Multiport MIDI interface for Windows 7

Yes.

Cheers,
Bernard

The E-MU Xmidi 2x2 is one device that is class-compliant, but if you load the Windows drivers it gets a proper “name” and becomes multi-client. It also performs well on large SysEx transfers (tested with MIDITest) but of course it only has 2 ports; I have however used two devices together to get a total of 4 ports, but I don’t know how many more can be used simultaneously.

Still considering a MOTU but I don’t like supporting manufacturers who refuse to develop Linux drivers or even supply enough information for the community to develop our own (hence class-compliancy is important to me).

Thanks MrSoundman, actually I already have an EMU XMIDI 1X1.

Anyway, for anyone interested here you are my findings so far:

• M-Audio MidiSport 4x4 (x2): both Multiclient and long SysEx capable driver available:
    M-Audio
    I’ve no idea about reliability, speed and jitter though;

• Roland UM3G (x3): unfortunately, no good news. About multiclient ability, no definitive answer, but the driver “UM-3G Driver Ver.1.0.0 for Windows® 7 32-bit Edition” Readme file says:
    Cannot select/use the UM-3G device" … "Could the UM-3G be in use by other software?
    Exit all applications that are using the UM-3G, and disconnect/reconnect the USB cable of the UM-3G.
    If this does not solve the problem, use the procedure described in “To reinstall” to reinstall the driver.

Means no Multiclient capable to me… I also have a Fantom X; I’ve installed USB/MIDI Win 7 driver for the Fantom, and I’ve found out they aren’t Multiclient. I suspect the UM-3G Win 7 drivers are based on the same code, so…
    Long SysEx: it seems there are serious problems here; see Cakewalk Audio & MIDI Interfaces Forum here: Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging | Cakewalk Forums

• MOTU MIDI Express 128 (x1): according to Bernard Focquet they are SysEx capable, but I’ve found nothing anywhere about multiclient capability or about their speed and jitter.

• EMU XMIDI 1x1 (x1) + XMIDI 2x2 (x2 or x3): so far they seem the best option. Since I already have a XMIDI 1x1, I’ve tried the Win 7 driver (on Win 7 Enterprise). I confirm they are both multiclient and long SysEx capable. Unfortunately, I can’t try MIDI test: the XMIDI 1x1 has male In/Out MIDI plugs; since I have no female/female MIDI cable available, I can’t connect the Out port with the In port to do the test. I could connect for example the XMIDI out to the Fantom MIDI in and the XMIDI In to the Fantom Thru, but I don’t know if that could screw the test.

Anyway, maybe I’ll buy 3 XMIDI 2x2, plus my XMIDI 1x1 then I’ll have the 7 In/out I need. I hope my PC has enough power for that, and that I won’t find inexpected problems.

Bye for now…

Paolo

Useful research Paolo, thanks!

I have a MOTU 828MkII and the MIDI drivers for that are multi-client, have no SysEx issues and are low in jitter according to MIDITest, so I’d be optimistic about the Express 128.

That will work perfectly and will introduce no jitter or delay as they are electrically directly connected, apart from optocoupler isolation at the input.

That will use up 4 USB ports, but there will be no power issues as each USB port can supply up to 500mA, which is more than enough for each of the EMUs. The cost of 3x 2x2’s will be very close to the Express 128, though …

Thanks again MrSoundman, very appreciated and informative. About your MOTU 828 MKII, you mean on Win 7 of course, isn’t it? So I’ll have to reconsider MOTU…

Paolo

Yes, Windows 7x64, but has also been used on XP … MOTU appear to have the same driver “package” for all. I just have a little bit of a thing about MOTU … their Windows support was flaky up to a few years ago, favouring Mac, but most of all they simply refuse to consider supporting Linux (but then again, neither do Steinberg!). The MOTU Express XT is even more useful if you want to edit hardware synths because of the patchbay functionality, and I think in the meantime may be unique on the market for that reason. Maybe I’ll grab one before MIDI is “obsoleted” entirely …

(By the way, there are many MOTU Express XT’s being offered second-hand, but almost all of them are the older parallel-port version, so if you’re in the market be sure you’re getting the USB version!)

