Cubasis with GarageBand and FL Studio instruments

Cubasis with GarageBand and FL Studio instruments

Postby ipadmusic.com » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 pm

I tried to control other ipad DAWs from Cubasis through Virtual MIDI and I've found nice workflow on how I can use virtual instruments from GarageBand and FL studio for project in Cubasis (I also tried NanoStudio and BeatMaker 2 but they don't want to work with Virtual Midi).
Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZuldJM3EoI
ipadmusic.com

Re: Cubasis with GarageBand and FL Studio instruments

Postby surfer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 pm

Thank you for this, very informative.

Care to share how you recorded the iPad screen video?
surfer

Postby No1DaBeats » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:03 am

Thanks for the information. Though it's not very handy to work
like that yet in my opinion. I wish that was possible with iMaschine
and LoopMash HD. iMaschine has only an iTunes and a SoundCloud Export.
Would be very nice for drums.I haven't tried it with LoopMash yet.
Mac Mini (Mac OS X 10.8.5; Intel QuadCore i7 2,3GHz; 16GB RAM; 1600MHz Frontbus), Steinberg UR28M, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, AKG K271 Studio, Beyerdynamic DT 770 M, Focusrite ISA One, Shure SM7b, iCON Neuron 5, Steinberg CMC CH, PD, TP & QC, Steinberg Cubase 7.5.20, WaveLab 8.0.2, HALion 5 (Version 2.2.5), HALion Sonic 2 (Version 2.2.4), Halion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet, Neo Soul Keys, The Grand 3 (Version 3.1.0), Padshop Pro, Groove Agent 4, Native Instruments Komplete 9, Steinberg-Yamaha Vintage Channel Strip & Vintage Open Deck & Vintage Stomp Pack

------

Life is too short for realtime-bouncing..
No1DaBeats

Postby ipadmusic.com » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:32 am

surfer wrote:Thank you for this, very informative.

Care to share how you recorded the iPad screen video?

I used Reflection for Mac (it's kind of AirPlay server) and mirrored iPad screen to that with just Airplay feature. It comes with delay, so if you want to perform on your ipad it is better to use video camera.
ipadmusic.com

Postby ipadmusic.com » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:34 am

No1DaBeats wrote:Thanks for the information. Though it's not very handy to work
like that yet in my opinion. I wish that was possible with iMaschine
and LoopMash HD. iMaschine has only an iTunes and a SoundCloud Export.
Would be very nice for drums.I haven't tried it with LoopMash yet.

Oh, I love iMaschine, sound there are best in class. After playing with app, I decided to buy Maschine.
And I dream when iMaschine will support something like Audiobus or at least Audiocopy.
ipadmusic.com

Postby No1DaBeats » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:44 am

Have you tried the App "Electronic Piano Synthesizer" with this?
It supports virtual midi and audio paste so it should work.
Wow. This is almost like looking for new VSTs. :)

Maybe we should make a list here with Apps that can be used this way in Cubasis?
Mac Mini (Mac OS X 10.8.5; Intel QuadCore i7 2,3GHz; 16GB RAM; 1600MHz Frontbus), Steinberg UR28M, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, AKG K271 Studio, Beyerdynamic DT 770 M, Focusrite ISA One, Shure SM7b, iCON Neuron 5, Steinberg CMC CH, PD, TP & QC, Steinberg Cubase 7.5.20, WaveLab 8.0.2, HALion 5 (Version 2.2.5), HALion Sonic 2 (Version 2.2.4), Halion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet, Neo Soul Keys, The Grand 3 (Version 3.1.0), Padshop Pro, Groove Agent 4, Native Instruments Komplete 9, Steinberg-Yamaha Vintage Channel Strip & Vintage Open Deck & Vintage Stomp Pack

------

No1DaBeats

Postby No1DaBeats » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:52 am

Have you tried sample tank yet? It has virtual midi support but I didn't read about audio copy.
This would really make a difference as the sounds there are really good!

Edit: Just read that they added audio copy as an export function! The 17,99€ will be worth it
I guess. OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!

Edit: And it's me again. Just had a look at the ratings and it seems like the sounds are distorting
when having other apps opened while using it. So has anybody any experience with it?

------

No1DaBeats

Postby atlatnesiti » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 am

All Virtual MIDI capable apps can be controlled and recorded in Cubasis.
Have a lookie here:
http://www.iosmusician.com/2011/09/list ... -midi.html
Some of my favourites that I use are: Addictive Synth, Sunrizer, NLog Pro, Magelian, Wavegenerator, Arctic Keys, CrystalSynth XT, Korg iMS-20 and iPlolysix, Animoog and Casini to name the few.
iMac i7 2.8GHz 16GB RAM, OS X.10.10, iOS 8, iPad 4 64GB LTE, iPad Air 128GB LTE, iApogee Quartet, M-Audio Axiom PRO 49, Cubase 7.5, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live Suite 9, Reason 7, Tracktion 5, WaveLab Elements 8, various iOS Apps, VSTi's, AU's and hardware synths...
atlatnesiti

Postby No1DaBeats » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 am

atlatnesiti wrote:All Virtual MIDI capable apps can be controlled and recorded in Cubasis.
Have a lookie here:
Some of my favourites that I use are: Addictive Synth, Sunrizer, NLog Pro, Magelian, Wavegenerator, Arctic Keys, CrystalSynth XT, Korg iMS-20 and iPlolysix, Animoog and Casini to name the few.

