Can I change the default db range on the channel EQ editor?

Basically my point is, sometimes u just wanna make a +/-2db change, and on a 48db scale…well, thats like playing surgeon with Mickey Mouse gloves on :cry:

I have no idea what you mean. Maybe post a screenshot.

Hold Shift to put each control in fine mode.

Hi, It’s not possible to adjust the display like Fabfilter.
and the Shelf 1 vs Shelf 2 can be set in the prefs. Don’t remember at the moment exactly where, but yes. It’s a tick box that lets you load shelf 1 when new eq is loaded.

Are you referring to changing the scale of the EQ in Edit Channel Settings, JLiRD808?

I.e. zooming the Equalizers area in towards an EQ range so that the top/bottom of the display show say, +6/-6, instead of the default +24/-24? This way, the max/min are scaled based on the zoom level and finer adjustments are easier to accomplish. Also, the EQ engine doesn’t have to be altered in any way, since it is simply the area that restrict the mouse movement within the visible (zoomed or not) range.

^ Thats exactly what I’m talking about! Zooming the scale I guess…sorry if I was unclear. Lol u didnt tell me if it was possible though :smiley:

THANKS!!

And holding Shift just allows me to raise/lower the Q…

Holding shift to fine adjust works only in the numerical value field, not in the EQ display.

No, if you hold shift while dragging in the window, it will change in smaller increments. Also, you can use modifiers to choose what value you are changing.

For me (on a PC), holding down:
Shift - changes Q
Control - Allows only vertical movement
Alt - Allows only horizontal movement

I do, however, slightly remember seeing somewhere where u can change that. Still, holding down Shift to make small changes seems a bit odd, does it slow down ur mouse speed lol??

Yes, that´s how it has been at least until V6 and according to the C6 manual it is still that way. But I´m sure JMCecil will tell us how it works…

Well, it makes smaller value increments than normal in relation to the same mouse movement. You can simply try it. ( But only works in the slider area of the EQ window (- or generally with any fader), not in the EQ graph - at least until JMCecil tells us how).

I don’t know if that is possible, but considering the input in the thread, I would say that it is not. But I do agree that it would be nice if you could, per channel if possible! :slight_smile:

Take a look at EQuality DMG Audio : Products : EQuality (click on the product image to zoom in), to the right of the display, there is range slider… that would be awesome. In cubase, the slider at full range it would be +/- 24 dB (behave just like it currently does) and when lowered, it would be scaled accordingly.

Yeah DMG EQuality is great I hear…a lot of ppl’s fav EQ along with Sonalksis & the FabFilter. I love the huge display of Fabfilter and the cool shelves in Sonalksis. FabFilter’s db span will automatically change as u start drawing bigger cuts/boosts. I think it starts off around +/-6db and, as u drag a filter up/down, it will expand…super cool. If u reduce the boosts/cuts I’m assuming the db range shrinks as well. I like what ur saying about DMG EQuality’s slider bar though…maybe I’ll give the demo a shot.

Thanks!

Then something is wrong with the way you have your PC setup.

In Cubase, holding down shift will move (horizontal) sliders in smaller increments, it will move (vertical) faders in smaller increments, and it will rotate knobs in smaller increments, both clockwise and counter. Been this way in v2, v3, v4, v5. If this is not what you are seeing, you have PC issues.

It’s not odd; that is the way it’s supposed to work.

The OP is talking about the EQ graph, not sliders, and not knobs, but the graphical representation, where you can drag the points.

Oh.

:neutral_face:

Well, that is not what he said. :unamused:

To avoid any future misinterpretation, yes I am referring to the graphical EQ display. It would be nice to “narrow down” the EQ db range to make finer tuned edits. Check out some of the aforementioned 3rd party EQ’s and u will see/know what we’re talking about. Again, making 2-3db edits on a 48db scale is hard…like hitting a fastball with a golf club LOL

erm… I think it is better to trust your ears instead any graphics (!)

For more accurate finetunings you can press ALT to adjust directly on plugin-knobs - then an additional fader appears.
I use this great feature very often in cubase.

I agree that using the knobs/sliders is the only current solution as well as a good way to force you to mix with your ears rather than eyes. That has actually happened naturally for me, and I almost never use the graphical display anymore when setting the eq, in part due to having an external controller with an eq-section.

But, I do still think that a fine tune mouse mode for the graphical section would be a good feature, since the modifier keys are already in use one solution would be to use the right mouse button for it.

/A