!!!
I couldnt have put it better myself!!