wavelab8 request(s)

…thx PG, I was not aware of this!

m.

Hi
If I may have suggestion for future update/upgrade release of WL. There is a function called “Blur peaks” in Spectrum Editor. Since I often work with classical guitar material I would love to have something to clean excessive breath noise captured by microphone. I was thinking about opposite thing to “Blur peaks” so it leaves stronger signal unchanged but lowers the background. It could be very useful also as noise remover I surgical meaning.

Thanx …W

Thank you very much for your consideration.

This is how I am already doing it within WL and it works well.

The utility I was looking for was much more straight forward and more or less ‘automated’. No file by file save and no need to create and render from montages. Completely off line.

At present I use the one that Rail Jon Rogut was kind enough to provide which I don’t think is freely available (at least I’ve checked his site and it’s not there).

It’s not a big issue.

True Scrub.

I’m still new to Wavelab7, so there’s a possibility I’m overlooking this feature, but I cannot find any way to scrub.

True scrubbing is not the same as Jog & Shuttle. Jog and Shuttle will change the speed of the playback depending on where you put your mouse. Scrubbing repeatedly plays a micro loop of the point at which the cursor rests. Usually, you can specify how many microseconds you want the loop to be.

Scrubbing is ESSENTIAL in identifying specifics points in the audio. I used it in Soundtrack Pro and Audition to identify and remove clipping and to make razor cuts on similar sounding sections.

The kind of scrubbing you mention works like this in WaveLab: start playback of an audio file (not montage), then click in the time ruler and hold the mouse button down. Everytime you move to a new position, playback restarts from that point. When you release the mouse button, the edit cursor is located at the last start position, presumely the position you’re looking for.

Thank you Phillipe for your quick reply.

This is a actually a little bit more useful than what I’m currently doing: holding down Alt and repeatedly clicking the left mouse button. I’ll use the method you suggested for now. But it’s still not nearly as helpful as dragging the cursor across the waveform and hearing a microloop (15 ms for example) at the cursor start point. But in order for it to really work, you need a set microloop of a specific time, which your method does not have. Your method plays back until you move the cursor. Scrub is sort of like sending out a sonar pulse to gauge your position.

Scrub is essential for those of us who insist on editing by sound and not just the visuals of the waveform. I got addicted to it way back in 1997 on my trusty old Roland VS-880 digital 8 track recorder, which couldn’t even display a waveform, so no visual editing at all. I used scrub all the time to find specific start points on Soundtrack Pro. Once you start using it, it’s hard to use a program without it.

If you click on the time ruler while in PLAY, the playback starts there. If you did not move the cursor after clicking, then you can click again starting at the same spot. Do this repeatedly for a looping effect. Move to another location and do the same. Until you find the part you want. Then drop a marker.

A decent pdf or paper user manual? Like what existed in WL6?

Automation? Effect morphing works but I’m referring to the Cubase type automation.

Right, exactly! +1

Upgrade path from Elements to full would be nice. :slight_smile:

A stereo imaging tool would come in handy. Something like what Ozone has.

What I would very much like to be added to the spectral editing feature is the representation of audio in the stereo field, like Roland R-mix does. That would be really helpful - and obviously with that the possibility to only edit in that stereo field position. Not equally L & R channels.

Quoted from here: Spectral editing topic

Hi, Philippe!

While we’re on the subject of “nice to have’s” in WL8, I’ve discovered that the import mechanism for earlier version WL 4/5/6 presets doesn’t fare too well when attempts are made to import such settings into WL7.

For instance efforts to bring in “Q”, “MultiBand Compressor”, “DeNoiser”, “DeClicker”, “NaturalVerb”, etc. presets into WL7 result in error notices. To an extent this is understandable as the newer ‘plugs’ are considerably different, and likely more sophisticated. But if such is the case, why bother with an import function? Is there any way that such settings can be transferred into the newer ‘plugs’, perhaps through a lookup table to apply the older settings to the newer ‘plugs’? It would at least get things into a comparable “ball park” for the earlier setting transitions to the newer plug-ins.

Again, just some more idle thoughts from Narragansett Bay!

Thanks for everything you do for us users! The WL Software is just fantastic!

Normally, “Q”, “MultiBand Compressor”, “DeNoiser”, “DeClicker”, “NaturalVerb”, that are referred to old Master Section presets should be recongnized (on Windows). Else that’s a bug. Is that what you mean?
I understand the interest of the idea to map settings from old plugins to newer plugins, but in practise, this is impossible because the algorithms have changed.

A decent pdf or paper user manual? Like what existed in WL6?

+1

Hello,

A nice thing would be some more advanced options on the spectrometer :

• a slope setting (like on the free voxengo span) : for exemple, in 3dB slope, pink noise has a flat frequency response, white noise a +3dB/oct rising slope. It corresponds better to the human hearing.
  • L and R signal separatly.
  • Speed setting (= averaging), to see “RMS like” value at each frequencies, independantly of the FFT block size chosen.

Thanks !

Perhaps it can be integrated in WaveLab 7 also !

A complete re-design (modernization) of the overall Wavelab GUI is needed.

Hopefully, Wavelab 8 will look much better, and offer great workflow, new features, misc. improvements, …etc.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

I disagree. We’ve just been through a complete redesign going from WL6 to WL7, thank you. What is needed is some refinement fo the present HUI and functional improvements/ feature enhancements. And most of all, a good pdf User Manual in a printable (A4) format - or an optional paper one.

Something like this in Audio Montage:

1. Control-clicking on track panels lets you select two or more tracks (say, tracks 1 + 7 + 8);
  2. Pressing tab (or some other dedicated key command) rotates between the selected tracks by smoothly soloing each in turn (1 > 7 > 8 > 1… etc.).

That is for the purpose of comparing two or more tracks in the audio montage setting. Presently, it can be done, but not very conveniently.

• an option to keep last checked or unchecked ‘audio monitoring’ box in the record windows.