Erronious display of double flats instead of naturals

Dorico has for some odd reason been displaying double flats instead of naturals when when i do note input.

As an example (see illustration below): the flygelhorn and the trumpet has the same melody, but displays differently. When i try to change the leftmost double-flat note in the top staff, i am able to correct it to a natural by moving it one halftone down and back again. However, this does not work on the rightmost double-flat, where i have to move it down and manually insert a natural from the accidentals menu.

I simply cannot see the logic behind this behavoiur. I’m completely open to this being me breaking something, but have no clue how i might have done that.

The input was done in verson 3.1, but the erronious display (and manipulation described above) also persists in 3.5. I have copied and pasted in from several xml files created in Sibelius and Musescore (all opened in separate windows). I’m using a midi keyboard for entry, if that matters.

Has anyone else come across this issue, or have suggestions on how to solve it? I’m also a bit concerned that this issue will pop up again in the future. Proofreading accidentals is definitely not how i want to spend my time, but i also don’t want to be cursed at by my sax player again :wink:

Regards
Fredrik

I suspect this could be Dorico respelling notes based on the context of the phrases and the key signature - because you can’t explicitly state how you want a note to be spelled when using a MIDI keyboard (as F# is the same key as Gb), Dorico has to make decisions on how to notate the pitches you press on the keyboard. You can disable Dorico from changing accidentals retrospectively when inputting using a MIDI keyboard.

What you can also do now for this project is respell the notes, rather than change their pitch up and down. If you respell notes in the full score, this change gets reflected in the part (but not vice versa).

Thanks Lillie for your response, and for the useful suggestions.

I’m generally a big fan of Dorico retrospectively adjusting my note spelling (less work, better results, consistency etc.), so i don’t really want to turn it off. My issues with how it works in this one case, has to do with me finding the choices made to be a bit weird. I’m a bit rusty on musical theory, but should notes resolving upwards to a flat note (like in my example), really be notated with a double flat and not a natural? Thist doesn’t seem like good practice in my opinion.

I also have an issue with the apparent randomness of it all (e.g. the difference in the last bar of the horn and flygelhorn part). Also, the inconsistent response to manual manipulation is a bit of a puzzle to me.

I have a backup-copy if you think it would be worthwhile to have a look. Flugelhorn and horn are the only parts that were inputted on the midi-keyboard (the rest were copied in from an xml file), so might perhaps be the most comparable.