KeyCommand Utility - Now Testing Mac Support

FWIW, and as I’m not allowed by the forum to upload the HTML file generated for security reasons, I just imported it in Libre Office Writer 3.6 and exported it again as it is in a PDF format.

The result is joined. Quite usable and much better than what I was doing until now : a tedious editing work on a copy of the xml file which needed to be done again, each time I changed a key command for a reason.

The HTML file is the best, though : all the key commands are displayed in less than two screens, here.
Key Commands 2.pdf (97.7 KB)

Updated the script in the first post. See the EDIT statement at the top to see what/why. You can grab the new code and just overwrite what you have if you want. Or, you can just copy the BK = Array section to get just the main part I changed.

Updated to hopefully fix it so the macros show up. It’s possible I screwed something else up while fixing that loop. So, be attentive.

If you would like to see the colors you can choose from.
colors

Thanks I’m going to try this today

Coolness! The macros at least show up. I’ve not seen any misbehavior yet, so for now it’s working … :sunglasses:

Thank you very much!

I’ve just test the vbs, the html generated fine… I am testing it with Cubase 6, but this should not be an issue.

However the modifiers are wrong - e.g one of my shortcut works with the Alt modifier, but this is tabulated to the Shift column…all other keycommands are also assigned to a wrong modifier.

Any idea?

US keyboard?
Interesting, can you pm me the key commands.xml file?

Never mind, I think I figured it out. He didn’t make it so that it sorted by modifier and I moved them to my preferred order. I wrote a similar utility in C#, but it lets you set the modifier order. I had assumed this would as well.

Anyhow, I put it back in his fixed order. So, the command will stay in the same place, but the column header will be different.

You can just fix this one line if you want. It should be as follows…

A(0) = Array("key", "-", "Shift", "Ctrl", "Alt", "Ctrl+Shift", "Alt+Shift", "Ctrl+Alt", "Ctrl+Alt+Shift")

Thanks you very much, I am using a UK layout keyboard, now works great here! :smiley:

This is excellent. Much easier to get a handle on the key commands

I built a spreadsheet and wrote a parser to import it into excel back in the SX days. The first time I saw the results laid out this way, it was such a huge eye opener. I was able to optimize so many aspects of the keymap that I didn’t even know were screwed up. It also lets you see the huge gap of unused keys. It’s just such a great way to see what’s going on.

Thanks for this.
Incredibly handy…

This should be a sticky.

Is there any way to list unassigned keycommands as well in order to browse what I maybe miss ? :slight_smile:

For me is would perfectly fine to list them into a separate html file.

JMCecil,

I’m on Mac, and want to have this too. I run a Virtual Box install of windows xp and have succeeded in creating an html file from my key commands xml file by editing a few lines in the .vbs file.

The problem is that there is one more modifier key available on Mac than on PC, so I need to create more columns, which I was able to do, and parse the corresponding commands into them, which I was not.

I fiddled with the array statements, but don’t have enough Basic knowledge to make this happen. I was hoping I am missing something that would help me.

Anywho, PM me if this is too much for a forum post, and thanks for your work on the original.

yeah, its tough because the variable and array setup he has is more the “geterdone” variety. Very hard to follow. I tried re-ordering the columns and failed miserably. But, I think the code you are looking for is in the case statements where he sets “kn” values for parsing in the loops.

Thanks. I’ll have another go at it.

@SteveInChicago, did you ever get it working on mac?

No, I could never reverse engineer the VB parsing script to implement that column for the extra modifier key.

Mac: shift, ctrl, opt, cmd
Win: shift, ctrl, alt

If this were redone in javascript instead of Visual Basic it could work on both platforms. It requires more advanced scripting than I am familiar with currently, though I might have another go at at at some point.

Hmm let me think about doing a js version. Someone else has asked me for a Mac version. I just stayed so swamped these days.

That would be great.