Feature Request: Show/Hide elements

Hi

I was just wondering if in the next update you could include a function in the bottom window (the one with colour notes, beaming, ties etc.) or even one of the side ones that allows you to select certain dynamic instructions, articulations etc. and hide them from view in the Master (full score) (a bit like that button in Sibelius). It would make my life so much easier!

Thanks

Kerz

Kerz, many elements can already be hidden via the Properties Panel. Dynamics, time signatures, playing techniques, etc.

Kerz, this has been discussed at length in the past. Dorico tried its best to work semantically: its developers want to know why you want to hide something, and “because that’s how it works in Sibelius” isn’t a valid reason. If you can be specific, they might add functionality.

I would just prefer for it to be easier to find so that I can get articulations to play back right without confusing my players when I go to get them to sight-read the score. Thanks.

At the moment I’m working at the Purcell School with some professional instrumentalists on a course btw.

I will have my work performed at the end. :grimacing: I’m a bit anxious and excited about it because, although I’m not being paid, it’s my first proper commission.

I’m 18 and have Asperger’s syndrome, so I find Music is the way that I communicate best with the world. It’s also why sometimes I need things explained to me in detail, although, given enough time, I can usually work them out myself. But a bit of help can still make all the difference.

Thanks guys.

Kerz

Congratulations! I was taught by Alison Cox briefly, and I worked with Issie Barratt a couple of years back - do say hello from Leo :wink:

I would like this too, but mainly for playback reasons. There are many things that you wouldn’t write in, but you would have to add if you wanted the playback to do what a human would…

Possibly stupid question, but is this a situation where it might be helpful to create a new layout just for playback? You would keep the original layout as the conductor’s score, and in the playback score add all the little extra dynamics etc. to get the sound you want, without having to hide them. I hasten to add that I’ve never tried this, and it may be much more complicated than I realise!

No not at all, it’s not that complicated and it’s what I do now. It’s more of an issue of flexibility, I sometimes don’t need such sophisticated playback and I’m happy just with Dorico’s interpretation, but there are many things in sample libraries that don’t simply work with Expression Maps/score markings.

I just often create 2 identical players above each other - 1 for the layout in which I mute all the notes and 1 for the playback :wink: - easy to do, easy to handle…

In the fullness of time, when there is a dedicated editing lane for dynamics in Play mode, it will be possible to edit dynamics in such a way that will not produce extra dynamics in the printed score (unless you want them to appear there, of course). Hiding articulations is a bit more tricky, and in my opinion pretty nonsensical. I think really the way to approach that would be to define a playing technique that produces the desired result and add that, rather than to write the articulation and then hide it.

That makes a lot of sense, however the problem arises when you have a library that for example has many different options for the same articulation (e.g. hard accent, soft accent, etc). The best possible example in reality are the SampleModeling libraries, which require all kinds of little tricks to achieve certain types of legato and portamento. So it’s not just articulations, it’s also notes that we would like to hide…

Although to be perfectly honest I would be more than satisfied if we could just hide a whole system and still have it playback, that would cover all my needs.

Will we able to draw keyswitches that also don’t get notated?

In the fullness of time, yes, we will provide one or more additional piano roll lanes in Play mode for a given instrument that will allow you to create material that will be played back, but which will never appear in Write mode.

Ah…! When dreams come true…