problems with mono playback of vst plug in instead of stereo

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software

problems with mono playback of vst plug in instead of stereo

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi All,

I'm having a kind of unusual problem here - I'm working on midi tracks created in sibelius using a string library in Kontakt. When I imported the midi file in cubase and inserted a kontakt instrument with a string section into them, I am not getting playback through both of my headphones. If I then go into the channel in cubase, and click on the channel strip where you adjust the panning just above the volume slider, and move the panning line a little to the left or right, and then put it back into the middle again, when I hit playback, the strings then are heard through both of my headphones. I was getting tracks ready to give to the sound engineer and when I gave them to him, and told him about the problem, he checked the audio track I had exported, and I saw that in examining it, there was only on audio track not two as there is in a stereo wave file.

I don't know why this is happening. As I discovered in playing back the string library this morning,there was a problem, just before I exported the tracks, I would play with the panning settings in the channel strip, to kind of set it up for stereo playback - I don't know why this works, but it does, but then, when I exported the track as an audio file - it came out still as a mono sounding track. I did an experiment where I again wiggled the panning strip around a little before setting it back to the neutral position, then exported the track in real time instead, and it came out fine. I just repeated the last experiment later, and with the export in real time happening this time, I did not get a stereo sound in the playback of the wave file this time. I then tried again with the export not in real time

I tried using a string section from my Vienna Instruments and I don't get the same problem at all, either using the string playback of the midi file through Vienna Ensemble, or just a single Vienna Instrument. These samples all playback stereo.
I'm not sure what is causing this to happen. Has anyone else come across the same or a similar problem before?

thanks if anyone has something to share possibly about a cause or a solution to this.

best,

Steve.

Re: problems with mono playback of vst plug in instead of stereo

Postby Suprawill1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:18 pm

Try creating another instance of Kontact on another track and see if that corrects the problem. If not, I would reinstall Kontact. If you still have the problem, I would check on the compatibility of Kontact on your system.
Home built Antec tower - Gigabyte EP45-UD3R - Intel Q9550@3.4G - Gemini cooler - Corsair CMPSU-550VX - 8G Crucial Ballistix - Dual monitor - Cubase Studio 5 - Vista Business 64 - Tascam FW-1082 mixer/card/controller/interface - Melodyne - Kore - Kontact - Halion Sonic - HSO - Addictive Drums - Morphology Etc Etc
Suprawill1

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi Suprawill1,

thank you kindly for your reply. I was able to discover that somehow, there was a panning control message that was in the midi file for that particular channel, and I was able to delete that midi message, and the file went back to playing in stereo.

Thank you again for your reply and help, it is very much appreciated! :D

best regards,

Steve :D

Postby Suprawill1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:53 pm

That's ok. Glad you rectified the problem.
Home built Antec tower - Gigabyte EP45-UD3R - Intel Q9550@3.4G - Gemini cooler - Corsair CMPSU-550VX - 8G Crucial Ballistix - Dual monitor - Cubase Studio 5 - Vista Business 64 - Tascam FW-1082 mixer/card/controller/interface - Melodyne - Kore - Kontact - Halion Sonic - HSO - Addictive Drums - Morphology Etc Etc
Suprawill1

Return to Older Cubase versions