[Feature Request]: Sizing applies resample

Pretty straight forward:
I would like to be able to drag the end of an audio part along the Quantize Grid and have it pitch up or down in order to get to the right speed, WITHOUT granular timestretching.

Sound example:

1. normal beat - wrong tempo

2. time stretched Beat with MPEX (artifacts are introduced)

3. Pitched Beat (no artifacts)

I have a few reasons for this request, which I personally consider extremely important.

1. Sound FX. There’s no reason why many sound FX couldn’t be pitched up or down to fit tempo. Granular timestretching doesn’t always suffice!
  2. Drum Loops. I appreciate that for most people most of the time, drums are adequately catered for by other features. I need more control and flexibility.
  3. DJ-style purposes. Even if only to tempo-sync’ a reference track, it would be a nice addition and a major feature enhancement. Ableton Live can do it!

I’m desperately hoping this will already be a planned addition to the feature set, but I didn’t find any information on it. If it IS already planned, then the next step is to use Resampling as a Free Warp algorithm. I can only imagine this being useful for FX and drums right now, but I’m sure there will be other creative uses!

Thanks for your time!
credits: http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=766605

Dear tekniq,

Cubase already does it! You just have to choose a different ‘élastique Pro’ algorithm in the Project Pool, for example the ‘Tape’ algorithm.

Regards

Oh sry is this in Cubase 6? I have only Cubase 5 - then its time to upgrade I guess :slight_smile:

edited: upgraded and its still not possible :confused:

I think its not to easy to understand - or I dont know. I hope it has no political / financial partner reasons.

Edit. I tried it out - it still not what I meant :wink:

here is again an Audio Example:

first the original Drumloop Length: 4.3.3.5 bars - it obviously doesnt fit to the song tempo. so I have to change it:

then second the resampled one (length: 4.0.0.0 bars)

then third the elatique pro Tape length: 4.0.0.0 bars

then fourth the sum of elastique pro and the resampled one with inverted phase of the elastique pro (to show the difference; length of course 4.0.0.0 bars) -

you can hear a BIG Difference it almost sounds like a short delay of some sort - so the tape algorithm is in no way just resampling the audio material. (If it was the same - then we should hear nothing cause the phase inverted waves would cancel each other out; the louder the same is, the bigger difference it has - so it is nearly the whole beat - that means it is a big difference. in fact its also moved in time - thats the delay’ish effect.).

If you like me want to do resampling - I made an easy short formula:
you can use this calculation to do it quickly: http://www.abload.de/img/qweqweqwenwrou.jpg
I can upload the maple sheet if you want, then the Software will calculate it automatically, but you can use any programming language to make a small Application that does that for you in your favorite style.

but I really want is a function inside Cubase that lets me change the length of an audio sample accordingly to the musical time base with locators etc… and based on resampling (the easiest way) so I dont have to switch to my calculator. the function itself is pretty easy as you can see.

the advantage of resampling is its non destructive - as all these time stretch pitch shift algorithms get better and better but still have artifacts. A song that consists heavily on drumloops should have a very clean drumloop.

I got to admit that all these time stretch algos get better with the years, but in order to have the original sound I cant rely on them though.

solution: If it has reasons with partners that dont want Cubase to have this function because they want us users to use their algorithms (just a wild guess cause I cannot explain it otherwise) - why not implement a small Java applet language into Cubase that lets us do small calculations. We dont have to switch to the desktop then - we just have to put in our numbers. Maybe this could be used for other calculations too. so it would not only be useful for people like me.

(another good thing with resampling: it increases (of course it does because it resamples) the higher frequencies:

what I want to show / proof is: time stretching etc is by any means not the same as resampling and that I dont want to rely on time stretching algorithms.)

Hi there,

Cubase offers a lot of solutions in your case at this time for the drumloops:

Just use in the Sample- Editor: Hitpoints, Edit Hitpoints (detection), create slices, maybe some crossfades (Advanced/Close gaps(crossfade) and activate the music mode on the track.

Works perfect…and even better than resampling with emphasis. I really do not want any emphasis on my files, if I want it I will create it…
My opinion… I think an improvement of the algorithm will be much more effective…

And by the way, if you compare the resampled and the algorithm file…there will always be a difference.
Two different files with two complete different workflows are the logical result.

For FX…which kind of FX do mean…Swoosh, Uplifter, Downlifter, Tape Stops…etc…or just drum- fillin??

Cheers,

Marcus

what would be really useful is if an audio event in elastique-tape mode, when extended or shortened using the ‘sizing applies time stretch’ mode, actually snapped to sizes that correspond to semitone changes. like in samplers / trackers. ideally via the timeline. at the moment, pitch-shifting a sample in elastique-tape mode via the timeline does not down-/upsample the event (thus changing its length) to achieve the desired pitch change, but it does the standard time-preserving pitch-shift. sometimes you don’t want that.

Cubase still does not have a resampling function that allows to resample a file to a size I can predefine.

The Moderators devs got it wrong.

I did it explain it pretty clearly what I need.

How can I explain it better? I dont know… Its a mysterious thing …

All I can do explaining is this, and if you cant understand this - I dont know - but then maybe - dunno… (dont want to sound harsh - but all that comes to my mind is: wrong job?)

Clear the page - forget all you know - free your mind - stretch your legs - feel good -
A Sound file appears - Wav for example - doesnt matter - it plays back just fine in the Cubase Sequencer - its a drum loop - already perfectly cutted - just 2 bars in length - but it has not the tempo of the project - so in the project it has a different length (2.3 bars for example) - I dont want to change the project tempo to fit the drumloop - no:

I want it to resample - Tadaaaaa (why resample might some people ask - what has this to do with length? what is this wizardry?)

I want the file after resampling to have a specific length. ← This, this please :confused:

In fact - I only want to use the resample function to give that file a new length. Its the only reason for the resampling.
Example: A file that has the length: 2.3 Bars for example. I want it to resample so it has 2.0 bars. After resampling it has a different pitch - yes, but I want that so…

As of now I always have to resample, zoom in the sequencer to see if the file fits the 2.0 bars, undo the resample, change the numbers a bit, resample, zoom in the sequencer to see if the file fits the 2.0 bars, undo the resample, change the numbers a bit, resample, zoom in the sequencer to see if the file fits the 2.0 bars, undo the resample, change the numbers a bit, resample, zoom in the sequencer to see if the file fits the 2.0 bars, undo the resample, change the numbers a bit, resample, zoom in the sequencer to see if the file fits the 2.0 bars, undo the resample, change the numbers a bit, resample, zoom in the sequencer to see if the file fits the 2.0 bars, undo the resample, change the numbers a bit, resample, zoom in the sequencer to see if the file fits the 2.0 bars, undo the resample, change the numbers a bit, resample…

Is it that hard to understand? I dont think so.

I dont want to use time stretch or pitch shift… (I use time stretch and pitch shift sometimes, for other stuff - its nice thank you yes all is good with them, but yes sometimes I dont want to use them, cause they are heavily interpreting and editing an audio file…)

12 years now… I am waiting…

and doing this kind of stuff in the meanwhile: - YouTube

so what i did there doesn’t do the trick for you?

it “sounds” the way I want it yes. But I think its not resampling is it?

as I said I really cant hear much difference anymore…

but I think its still pitch shift and pitch applied…

maybe I let it rest ^^

I copy your Video into another post - for others that seek it to see the solution if you dont mind.

no worries.

i’ll make a request (again) for the infoline-driven transposition by resampling.