Upgrading to Asus P8z77 mobo but which one?

The Windows 7 Event log. Usually every machine complains about something when first built :slight_smile:

And I do not understand this.

The Navy Blue and Grey ports on this board are certainly not in any “lower cheaper” segment. They are all 6GB/s. I use a single Intel (Grey ) port for my SSD and 2 of the Intel Blue 3GB connectors for the my two SATA hard disks.

Using a 6GB/s port only makes sense for SSD’s - any normal SATA hard drive regardless of vintage can’t take true advantage of a 6GB port so it’s pointless to think that connecting a normal SATA hard disk to a 6GB SATA port is going to somehow “be better”. These traditional “hard” disk designs can only go so fast - but they are not even close the speed of an SSD. And certainly do not require a 6GB SATA port.

Adding a PCI card ios a waste of money as well - ANY SATA port on this board can more than handle anything you can ever throw at it - if recording and editing audio is your intent.

I think you guys need to stop worrying so much about “performance” that you can never feel or measure and just pick one of the these boards and get down to it. They are all excellent, well tested and reliable. And are much more that is needed for a typical DAW.

VP