Cubase and Ipad control

Nice topic, so right now we are at 1.5.1 v control pro, is it pro and very usable now?or there isnt still anything mindblowing when ipad controlling cubase is the case.I unfortunately dont have 40€ to spend just for demoing smt that im maybe not gonna use. So far i demod the light version and it seems cool, the mixer, but how everything else feels? Cheers

just bought Lemur and this : http://artsunmuted.com/ the cubase/nuendo templates are fantastic :slight_smile:

MC

Yeah, I use my own template (a mix of “generic remote” and “mackie control”) with Lemur and it’s the best controller I’ve ever had for cubase.

I just found this thread. We had discussed this briefly on the Nuendo forum here.

I ended up settling for V-control. I doesn’t have a Steinberg specific fader skin for C & N (meaning the layout doesn’t look like C or N) but the V-Window feature is very useful. My only beef with it doesn’t display using the ENTIRE iPad window because it keeps the V-Control transport visible. This regularly prevents me from accessing the bottom row of controls in the Nuendo windows I display there, unless I change the zoom and adjust the view. Also being able to edit plugins through it is really handy; just open the plugins and they can then be seen and edited as separate windows in V-Window.

One thing that would be really useful from V-Control and other such programs is to recall the Mixer Channel View Sets. I can’t figure out how to do this and yet it’s probably the single most useful command to use with limited fader remote controllers. Does anyone know if this works or not? It doesn’t appear to be an assignable command for either the Mackie Control or HUI protocols.

I was curious about the artsunmuted stuff, but what I see is a lot of command surfaces but not much in terms of showing me what’s going on. It seems more of a remote control; am I wrong?

I just got an Ipad last week and I’m just finding this thread. I had my first WOW! moment yesterday using the Omnisphere TR control. I know I’m behind the curve but still amazing. Looking forward to following the great input from everyone here.

Thanks

Tried to get the V control working with XP 64x but no go. Couldn’t get past the “msvcr100.dll not found error” I tried every manner of delete and and install the correct files from MS but no go. If anyone has done this let me know how.

You need to install both the x86 and x64 Microsoft Visual C++ libraries on your system:

http://www.neyrinck.com/support/faq/v-control-pro#f_208

HTH

Thanks Jose I saw that FAQ and took it to mean I needed to install the package for me (64x) . I’ll try installing both and see what happens. Thanks for the reply

I know. But you actually do need to install both of them. It’ll work after you do that, I promise :wink:.

It worked. Thanks a lot Jose. Do you use this app regularly ?

I do, but I’m still using the free version :confused:

Good day! While im not totally in for the ipad mixer control as i have my two mixer popping up nicely with key commands, i was wondering if could have spectrum analyzer of my main out seen on full screen with ipad3. It would be great if it was retina compatible, precise. Tnx.

You could have that with V-Control, yes. The Pro version is $50 USD though, so I don’t know if that functionality is worth that much. It’s up to you, of course.

EDIT: Just read that the free version DOES have the V-Window feature, which is what enables you to see your plugin windows, but without editing features. This is probably good enough for you since all you want is to be able to see the plugin in your iPad, right? Hope this helps.

@Breeze; about recalling mixerviewsets with Mackie controller’s:

Post by DAWgEAR, Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:24 am

You need to create some channel view sets first (use the + button after you have things the way you want with respect to hide status). See p. 114 in the Operation Manual.

Once you have a few views set up, use the Fader Groups 1-8 buttons on the Mackie Control. The first button will recall the first channel view set in the dropdown menu, the second button will recall the second one, etc. It is the row of 8 buttons under the F1-F8 buttons at the upper right of the unit (this depends on which overlay one uses on the MCU).

Those with Houston have similar functionality but with the Sets button to the right of the faders in conjunction with the number pad.

Jurgen

Still think this is the best cubendo ipad controller as its specific to cubendo. It’s actually a copy of the center section of $60 000 Euphonix system 5 desks.

I agree though it seems crazy that steinberg being owned by yamaha hasn’t managed to integrate the amazing ipad conrtol of the live desks.

MC

@Jose, I just bought iPad mini a week back and tried with this V-Control Free version. But I’m loosing the sync with the counter display if I click on a different location with my mouse in Cubase’s timeline. Do you know why its happening?

Regards

I’m using the Pro version, so I’m not sure if it matters, but I’m not seeing that here. V-Control keeps in sync no matter how random I navigate inside the project (wether playback is active or not). Might be a bug in the free version though. Either way more information is required in order to find out what’s causing the issue. What do you have going on in the project?

You might be right, I just struggled to install new version of Ney-fi driver and there is no problem like I had before.

It was an empty project with just one audio track for testing.

Did you or anyone used both V-Control and Cubase IC pro? Which one is better? In terms of money V-Control is way too expensive. But I like that they have V-Window.

Regards

You didn’t have the latest version of Ney-Fi, and that’s why you had problems. You must update Ney-Fi to the latest version every time you update or V-Control will not work properly. I should’ve remembered that.

As far as which one is better, between V-Control and Cubase IC Pro, I guess it depends. For right now, and my particular workflow, V-Control Pro is a bit better than Cubase IC Pro. Not only does it have the V-Window (which is a super great feature in itself), but V-Control Pro also has numerical read outs for faders (essential, if you ask me), bigger pan sliders (makes it easier to pan), comes with a job wheel for easy navigation, a big counter, can be utilized on several DAWs, etc.

On the other hand, Cubase IC Pro has a few features of its own such as the show/hide different track types, a better project overview, several custom macros, zoom levels and more. I’m sure I’m missing a few features, but those are the ones I like the most. As IC Pro matures, it will become the best iPad remote controller for Cubase. At that point I will most likely get IC Pro, but not as of the current version. YMMV.

Take care!

Thanks Jose, for your clear comparison and help.

Even I liked the v-window feature, but they locked it in free version. The price is same as cubasis, too high for controller app. I guess I will have to wait for IC PRO newer versions with wish lists fulfilled.

Thanks again.