Hope Springs Eternal (Vols 1 and 2) - NOW WITH SALES FIGURES

CURRENT SALES
In this section I will provide a daily summary of our revenue collection.

12/10- $56.00 total

ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS
I’m positive that I’m not the only one who thought about the Musicians for Haiti project as it pertains to the victims of Sandy.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

1. We need a quick turnaround time. If you have a song already nearing completion that’s great too, but I’d rather you cherry picked something from your already completed library to contribute. Please PM me your email address if you are going to contribute so that I can give you access to the Box.com folders for submissions.

2. I have a radio station that has already agreed to give us airtime if we do this. Plus, their studio is in Boonton, NJ which is (I believe) equidistant from both Lenny and I. Todd, the station’s owner, said he would be willing to do on air interviews too so Lenny and I can make a road trip to get on the air to promote the album.

3. My employer is matching employee contributions, 1 for 1, for Sandy relief. So any monies donated would be collected by me and then given to my employer to double the impact.

4. A very close friend of mine is a top-notch graphics designer who, at one point, was responsible for ibm.com . I’m pretty sure he’d be willing to contribute an album cover and a logo. Since Musicians for Haiti really isn’t applicable as a name for this collaborative group, I’ll come up with something appropriate.

5. Finally, I’ve created a Facebook fan page for promotional purposes and have started inviting my entire 500+ friend network to join it. Obviously, anyone from here on Facebook would be strongly encouraged to do the same. What killed the Haiti project was a lack of successful mass marketing (not due to any lack of effort by anyone here) so I want to already take steps now to setup preventative measures so that this doesn’t happen again.

6. Tom (Zartler) has agreed to do post-production work, i.e. rudimentary mastering. See below for more information.

7. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS. As a studio owner, Tom’s time really is money. He has graciously volunteered his time for any post-production work that needs to done to any of the tracks, so to limit the amount of time he needs to spend we decided to release 2 compilations of 8 tracks each.

LEGALEASE

Each artist grants “us” (the collection of contributing artists) a non-exclusive right to distribute the specific bodies of work that they select and relinquish any and all claims to revenues generated as a result of “our” distribution activities for those bodies of work. The specific bodies of work being donated should be denoted in writing either via direct electronic communication (e.g. post here, in the corresponding Facebook thread, send me an email on Facebook or other means, etc.) or via an authorized representative (e.g. Tom Zartler on behalf of his artists).

SOCIAL MEDIA

I have created a Facebook fan page called Sound of Humanity. This will be the umbrella name for the group of musicians that contribute to this and future causes should we desire to do so. Even if you choose not to contribute, please do find and Like us on Facebook and then spread the word. We can only help as much as there are people that know about our existence so tell everyone you know!

There is a matching Bandcamp site: soundofhumanity.bandcamp.com . There is nothing yet there, obviously.

There is a matching email address for communications. It is humanusic@yahoo.com . At some point in the future, I’ll get a domain name, setup music.whatever.com to point to the Bandcamp site, and create email addresses using the domain name to give us more credibility in the e-world.

CONTRIBUTING ARTISTS FOR THE SANDY EFFORT

1. Me - “It’s a Sunny Day” (uploaded)
  2. Dylan Siemerink - “Truly Free” (uploaded…I think)
  3. Lenny Lee - “No Place Like Home” (uploaded)
  4. Phil Donald - “Numb Club” (uploaded)
  5. Mark Petruzzi - “If Only” (uploaded)
  6. Ian - “The Storm is Over” (uploaded)
  7. Matt Mead (non Cubase’r) - “Carry a Wave” (uploaded)
  8. Strophoid - “With Me” (uploaded)
  9. Robin - “Marvin’s Journey” (uploaded)
  10. Kevin (ShadowFax) - “Message for You” (uploaded)
  11. John (JSW) - “Breakfast” (uploaded)
  12. Nicola (non Cubase’r) - “Sign me up” (uploaded)
  13. Kim Christiansen - “The Salesman” (uploaded)
  14. Glyn Powell - “Heart Be Still” (uploaded)
  15. Tara Eberle-Drouin - “Dangerous” (uploaded)
  16. Katie Pearlman - “Dinner With the McCrays” (uploaded)
  17. Dave Keir - “Entropy” (uploaded)

LOGISTICS

I have setup a Box account for submitting files. If you are contributing, you must PM me your email address so that I can grant you access to the Box folders.

Due to the response, please submit one song only. Hit us with your best shot! Please upload your file to the Workspace folder with the appropriate name (see below).

Files should be stereo mixdowns, 44.1kHz, 24-bit (preferred, though Tom can convert 16-bit mixes) WAV files with the name “song title - artist” so that we can keep track of which file belongs to whom.

