[BUG] Recording Midi at ANY latency on ANY system (sync)

We’ve all been hearing this discussion for years, so today I thought I would test it out on my system.

I did as the OP beerbong suggested - mic’ed up a MIDI keyboard and recorded both the MIDI and audio, whilst (trying to) keep in time with the Cubase metronome.

i did NOT find that the MIDI recorded early. On the contrary, compared with the audio recording of the key being struck, it recorded some 0.01 second later. This was entirely consistent, whatever the audio buffer (latency setting) I used (64 samples to 2048 samples).

I presume the reason for the the MIDI note being late is the latency of my MIDI keyboard (I used an Oxygen 25, USB’d into the computer).

I have to say I was expecting to find the note to be early, because when I record MIDI along with audio I am usually well ahead of the beat (so is everyone else I record). I assume this is because musicians compensate for the delay inherent in all MIDI systems (even MIDI keyboards using internal sounds, not just VSTis) by playing early.

This has been discussed many times over the years - it seems some systems may produce an inaccurate recording of MIDI data, but mine doesn’t seem to. Isn’t that why Steinberg have an ‘Adjust for Latency’ setting? (Devices>Device Setup>VST audio system’) BTW I have this box checked, but set to 0 samples. It seems to make no difference to this test if I uncheck the box.

I don’t understand Tommok’s statements above (my underline) surely if you have to move the MIDI forward, it’s been recorded late, not early? Or do you mean forward as in the direction of the timeline (ie later in time - to the right)?

Talk of quantising, of course, misses the point completely.