Cool! Thank you!

------

No1DaBeats

Postby ipadmusic.com » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:30 am

No1DaBeats wrote:Have you tried sample tank yet? It has virtual midi support but I didn't read about audio copy.
This would really make a difference as the sounds there are really good!

Edit: Just read that they added audio copy as an export function! The 17,99€ will be worth it
I guess. OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!

Edit: And it's me again. Just had a look at the ratings and it seems like the sounds are distorting
when having other apps opened while using it. So has anybody any experience with it?

SampleTank is great but it doesn't work with Cubasis ((
I checked it in different ways.
It seems that these two apps conflicting on the background sound level.
That's why I tried to make Cubasis work with GarageBand and FL Studio.

Same thing with BeatMaker 2 (May be I'm wrong with BM but I couldn't manage to make it work as instrument for Cubasis)
ipadmusic.com

Postby ipadmusic.com » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:37 am

atlatnesiti wrote:All Virtual MIDI capable apps can be controlled and recorded in Cubasis.
Have a lookie here:

Nice list!
I would add there GarageBand. Though they don't announce it officially but in fact it works fine when you use it virtual midi sequencers - see in my video, I routed Cubasis midi out to virtual midi and GB works very well even in the background.
ipadmusic.com

Postby beatpete » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm

ipadmusic.com wrote:

That's a shame, I was really hoping I could use Sampletank with Cubasis, hopefully this will get addressed eventually (before I shell out 50 bucks)
Comp1: Windows 7 64bit, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Intel I7 970, 12 gig Patriot DDR3 ram, RME Digiface, Steinberg MR816x, Geoforce 66000 PCIe, , Cubase 7.5.20 64bit
Comp 2:Windows 7 64bit,Celeron G540,16 gb ram, VEPro.
beatpete

Postby ipadmusic.com » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:06 pm

beatpete wrote:
ipadmusic.com wrote:

That's a shame, I was really hoping I could use Sampletank with Cubasis, hopefully this will get addressed eventually (before I shell out 50 bucks)

It is not a bug of Cubasis I think, it is wrong implementation of background audio and virtual midi in Sampletank. Hope they will fix it.
ipadmusic.com

Postby Akamarko » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 pm

ipadmusic.com wrote:It is not a bug of Cubasis I think, it is wrong implementation of background audio and virtual midi in Sampletank. Hope they will fix it.

I posted a request on Ik Multimedia's Facebook page for Audiobus support and they say it is being discussed. (whatever that means) Ya, their background audio is flaky at best. I bought their iRig keys as a controller and it's pretty flaky as well. THEY claim io6 as the culprit... Hopefully they get things sorted out all round with their apps and gear.
iPad 2, iPhone 5, Mac Mini
iRig Keys, iRig Mic, iRig guitar, You Rock Guitar (midi guitar) Mobile In Guitar, GarageBand, Alchemy, Sunrizer, Cubasis, Music Studio, Amplitube, Mobile POD, MultiTrack, bs-16i, SampleTank, AudioBus, AmpKit, JamUp XT, G2M
Epiphone Les Paul Special GT
Music For iPad
Akamarko

Postby No1DaBeats » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:08 am

When they'll get this fixed, we'll have a bomb of a combo here.

------

No1DaBeats

Postby Akamarko » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 am

No1DaBeats wrote:When they'll get this fixed, we'll have a bomb of a combo here.

You got that right my man!
iPad 2, iPhone 5, Mac Mini
iRig Keys, iRig Mic, iRig guitar, You Rock Guitar (midi guitar) Mobile In Guitar, GarageBand, Alchemy, Sunrizer, Cubasis, Music Studio, Amplitube, Mobile POD, MultiTrack, bs-16i, SampleTank, AudioBus, AmpKit, JamUp XT, G2M
Epiphone Les Paul Special GT
Music For iPad
Akamarko

Postby No1DaBeats » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:11 am

Just added the iMPC to my apps today. It's quite nice. I like the look and feel and
the delivered samples are great. When they add virtual midi it's gonna be my choice for drums.
Right now I make the beats and audiocopy them to Cubasis.
This whole iOS thing is becoming quite anoying. How hard can it be to add virtual midi
support for an app that already is able to receive Midi data (the iMPC was released with
the MPC fly)? I get the feeling that there's always something missing no matter what app.

Another thing: I just don't understand why NI and Akai are so fixed on getting the user to use
their creepy host applications for further work on the stuff that you made
on the go. Sure, I'd use machine and I'd use an MPC Studio. But NOT their hosts.
They're jokes. I just want the right patch loaded with the midi data I created
on the go in my host of choice. This strategy is so lame.
They'd sell more of it when they'd keep it a little more open!
Frustrating! :x

They produce good hardware and plugins. But when will they finally get it
that their hosts suck?!

------

No1DaBeats

Postby Francesc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Sample tank and iMPC with virtual midi will be great until you try and mix tracks down... And just get left with a load of blank tracks. Audiobus is the only real way of getting apps to work with cubase at the moment.
Francesc

Postby No1DaBeats » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:38 am

You need virtual midi to kerp all the apps in sync...
then record the stuff with audiobus. I think that both
should be implemented to start a real production with them.

------

No1DaBeats

Return to Cubasis