Upgrading to Asus P8z77 mobo but which one?

I have always gone into a new DAW build with one major rule in mind - Always buy the “second” most powerful CPU out there at any given time. When I built this one (and even today) - the second most powerful CPU where I shop here in Calgary is the i7 3770K. I bought it according to the rule above not to overclock.

Now - I am not sure where you live but the difference between a high end i5 and this i7 here in Canada is about a 100 bucks. That’s not a ton of cash but if I am going to be using this thing for three years - I am going to spend the money now - and over a 36 month period - that “extra” ends up costing about $2.50 a month - it’s worth it to me.

Again - if the 3770K is too much - step down to the third most powerful and so on - til you hit a point where you feel good about the cash for the CPU.

Another rule: If you need to cut budget - don’t cut on the CPU. It’s the heart and soul of the operation…buy cheaper RAM or a cheaper PSU but stay firm on getting the best CPU you can afford.

Of course - this stuff always comes down to budget - but trust me - focus your main dollars into getting the very “best” big 3 (mobo, CPU and RAM) you can afford. Everything else is easy to swap in an out if you should change your mind. A good PSU is also a higher priority. I have had nothing but success and lots of enjoyment by sticking to these simple rules and spending wisely.

VP