Before submitting them to Tom, turn off all plug-ins on the Master Bus. Tom has indicated that you can send him a version of the song with the plugs turned on so that he has some guidance in terms of your creative direction.

I can surely do that.

You should post this in the Music Lounge too.

EDIT: I Posted a Link there

I may even have a submission or few. I will ask some of my artists who I think may be interested. Legalities?

Each artist grants “us” (the collection of contributing artists) a non-exclusive right to distribute the specific bodies of work that they select and relinquish any and all claims to revenues generated as a result of “our” distribution activities for those bodies of work. The specific bodies of work being donated should be denoted in writing either via direct electronic communication (e.g. post here, in the corresponding Facebook thread, send me an email on Facebook or other means, etc.) or via an authorized representative (e.g. Tom Zartler on behalf of his artists).

Outside of the legalese, the revenues will be collected by me and donated to CA Technologies, which has a standing policy of matching all employee (of which I am one) contributions dollar for dollar allowing us to essentially contribute double the amount we collect. I am 99% (but not 100%) sure that they have a specific channel for funds to go to Sandy victims, but that 1% could be true.

I can try to get specific statistics on number of downloads per song, but I’m not sure if Bandcamp provides that capability.

I will keep a running list of artists who have agreed to contribute in the first post of this thread.

I just created a Facebook fan page for the group called Sound of Humanity. Believe it or not that was not taken already. See the first post in this thread for more information.

You mean raise money? I’ve posted a number of crappy tracks you could use, although none of them are technically “songs” in that there’s no singing. Running on generator power right now myself. Typically I have to pay people to listen to them… but I already made a donation to the Red Cross.

Do you imply that Phil Donald and Lenny Lee are still around? Neither has posted in ages! Miss them actually.

Yeah, this will be to raise money to be donated on behalf of all of the collaborators.

Since you seem unsure about the quality of the tracks from which you’d be willing to donate one, can you link to them here? I’ll have a listen and let you know my own thoughts if you’ll have them. I know that there are a lot of talented but also humble people here so your self-critique may just be humility speaking.

Instrumentals are most definitely welcome. I donated a few instrumentals for the Haiti effort myself.

And, yes, Lenny and Phil are still around. They are on Facebook though. :smiley:

What’s this Facebook to which you refer?

The last time one of these tragedies happened, and Lounge members wanted to do something like this, Woodlock and I were somewhat contrarian about it. For whatever reason, I feel differently now… maybe I’ve matured? Or just mellowed out some. I say go for it, and bless you :sunglasses:

Glyn has had a chance to read the text of this first post, which Robin copied over at Geoff’s forum, and sees that it’s mainly about collating completed works and getting the project done and dusted ASAP for maximum impact and thereby maximum potential to help the people it’s set up for.

He wishes to convey his respects to Larry and to all involved, and that he’s happy to contribute Motherless Child - if it fits, just grab the wave from the Haiti site Also anything that he’s done stuff on, eg Hunger or Ian’s orchestral piece if Larry or Ian want to contribute those.

Best wishes :slight_smile:

good luck…it’s a worthy cause…some extremely bad taste goin on under this

Some lyrics
Big tip of the hat to Mr. Holly

Everyday Sandy

Everyday it’s a getting warmer
Heating up like a nuke reactor
Storms like yours will surely come my way
A-hey, a-hey hey hey

Everyday winds are getting faster
Everyone says, “When’s the next disaster?”
A-hey, a-hey hey hey

Every year summer’s getting longer
Oceans rising tides are getting stronger
Fear the day
When the earth turns it’s back on me.

Everyday the sun is getting brighter
Ozone layer’s thin as tissue paper
A-hey, a-hey hey hey

Keep on burning coal gas and oil
Air’s turned poison like a septic boil
Fear the day
When the earth turn’s it back on me

Everyday it’s a getting warmer
Heating up like a nuke reactor
A-hey, a-hey hey hey

Ted Barrett 2012

Good luck guys!

I am going to dust off the gear this afternoon and find something to contribute. I’ve been too busy with the personal life lately to get much done musically, not so many gigs lately either :frowning: . It will be good to take another stab at a cause… hopefully it will do some good. :sunglasses:

The soup improves as it simmers. :wink:

And you too Doug.

I’ve also cross posted to my forum,

http://northwoodmediaworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=846#p5466

There may be someone there who steps up. :sunglasses:

Cheers

Okay, so I am now gonna look like I am littering this topic… :astonished: :open_mouth: :confused: :blush:

I have just sent off my contribution to Larry and Tom. :slight_smile: I hope others will find something they can share, no matter what you feel the “grade” of it is… you’ll be sending the right energy anyway.

Cheers.

Got it. Are the submissions closed now?

Larry, P.M. me your phone number. I changed phones and don’t have it any more.