longer samples have slow tremelo effect

Is it possible to play a sample while keeping the volume constant?
Very short loops dont have the ‘‘fade in and out effect’’ that I get with
long samples ( for example a sustained strings sample will fading out and in, slowly.

Hans

yes.

im getting this too.

trying my hardest to use it as a basic sampler…

not found a solution yet

I think the fading in and out has to do with the duration of the grain.
The sample is always playing back using grains and they have a certain duration.
Even at the longest duration setting, it is still a grain (slice) that has a set length.
So it fades in and out at the beginning and end of the grain, no way around that.
Adding another grain stream with the right offset can hide the fades to some extent.

That is my guess anyway…

I think the fading in and out has to do with the duration of the grain.
The sample is always playing back using grains and they have a certain duration.
Even at the longest duration setting, it is still a grain (slice) that has a set length.
So it fades in and out at the beginning and end of the grain, no way around that.
Adding another grain stream with the right offset can hide the fades to some extent.

That is my guess anyway…

I think you’re right here Rotund and I wonder how hard it would be to write some extra code to include a signal path (at the start of the chain) for the unaltered sample file to run into a mixer parallel with the altered version? And if we’re really dreaming here then an extra signal path for the unaltered sample to run into the filter with mod options like envelopes, lfo’s etc and the ability to then feedback this signal to the chain start :slight_smile: But really would be nice Steinberg to at least allow a mix of unaltered and grain altered samples. Hope you’re listening :smiley:

If I remember correctly to get the sample to play without the fading you need to set the grain number to 8 (or whatever the full amount is), speed to 100%, spread / random etc to 0. Not at home right now but you can get it to play back samples like a normal sampler.

^ I’ll try that.

I have also had a hard time trying to set up my own initialize patch where I can play 1 to 1 audio (what comes in is what comes out) but I’ve often got that drifty sound. I feel like I’m sometimes able to get rid of it, but not sure what I’m doing.

Right now I’m not completely a master with all the parameters but I think being able to start from a completely unprocessed waveform would be a start, unfortunately I can’t seem to zero out the thing to get just the clean audio.

That’s almost too much, it would take the secret weapon aspect out. It’s a perfect idea, maybe too perfect!

Hi guys,

I have had some difficult times but a lot of happy accidents with this synth!

The best way I have found to retain some semblance of the original sample, or at least a better starting point is to first load one of the sustaining presets, then replace the audio file with yours. Try a few different
synth and waveform samples.
It may not give you exactly what you want, but the turnaround rate is a lot better than fiddling around.

Good to hear mpayne0! Haven’t fired up padshop in a while. Did the trick that benmcc suggest actually work? I will have a play around with it tonight. :smiling_imp:

Its tough. I really want to love this one but it just keeps fighting back!

Gonna have to agree with the idea of some sort of internal parallel config, because there is not much use for a sound that tremolos in and out… its just an unmusical non rhythmic effect that Padshop keeps spitting out, it becomes a waste of time and spirit killer. Generally, programming a sound out of a synth is fun and inspiring as you work towards great results. Padshop is fun, but you’re never really rewarded for your effort. I think that is an inherent problem with this synth, unless they do something, its going to die on my HDD. I’m just not going to pull out this synth for short stabby sounds, I’ve got better stuff for that.

:cry:

Hi,

I am getting this unwanted tremolo effect as well:

• Start from an init patch,
  • then I insert a 2-bar long groove,
  • duration is 1000, length is 100%
  • Mod matrix is empty
  • ADSR’s are set to 0-0-100-0…
  • Loop is on

Outcome: getting the tremolo effects from a loop.

Any chance it will be fixed or is this how it works?

This is simply how it works.

Padshop Pro is not a basic sampler. I think that is exactly one of the first “mistakes” (or as someone said, happy accidents) that people treat PP as just that, a basic sampler.

Padshop obviously can do basic sounds, but where it really dominate, is in the rhythmic-drone-texture-surreal-pad sort of domain. I’ve used it many times to complement a functional drum rhythm with a sound that uses a sample (say a bar) of that rhythm itself in PP, and then filter it (sometimes the rhythm has to be filtered instead, or both) to fit.

Anyways, if one wants a basic sampler, there are plenty of them available out there, free or for a price.

I’m not sure how I feel about it. I find that I am taking what it gives me, more often than me going in and building the pad sound that I desire, based off the imported sample. I’m talking in the sense of traditional droning pads.

It’s very mathematical. It does seem the tremolo is always going to be dependent on the size of the audio sample/number of grains to track and cycle. You would have to be a math genius to do the sort of calculations needed to figure out how to get multiple phases of a moving sample to line up perfectly. Ultimately aren’t we just hearing multiple samples canceling each other out at variable rates?

With Padshop, we can generate vague unpredictable experimental sounds by randomly toying around with imported audio, cross our fingers and hope that we can mangle it into sync with the song, settle for the best you can get after you’re just tired of fiddling, and perhaps while losing focus of the bigger musical picture.

And you can get a good sound that way, I’m not knocking ‘happy accidents’. I guess I was hoping for something a bit different. I won’t go as far to say they dropped the ball, but I imagine a lot of people hear the same potential I do for taking audio and ‘shmearing’ it into a steady sustained pad with that lovely watery Padshop signature sound.

We can’t do that with Padshop.

the one thing i simply do not understand when using padshop pro: if i want to create a decent pad sound, i have to actually start with a sample of a pad sound.

if not starting with a pad-ish sound, padshop creates garbled rubbish. which can be ok in some cases, but i would’ve expected a more broad application. e.g. take a voice snippet (aaaaah) and create a lush pad from it.

maybe i am simply not warming up to the program… maybe my incompetence.