Multiport MIDI interface for Windows 7

Thanks MrSoundman, actually I already have an EMU XMIDI 1X1.

Anyway, for anyone interested here you are my findings so far:

• M-Audio MidiSport 4x4 (x2): both Multiclient and long SysEx capable driver available:
    M-Audio
    I’ve no idea about reliability, speed and jitter though;

• Roland UM3G (x3): unfortunately, no good news. About multiclient ability, no definitive answer, but the driver “UM-3G Driver Ver.1.0.0 for Windows® 7 32-bit Edition” Readme file says:
    Cannot select/use the UM-3G device" … "Could the UM-3G be in use by other software?
    Exit all applications that are using the UM-3G, and disconnect/reconnect the USB cable of the UM-3G.
    If this does not solve the problem, use the procedure described in “To reinstall” to reinstall the driver.

Means no Multiclient capable to me… I also have a Fantom X; I’ve installed USB/MIDI Win 7 driver for the Fantom, and I’ve found out they aren’t Multiclient. I suspect the UM-3G Win 7 drivers are based on the same code, so…
    Long SysEx: it seems there are serious problems here; see Cakewalk Audio & MIDI Interfaces Forum here: Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging | Cakewalk Forums

• MOTU MIDI Express 128 (x1): according to Bernard Focquet they are SysEx capable, but I’ve found nothing anywhere about multiclient capability or about their speed and jitter.

• EMU XMIDI 1x1 (x1) + XMIDI 2x2 (x2 or x3): so far they seem the best option. Since I already have a XMIDI 1x1, I’ve tried the Win 7 driver (on Win 7 Enterprise). I confirm they are both multiclient and long SysEx capable. Unfortunately, I can’t try MIDI test: the XMIDI 1x1 has male In/Out MIDI plugs; since I have no female/female MIDI cable available, I can’t connect the Out port with the In port to do the test. I could connect for example the XMIDI out to the Fantom MIDI in and the XMIDI In to the Fantom Thru, but I don’t know if that could screw the test.

Anyway, maybe I’ll buy 3 XMIDI 2x2, plus my XMIDI 1x1 then I’ll have the 7 In/out I need. I hope my PC has enough power for that, and that I won’t find inexpected problems.

Bye for now…

Paolo