Hi MrSoundman, unfortunately, I’ve just received this e-mail from MOTU:

Paolo,
Thank you for your interest.
The Express XT, MTP AV, and micro Express are currently out of production. You will not be able to find a new unit anywhere.
Currently in stock interfaces:
Fastlane
micro Lite
Express 128
I look forward to answering all your technical questions.
If I can be of further service, please let me know.

Damn, that was the one really closest to the amt8!

Paolo

Just another consideration: no more 8 port MIDI interfaces/patchbay combos available on the market! :imp: :imp: :imp: Maybe that means something? :arrow_right: :question:

Paolo

Thanks for that piece of research, Paolo – I find it amazing (and sad) that almost nobody on the planet makes a decent 8x8 MIDI patchbay any more!

its very sad , midex is out the window and if i can’t find a replacement i think i’ll follow it ! :cry:

regards
john

Actually, 3 EMU 2x2 will cost me € 147,00 in total; € 254,00 for a MIDI Express 128 instead …

Anyway, I’m waiting for my Cubase 6 arriving probably next Monday, then I’ll try it on WinXp, if it performs well then I’m probably going to stay with my trustable amt8 for another while.

Paolo

c6 runs very stable on xp more stable than c5 , of course there are the minor bugs haven’t all .0 got them but no issues after 4 days on this system which has saved loads on midi interfaces at the mo !

regard
john

Thanks Filterfreak.

BTW, in the meantime, I’ve already installed .net framework 3.5 sp 1 :ugeek:

Paolo

hi paolo

im sure you will have as many issues as iv’e had (NoN) ,its just the case of installing manually as the autorun does not run but from then on its pain free !!
best of luck
john

Hi all,
some good news: I’ve been actually able to install my Emagic amt8 (8 port Midi interface) on Windows 7 32 bit.
This is just the serial (COM) port driver, not the USB one though. Maybe the same method can also work with USB, but since I won’t use it I didn’t even try.

The full history:
main problem was that the old 2.27 WinXP driver doesn’t have a setup file, so you can’t use Win 7 XP compatibility mode (the one you activate right-clicking on the .exe file → Compatibility Tab).
You just have the driver files (.sys, .dll) and an .inf (text) file containing the instructions for the OS to install the driver. I’ve Tried to install the driver using the .inf file (using the option named something like “install legacy hardware”), but that gave me error messages.
So I’ve analyzed the .inf file and compared it to the System registry of a WinXP OS having the amt8 driver installed.

Then, I’ve copied the relevant registry keys from the XP registry, and pasted them to the Win7 registry.

So far it seems to work well, only little problem is I don’t see the Settings Tab on the driver Properties from the Device Manager. Anyway, I can easily change those settings directly in the registry… anyone has a clue why I can’t see the settings in the driver properties?
Thanks

Paolo

Registry permissions? Right-click the object in RegEdit and select Permissions … perhaps add the Users group and give it full access?

Tried it: no luck unfortunately. Thank you anyway!

Maybe I didn’t explain myself correctly. Here you are some attachments that explain the situation:

amt8 in Win 7

amt8 in Win XP
amt8_WinXP.jpg
amt in Win XP Settings Tab
amt8_WinXP_2.jpg
Paolo

Impressive Paulo! Thanks for finding this. Is there a chance that this could work in Windows 64 bit, or are the USB drivers unusable there? Thanks.

I’m not an expert at all, but as far as I understand it, 32 bit drivers never work with 64 bit OSs. Sorry.

Paolo

Don’t feel bad: it’s happily working on my Mac. I’ve got a great DIY GM5-based MIDI interface now on the PC. I was just curious. Thanks for the followup.