HSO status

Please add my vote for a new HSO 2, the “perfect companion for VST Expression” if you will.

My unexpected impression of the 16 bit trial version of HSO was that it sounded better than the 24 bit samples in MOTU MSI. 16 HSO had more depth and resonance than 24 bit MSI.

24-bit sampled HSO-2 should offer more dynamic range than HSO-2 16-bit samples, it’s just a simple fact.

Most high-end orch. Sample libraries are sampled at 24-bit resolution these days, hopefully HSO-2 will be offered in 24-bit, if they want to also offer it in 16-bit as an option, that would be fine.

I wonder how long it will take to develop HSO-2 ?

A 24 bit HSO 2 is a given.

Generally speaking I could do without a 16 bit version. But I think they’re useful when constructing mock ups on a minimal set up: lap top without any external drives.

I have GPO which has a very small foot print and VST Expression Maps. Works great for sketching out ideas. It’s tempting to pay $99 for the 16 bit version of HSO for using expression maps, but I don’t then want to pay full price for a full version of HSO 2. The pricing here is a bit of dilemma. Word of an discount upgrade path would be encouraging.

Pricing for full version HALion Sonic from SE, and the full version of H4 from HS seemed reasonable.

The question is would they build HSO 2 from scratch? Or add to the existing library with and added GUI face lift? :mrgreen:

Hello!

It’s my first visit back to the forums for three years, and I’m so glad I came here - nice to know other people are feeling the same pain I’m feeling with no longer having access to HSO!

I’ve had HSO for a three or four years, and it absolutely rocks. I own a few sample libraries, and HSO is by far the best that I have.

BUT! I recently upgraded to a new Mac running OSX Lion and upgraded to Cubase 6.5, and I am utterly devastated that I can no longer use the 24bit HSO library - I have all those lovely .hsb files sitting on my hard drive, and am no longer able to use them.

This week with some perseverance I’ve been able to get HSO working as a VST plug-in in Cubase 6.5 at 64bit in OSX Lion, but it’s prone to crashing, and not something I would recommend trying.

Does anyone know if HALion Sonic or HALion 4 open .hsb files? If so, I may be able to access the library through one of those, and I would happily purchase whatever it takes to be able to get access to this library again. Orchestral scores are one of the main styles I work with, and I am at a loss as to whether to jump ship to an alternative sample library, or downgrade my DAW.

&y

You can not only load, but also edit HSO content within HALion 4, assuming of course you have a license for HSO.

Mr S, this is music to my ears. And yes, I sure do have a license.

Do you know if HALion Sonic will also load HSO content?

That I don’t know I’m afraid, but just to clarify, I was referring to the “updated” HSO 16-bit content that comes on the Cubase 6 DVD set. You can also open the older .hsb files in HALion 4 but not the presets, at least I haven’t found any easy way (or need) to do so.

Thanks again, MrS.

I’m definitely keen to use the 17.8GB, 24bit HSO library over the 6.6GB, 16bit HSO VST sound set.

And I don’t really need to edit, just to load, and playback as the library was originally intended.

But you’ve given me some hope, and I think it’s time to try the HALion Sonic and 4 demos, see if I can get the sounds loading, then make a decision from there, so a huge thanks again for your help.

&y

Hope we see HSO-II by 3rd Quarter of 2012 , With VST3 support, it will be a great library for Orchestral Music Production.

Come on Steinberg, let’s get it out of the box. :mrgreen:

Summer NAMM 2012 starts on July 12th !

Any hope Steinberg will announce HSO-2 at Summer NAMM 2012 ?

We shall know pretty soon.

It’s already available with VST3 and VST Expression in the form of the HSSE version … the only difference is that the samples are 16-bit and not 24-bit. I really think you’re lusting after something that will bring very little practical benefit. If there’s an updated version that offers new and improved content, well then, maybe …

I know it currently has VST3 and VST Expression support, but I’m referring to NEW and considerably improved content.

More articulations, and newer, better recorded samples, …etc. in HSO-2

Hi,

I wonder if Steinberg is currently working on developing HSO-2 ?

So far all we can do is wait.

Not too sure Steinberg want to compete in the market for top-end orchestral sample content; after all, there are plenty of players in that area at the moment and to be honest, HSO as it is has plenty of character and the quality is very good … I don’t know if a viola gets any better if it gets sampled more often? Sure, depending on the task, there are other libraries out there that might be better, but I’m not sure whether there’s any great benefit to be gained by reworking HSO. BTW, have you tried rendering some HSO solo lines to audio, and then playing around with them in VariAudio? :sunglasses:

Hi MrSoundman,

I did not purchase HSO, and did not try any demo version, but would love to see HSO-2 released by Steinberg. (Newer, better source material, and more content). I think something like HSO-2 can compete with some of todays orchestral libraries, if done right.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

I wonder if we will see HSO-2 this year ?

We are closing in on 2013, and so far no HSO-2 :cry:

I wonder if we will see it soon ? or … never ?

It’s still fairly safe to bounce midi from a current project, import the midi into a new project, route it to HSO, bounce the audio back into “current” project. It’s safer to do it one or two channels at a time. Whenever you need to adjust lines, adjust the midi, throw it back into that HSO project and rebounce when needed.

Feels pretty safe, and I can still get all the sweet HSO goodness without forcing it to work bridge too much. Funny, the instruments need to be “dirtied” back down, they are that pristine.

At least it’s ok while I’m still on C5 on OS 10.68.

Hi,

It would be nice to hear from Steinberg if we will see HSO-2 released in 2013 ?

(I hope the answer is … YES) :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Would love to see HSO*2 announced during Winter NAMM 2013 !

Will it happen ? We will soon know, since WInter NAMM 2013 begins on Jan. 21st.

I’m also hoping to see some new updates, and possibly new VST instruments, and maybe some NEW Sample Libraries for Halion 4.

Cheers,
Muziksculp